Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boxing Day memories

radcliffe white

37 minutes ago, wakey said:

Everton abandoned game when Reidy got injured, late 1970s. Sure it was boxing day.

New Years Day?

Anyway, Sunderland at home, that header, 42,000

• Moderators
1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Did same, wouldn’t mind didn’t seem that bad the weather from what I remember 

Aye, was a shock, didn't even think to check beforehand

Only good thing that came from the day was driving back up the m6 in slow traffic and past some wolves fans who'd broke down en route to Stockport so they were clearly missing their match too

3 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Aye, was a shock, didn't even think to check beforehand

Only good thing that came from the day was driving back up the m6 in slow traffic and past some wolves fans who'd broke down en route to Stockport so they were clearly missing their match too

We stopped in alderley edge on the way home and had a good drink all afternoon.

• Site Supporter

1st I really remember taking the piss with our away support was Blackpool mid 80’s, took thousands.

didnt we lose at PNE on the plastic on Boxing Day too with quite a few there? 3-1 seems to spring to mind, maybe 1990ish

Edited by Biggish Dave

4 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

1st I really remember taking the piss with our away support was Blackpool mid 80’s, took thousands.

didnt we lose at PNE on the plastic on Boxing Day too with quite a few there? 3-1 seems to spring to mind, maybe 1990ish

Early KO that day, 12,000, must have taken 5000.

4 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Anyway, Sunderland at home, that header, 42,000

I always thought that was Boxing Day but someone recently told me that it was the 27th?? "The Burnden Bulge" headline in the BEN next day

And thinking back I'm sure my Dad was at Oldham the day before and stood on the Oldham paddock and had his pocket picked - yonner cunts nicked his wallet and he was on the dole at the time  

Am I wrong? Did we play games in consecutive days? Or am I a mixed-up old fucker?

2 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I always thought that was Boxing Day but someone recently told me that it was the 27th?? "The Burnden Bulge" headline in the BEN next day

And thinking back I'm sure my Dad was at Oldham the day before and stood on the Oldham paddock and had his pocket picked - yonner cunts nicked his wallet and he was on the dole at the time  

Am I wrong? Did we play games in consecutive days? Or am I a mixed-up old fucker?

You are correct, i went both games. 24,537 at Boundary Park and 42,680 on our gaff against Sunderland the day after.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, SalfordOriginal said:

Was it boxing day or new years day that Paul Comstive scored two direct from corners?  Think we won 4-2 but can't for the life of me think who against (want to say Bournemouth)

Yes it was Bournemouth - but New Year’s Day, around 1988

edit, just looked it was NYD 1991

Edited by Biggish Dave