Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dogs. (Not another Miami/Little Whitt dating thread)

Rudy

• Site Supporter
58 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Ex-fucking-actly.

I rest my case. Dogs can fuck off.

Unless I go blind then I'm all for a nice labrador

Aye, then you can’t tell what you’ve stood in until it oozes between your toes.

Edited by Steejay

• Members

Desperately want one but can't due to near future travel plans.

I would have no hesitation in getting a male Jack Russell (long or short haired - wouldn't matter). My brother bred them in NSW for a while and his alpha male (Pirate) was a fucking belter. Fearless, smart as a whip and brilliant with the kids.

Smart enough to get out at night to go hunting and feighting. Brought all sorts home, snakes, rats, you name it. Had some cracking scars from his exploits but didn't come back one day. Took on something bigger, stronger or venomous no doubt. I loved that dog.

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Desperately want one but can't due to near future travel plans.

I would have no hesitation in getting a male Jack Russell (long or short haired - wouldn't matter). My brother bred them in NSW for a while and his alpha male (Pirate) was a fucking belter. Fearless, smart as a whip and brilliant with the kids.

Smart enough to get out at night to go hunting and feighting. Brought all sorts home, snakes, rats, you name it. Had some cracking scars from his exploits but didn't come back one day. Took on something bigger, stronger or venomous no doubt. I loved that dog.

The dog version of Bolty. Taking on all comers, bikers, mafia and snakes. No fear, no flip flops. 

Fucking nails. 

• Site Supporter
On 23/04/2020 at 16:46, Winchester White said:

Talking of dogs, mine suddenly stopped being able to move his back legs on Monday night. Took him to vets Tuesday and it is not looking good for the poor little bugger. He is a miniature dachshund and looks like he has fucked his back up bouncing around the place, he is only 5. Checked insurance and whilst he is covered for life it only pays out £1000 a year per condition. MRI scan is nearly £2k and surgery £6k. We don't have that kind of cash. I have seriously fucked up there.

Vet is enquiring with animal hospitals to see if they can help out with cheaper surgery and scans.

Shit, sorry for crashing your thread Rudy

Sorry to get back so late

The breed is apparently prone to some thing called DachsyBack (that’s the colloquial term - IVDD in vet world)

Bottom line is that you’re either forking out or putting the dog to sleep. The surgery will sort the protruding disc material and the dog has a better than even chance of walking again.

the age is on the dogs side but it’s a long recovery she says.

Sorry I couldn’t bring better news mate, hope it gets sorted.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter

As a related aside

My missus says that if you are getting a dog, check what sort of conditions the breed is susceptible to.

Then speak to a few insurance companies and check what they cover. Some are good, most are wankers. But for French Bulldogs in particular the insurance companies won’t cover a lot of known conditions or will cap payouts.

Basically, do your homework. Properly. And be prepared to pay high premiums for decent cover.

Edited by Spider

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

As a related aside

My missus says that if you are getting a dog, check what sort of conditions the breed is susceptible to.

Then speak to a few insurance companies and check what they cover. Some are good, most are wankers. But for French Bulldogs in particular the insurance companies won’t cover a lot of known conditions or will cap payouts.

Basically, do your homework. Properly. And be prepared to pay high premiums for decent cover.

Does nobody just get mongrels anymore?

2 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I saw a program about the breeding of French Bulldogs. It shouldn’t be happening, they’re setting up these dogs to have health issues for the rest of their lives. 

I saw an interview with the bloke who first bred a labradoodle. Aussie fella said he wished he’d never bothered 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I honestly can’t remember. He bred it for a blind person with an allergy to usual guide dogs.

Apparently they are hypo allergenic?

that's the one..

said he wishes he hadn't bothered as there are so many cross breeds now that some are going against the original concept.. Labradoodles were to be working dogs that served a purpose.. clever but hypoallergenic and shed free.. however it turned into a mixture of dogs that are fashion statements and tradition dog breeds are now dying out.. 

Personally i think it's no worse than the people who bred cavalier KC to have brain issues due to small heads, or pugs to have breathing problems.. loads of breed problems from selective breeding. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, mickbrown said:

Robbing gits 

Labradoodle... then turns out that mum got out at doggy day care... 

11 puppies, few different mixes in there... I wouldn't change him for the world, just exhibits a lot of non labradoodle traits, and that's apparently the hound in him. 

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, Spider said:

Sorry to get back so late

The breed is apparently prone to some thing called DachsyBack (that’s the colloquial term - IVDD in vet world)

Bottom line is that you’re either forking out or putting the dog to sleep. The surgery will sort the protruding disc material and the dog has a better than even chance of walking again.

the age is on the dogs side but it’s a long recovery she says.

Sorry I couldn’t bring better news mate, hope it gets sorted.

Cheers mate. He had a CT scan at that place in Bolton behind the old college this aft and they are operating tomorrow. £2600 is considerably cheaper than the £7k+ some places charge.

I just hope he can get back some quality of life.