Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V Sweden

Marc505

We were on top last night for nigh on 105 of 120 minutes.

A little more quality (and better refereeing) and we win easy imo. 

I think we're due a result that reflects performance and this ere momentum - we will have lots of it now, and belief

3 - 1  

Please though, drop Sterling.  I really want him to do well but his end product is always frustratingly bobbins

• Moderators

I'll be on a plane.

I was on a plane when we beat Germany 5-1

The yank pilot announced the score when we landed but just assumed he got it wrong

Was about 4 days later I saw it on SSN in some sports bar

Very difficult side Sweden, won’t make it easy for us to create chances

Be very similar to yesterday, extra time or even penalties

England to go through

Yep. Change the system. Don't need 3 at the back, get an extra attacking player in there and beef up the midfield.

The way we played didn't really work last night in terms of creating chances and the wing backs were knackered towards the end.

Yep. Change the system. Don't need 3 at the back, get an extra attacking player in there and beef up the midfield.

The way we played didn't really work last night in terms of creating chances and the wing backs were knackered towards the end.

Go on brain box....

Lets change the fundamental shape of the team.

Who are we putting in midfield, Lotus-Cheek i presume?

So your suggested team lines up how exactly? A midfield of Alli, Sterling, Lotus Cheek, Lingard & Henderson?

Crack on talking bollocks...

Edited by jimmyjoojar

absolutely no chance do you change anything about the formation, Stones or Maguire can push in alongside Henderson to give an extra man in midfield

2 changes in personnel, Rose for Young. the chance Rose had in extra time shows why a left footed LB is needed. Young hasnt got in behind an opponents RB in 3 games so far and his delivery has been average at best 

Rashford in for Sterling. calls for Sterling to be dropped after Tunisia were very premature. He deserved a 2nd chance. Hes now had 3. Nothing is happening for him, nothing is working for him and his touch reminds me of a dog trying to catch a tennis ball with its mouth across a field. just hits him and fucks off further away from him

Sweden will sit quite deep so Sterling running in to the channels wont be a huge asset. Rashford can drop off like he did against Costa Rica

Semi's here we come 

• Site Supporter

I was on a plane when we beat Germany 5-1

The yank pilot announced the score when we landed but just assumed he got it wrong

Was about 4 days later I saw it on SSN in some sports bar

The obvious pay off of a victory over Sweden would be watching the semi in a beach bar having spent all day lounging by the pool.

It'll be worth missing for that.

Go on brain box....

Lets change the fundamental shape of the team.

Who are we putting in midfield, Lotus-Cheek i presume?

So your suggested team lines up how exactly? A midfield of Alli, Sterling, Lotus Cheek, Lingard & Henderson?

Crack on talking bollocks...

I'd go with what Big Sam said on the radio this morning.

4 at the back, Rashford, Kane and Sterling as a front 3.

Henderson, LC, Lingard/Alli in midfield.

We aren't creating chances and so far Sweden will be the best defensive team we've played.

The 3 at the back will be marking 1 main striker and getting pulled out wide (as happened second half yesterday). 

Pretending that the system worked is silly. It didn't. It worked for 45 minutes but we didn't create clear chances. When Colombia got any pressure on us the wingbacks become a 5 and we had gaps in midfield.

• Moderators

The obvious pay off of a victory over Sweden would be watching the semi in a beach bar having spent all day lounging by the pool.

It'll be worth missing for that.

You'll have a beer, fall asleep for a few hours and end up in hospital with sunstroke. Stay away from the sun on semi final day, not worth the risk.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.