Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pubs

tomski

Greenwood was always shit, sad to see the Queens will never be the pub it once was but the borough of H does alright for supping establishments.

I believe there's a charity day in September where all the pubs are doing something for Derian House.

A huge Street party.  Well, they're closing the roads which will make the crawl safer, but I think there may be more to it, like DJ's and outside bars.  Could actually be quite good if organised right.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pubs should be painted everywhere in black gloss paint, smell of stale-ish ale with slight undertones of pipe smoke and blue toilet blocks, they should sell pickled eggs, cheese and onion or salt and vinegar crisps and possibly Planters Dry Roasted.

The only wine should be served from a box, kids allowed in only with their dad - and must drink Britvic or full sugar Coke with their crisps (one child per dad, one dad with child per pub - more than two and they have to play outside together on the car park).

There should be loads of bottles without optics and covered in dust - Drambuie, Glayva, Midori, Creme de Menthe etc.

A few tables with legs fashioned from old Singer sewing machines woudln't go amiss.

And finally, anyone under 25 should have an opinion on precisely f*ck all and should limit their conversation to; ''Is anyone reading this paper?'', ''I'm going for a piss'', ''Can I have a pint of...'' and ''good shot'' or ''shot''.

Halliwell Rd use to be a decent night out years back, 13 boozers from top to bottom, now there's about 5 or 6 and most of those are shit holes

we used to get a taxi to the ainsworth and work our way down every few weeks. That was over 20 years ago though. It's a shame as it was a cracking night

The Ainsworth has re-opened again and it's exactly the same as it was before it closed but repainted and still a decent boozer

Fox and Stork has re-opened again and that's had a bit of work done to it and is a decent boozer

After that it's the same old shit holes

• Moderators

A huge Street party.  Well, they're closing the roads which will make the crawl safer, but I think there may be more to it, like DJ's and outside bars.  Could actually be quite good if organised right.

creating traffic congestion?

oh dear, we cant be having that

The Ainsworth has re-opened again and it's exactly the same as it was before it closed but repainted and still a decent boozer

Fox and Stork has re-opened again and that's had a bit of work done to it and is a decent boozer

After that it's the same old shit holes

rag best pub on road

I think it's because the price threshold has reached the point where you're not merry enough to the point of thinking:

"Aah, fuck it, I'll have another!"

Without breaking into a second note...

The 'I'll just have one more' would usually result in many more, now folk are likely to spend £10 on two or three (possibly four) pints then think, "fuck it, I'm off home".

When I mentioned the term 'speakeasy' it reminded me of an archaic term (for a speakeasy) I'd read about - 'Blind Pig'. Anyhow, I did a Google for Blind Pig and came across this - I'll bet it's a £5 a drink in here, all that's wrong with modern drinking, even worse than food-serving creche style boozers...

Hipsters.

http://www.socialeatinghouse.com/

Is the Ainsworth now any good - it had turned crap over the last 5 years.

Used to be ours families tradition to do the Halliwell mile on your 18th - be nice if the Ainsworth was ok so I had a pub I could walk to when I'm visiting the folks.

Yes it's back to how it was in the "good old days"

Finches fashions

His dad use to be the Mayor of Bolton and when he was voted in he was in the BEN banging on about dodgey clothes and how he was going to clamp down on it all. Finchy turned up on purpose at his dad's mayors ceremony in one of own dodgey Polo shirts and had his photo taken with him, funny as fuck

The owner of Bolton stone had him painting them church railings facing the rag on April fool's day,saying he's just got the contract for it,started painting them in the morning,he got told after dinner he was a April fool,they're still half painted

Edited by scallywell