Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

D-Day 70 Years

• Moderators

i hope all those fellas had the best day they could, today

must be a proper mixture of emotions for em

IF being in the eu makes war less likely, i really don't care what it costs me

i'm going to listen to the radio 2 concert now

not sure why i can only red button it and the bbc dont feel they can show it on the proper channels

not sure why i can only red button it and the bbc dont feel they can show it on the proper channels

That isn't the case, they have caused the Ukraine situation

Just wondering how many people commenting on the bravery and sacrifice of these men did not vote in the recent elections ?

They fought to protect our rights, and 70 years later so many people can not give up 5 minutes of their time to respect that fact.

By not voting you mean not being arsed to go to the polling station ?

Or going to the polling station and invalidating your ballot paper.

You can play the semantics card as much as you want but people died to protect freedom and democracy, I would give your agreement some credibility if you actually thought that people were really exercising their democratic right not to vote rather than just not giving a toss and taking the rights heroes died to protect for granted.

I take it you did not vote ?

• Moderators

i didn't vote

i exercised my right not to

did most people who thought do it to protect freedom and democracy or

1 - they got told to

2 - they were protecting their families

(whatever, they were braver than me so i'll respect their sacrifice)

The Second World War was definitely to protect freedom, I think the Germans had plans to slightly alter our way of life.

I actually do think you respect their bravery and sacrifice as do the vast majority of people who did not vote.

My point is that it is very easy to take what we have for granted and for that we should be eternally grateful.

Over time a lot of the values we went to war for have just faded away, which is a sad reflection on the country as a whole.

My point is that it is very easy to take what we have for granted and for that we should be eternally grateful.

Over time a lot of the values we went to war for have just faded away, which is a sad reflection on the country as a whole.

Who says we aren't grateful? Abstaining is as much a choice as voting. That's democracy. 

We went to war to defend freedom and democracy. I'd say that those values are even more evident in this country now than they were back then.

Edited by COYW

The Second World War was definitely to protect freedom, I think the Germans had plans to slightly alter our way of life.

I actually do think you respect their bravery and sacrifice as do the vast majority of people who did not vote.

Indeed - it's important to remember what could have happened. Not a 9/11 atrocity or some such individual acts that we are most aware of nowadays but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sea_Lion

and to quote from that...

"According to captured German documents, the commander-in-chief of the German Army, Walther von Brauchitsch, directed that “The able-bodied male population between the ages of 17 and 45 will, unless the local situation calls for an exceptional ruling, be interned and dispatched to the Continent”. This represented about 25% of male citizens. The UK was then to be plundered for anything of financial, military, industrial or cultural value,"

Few current WW members would be here now if that had happened.

They were showing it in Cinemas all over the country

Who says we aren't grateful? Abstaining is as much a choice as voting. That's democracy. 

We went to war to defend freedom and democracy. I'd say that those values are even more evident in this country now than they were back then.

Please try and keep up.

Abstaining is a choice, sitting at home not voting is not abstaining.

Unless I abstained last Sunday.

I have generally fallen on the it's your choice not to vote side of the argument, but seeing Kabul today and what it means to these people concentrates the mind a bit. The polls opened at 7am and at half 6 the city was being twatted with Taleban rockets, once of which caused me to jump as I was brushing my teeth. What if I'd pushed my toothbrush through my nose and up into my brain?

In fact there are people here who are turning out in spite of the risks and spoiling their papers, just out of defiance. It is more important to them to be seen to be voting than choosing a candidate. Good for them.