Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

In amongst the debate about fascists, antifascists etc etc it's worth watching a televised conversation from decades ago that had two combatants Jonathon Miller and Enoch Powell who were - for whatever their faults - intelligent and capable of dueling with aplomb. And at 10:21 Miller (using his medical background) hits him with a metaphor so astonishing that it even leaves Powell slack jawed with admiration. And one that still has resonance decades later for all sorts of reasons...

Watch it from the start and then think on Miller's brilliant point, one that transcends mere debate about race etc

3 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Do you actually believe anyone on here is? Honest question.

You know that all of the recent violent protests, supposedly around BLM, defending women in the street and supporing the right of peaceful protest, have all been hijacked by left wing extremists, who are seizing the opportunity.

So, which is it from naivety, being blind to it or supporting it?

7 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

If you think the comments from MI5 are 'outdated' from November then I take it last summers BLM protests are also outdated?

Yes, they are outdated. Please remind me how many far right terror plots were stopped ?

As promised, here is the up to date facts, over 800 live investigations, now tell me from your own link, how many far right plots were there ?

As I have said repeatedly, and Basu himself said in 2019, the far right count for a very small portion of these attacks, so a doubling of plots could be as minute as 4 to 8, whereas hundreds of live investigations/plots are being centred on elsewhere.

The smaller the number, will see a greater percentage.

Anyway, here is the latest, enjoy

https://www.counterterrorism.police.uk/statistics-reveal-three-plots-foiled-by-ct-policing-and-ukic-during-covid-19/

4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

You know that all of the recent violent protests, supposedly around BLM, defending women in the street and supporing the right of peaceful protest, have all been hijacked by left wing extremists, who are seizing the opportunity.

He knows mate and won't be so cocksure once the newer figures come out which include all their activity.

8 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Think MI5 might be looking into more than what happened just last week.

MI5 have certainly got their hands full with more than 800 live investigations,  remind me again the figures for far right plots.

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

MI5 have certainly got their hands full with more than 800 live investigations,  remind me again the figures for far right plots.

Thanks in advance.

Fuck knows. Working on a roof all day gives you a good view, so you know best. Obviously.

11 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Please go ahead and explain how we are being blind to this or supporting it? 

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

Please go ahead and explain how we are being blind to this or supporting it? 

I've already said.

But, I'll repeat;

If not naivete, being blind to it or supporting it, what else is it?

I'm open to suggestions.

4 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Fuck knows. Working on a roof all day gives you a good view, so you know best. Obviously.

4 plots as per the report.

Here, as you're perfect, which group had the most people imprisoned for terror offences last year, and which killed the most ? Go on, have a stab at the answer.... excuse the pun.....

Like I say, the smaller the numbers, then the potential for a much larger gain, but in reality as any normal and sensible person can see, that purely takes the headline away from something much bigger and a greater threat.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Yes, they are outdated. Please remind me how many far right terror plots were stopped ?

As promised, here is the up to date facts, over 800 live investigations, now tell me from your own link, how many far right plots were there ?

As I have said repeatedly, and Basu himself said in 2019, the far right count for a very small portion of these attacks, so a doubling of plots could be as minute as 4 to 8, whereas hundreds of live investigations/plots are being centred on elsewhere.

https://www.counterterrorism.police.uk/statistics-reveal-three-plots-foiled-by-ct-policing-and-ukic-during-covid-19/

What am I missing? That link says 3 plots foiled but doesn't attribute them to anyone 

What are we meant to take from this link? 

Here, as you're perfect, which group had the most people imprisoned for terror offences last year, and which killed the most ? Go on, have a stab at the answer.... excuse the pun.....

Like I say, the smaller the numbers, then the potential for a much larger gain, but in reality as any normal and sensible person can see, that purely takes the headline away from something much bigger and a greater threat.

Not a greater threat if you support them and their actions.

Terror group? No idea. Enlighten me

1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

I've already said.

But, I'll repeat;

If not naivete, being blind to it or supporting it, what else is it?

I'm open to suggestions.

I'm confused mate. I'm having a discussion with Miami about which side is the worst. All I'm saying is that extremism is an equal issue on both sides (IMO).

I've said that the Bristol protest was grim and the timing of the women's safety protest was poor. These are causes I believe in, so I'm as pissed off as the next person on here when they're hijacked.

But I've said all that before on here.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

Take into account the 800 live investigations, that is the key.

It doesn't say into who though 

My money would be on Muslims 

They're not regarded as the left, are they?

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

I'm confused mate. I'm having a discussion with Miami about which side is the worst. All I'm saying is that extremism is an equal issue on both sides (IMO).

I've said that the Bristol protest was grim and the timing of the women's safety protest was poor. These are causes I believe in, so I'm as pissed off as the next person on here when they're hijacked.

It appears every one of your causes is hijacked 🤔

You sound like Jonah.......please stop supporting the Wanderers 😄  

Just now, Zico said:

It doesn't say into who though 

My money would be on Muslims 

They're not regarded as the left, are they?

Said that to London Wanderer last night, some claim them as far right extremists too, though they prefer to class them as Islamists. Quite interesting digging deeper on that subject, as some class themselves as neither and some are far right.

5 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

On this year's leaderboard then, the left are well out in front......do you agree ?

29 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

This links confusing mate. What's your point? If it is 4-8 foiled plots then that's potentially a lot of lives saved by the police. Then there are the rising rates of hate crime. Over 100,00 last year. How many far-left extremists have tried to kill people in the past year out of interest?

Not really interested in going over this argument mate. You haven't got any proof so we're just going in circles. I'm not trying to deflect what happened in Bristol. It was grim and I hope those involved are brought to justice. Lots of tidy investigation work carried out by the cops in the past few days. 

Edited by London Wanderer

4 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

The discussion with Miami was taken, by you, to be about which extremists are worse.

Miami didn't pick up on that. I did, but didn't participate.

So, I'm taking us back a couple of days.