Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

The premiership is undoubtedly a great achievement 

however it will hurt city that Liverpool, United & Chelsea all won the champions league & competed in finals not that long ago 

even spurs coming along and lifting it will anger them, city fans thought they was invincible and would win the CL

• Members
3 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Holy fuck balls, I bet UEFA are proper pissed off, there could be 4 English teams contesting the 2 European finals. 

How good would that be? Not guaranteed mind after the way these two semi finals were turned on their heads!

Superb game last night. You could just see that young Ajax team had done their dash in the first half. Still hit the post before Spurs got the winner though.

Missus giving me the puzzled expression about why I should be so buzzing about it. All I could say is "this is why we love football".

• Members
4 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Quinny.  Another good lad, and though he was mostly pro/Liverpool  he appeared at a few Bolton games.

Remember John well. Didn't he used to go to Anfield with a Breightmet lad, Jimmy Hall?

I know City as a club are desperate for a Champions League win and I'm sure they will at some point soon but they do have the very real chance of doing a domestic treble this season which isn't to be underestimated.

Got some great managers over here at the moment, maybe not the absolute greatest players on show but definitely managers any other team would love to have. Cant picture us competing at that level ever again as it stands, different sport.

• Members
1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

But we are all Spurs for the final

Well, after the Muamba incident, they must be most BWFC fans "other team" (for those that feel the need to have one that is)?

Not arsed which one wins it in truth. There's an argument which says Liverpool winning it would be OK from the near total domination of football by NW England (Lancashire really) angle - one which I tease the Southerners in our scooter club with on regular occasion. On top of that, Liverpool have been more consistent than Spurs this season so maybe are more deserving.

Still, never one who wants to miss out on a good grief monkey vigil and liking the Pochett Rocket (I like Klippety too), there would be some serious schadenfreude to be had if the constant victims ended up only with two runners up medals. Fuck it - "Come on you Spurs".

• Members
27 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I know City as a club are desperate for a Champions League win and I'm sure they will at some point soon but they do have the very real chance of doing a domestic treble this season which isn't to be underestimated.

A point lost on some. The DMB's treble was different. Has any club actually ever won the English domestic treble before? Liverpool or the DMB's in their respective heydays?

Struggling to remember such a feat being achieved (and, of course, City have yet to actually do it).

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

A point lost on some. The DMB's treble was different. Has any club actually ever won the English domestic treble before? Liverpool or the DMB's in their respective heydays?

Struggling to remember such a feat being achieved (and, of course, City have yet to actually do it).

Think United would have if Villa didn't beat them in Coca Cola cup final mid 90s? 

Might get overlooked a bit but if they do the domestic treble it'd be very impressive.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Think United would have if Villa didn't beat them in Coca Cola cup final mid 90s? 

Might get overlooked a bit but if they do the domestic treble it'd be very impressive.

it would, no doubt about it, but the shine will be taken off it for their fans by an all English CL final not involving them - obviously they will take it as and when but most City fans want this team with players like Silva, Aguero and Kompany to win it for them

and the media, rightly or wrongly, will wank off Liverpool or Spurs more for a CL win than a domestic treble, no doubt about it

and Utd's treble was more impressive

these are the things which grate them

Credit to Spurs but I felt for Ajax last night. They've been the feelgood story of this years competition. A club with a fantastic tradition and history that can no longer compete financially with the giants, but through astute coaching and recruitment had assembled a fantastic young team that played without fear. 

Come the summer they will be picked over and dismembered. That was their chance and they were 30 seconds from reaching the final. That will be difficult to live with for everyone connected with the club.

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

Credit to Spurs but I felt for Ajax last night. They've been the feelgood story of this years competition. A club with a fantastic tradition and history that can no longer compete financially with the giants, but through astute coaching and recruitment had assembled a fantastic young team that played without fear. 

Come the summer they will be picked over and dismembered. That was their chance and they were 30 seconds from reaching the final. That will be difficult to live with for everyone connected with the club.

Very true, though in fairness spurs haven't exactly splashed the cash in the same way as others.

Ultimately it's the way the majority of clubs will have to operate and is shows what can be done.

If they keep doing it, sell players and make more profit, then in time they may be able to compete a bit more.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Very true, though in fairness spurs haven't exactly splashed the cash in the same way as others.

Ultimately it's the way the majority of clubs will have to operate and is shows what can be done.

If they keep doing it, sell players and make more profit, then in time they may be able to compete a bit more.

Yes Spurs have done everything right, invested in their infrastructure, got a great manager and been very careful with their wages and transfer budget. Full credit to them, especially for overcoming the oil wealth doped Man City, it's only that the premier league tv riches give them a huge advantage over the likes of Ajax that wouldn't make them the feelgood story.

I have to say I prefer my european finals to have different nationalities in the final, rather than teams that meet each other often already, but it's certainly notable that there could be 4 English teams contesting the two finals.

The Germans and Italians are well of the pace. Looks like the pendulum has shifted from Spain to England.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

well they have, but the reason why they've not spent it on players is because they spent it on their new ground (reports say it cost £1bn and much of this was borrowed)

be interesting to see if they now start to spend big on players, now the ground is finished

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

well they have, but the reason why they've not spent it on players is because they spent it on their new ground (reports say it cost £1bn and much of this was borrowed)

be interesting to see if they now start to spend big on players, now the ground is finished

Absolutely. Arsenal were similar.

Once the higher attendances start yielding more funds, and the TV money, they'll be able to loosen the purse strings.

Credit still needs to be given to the coaching set up. To create that on lower spending is excellent.

If only we could get a similarly effective set up next.