Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

I've never watched it on purpose. When it was on in the house as a kid, I thought it was shite and old fashioned, the audience full of poncey southern twats that I had no common ground with at all. Never bothered since. 

I couldn't give a shit if it was never on again. 

me neither, I wouldn't even notice if they stopped doing them

only time I've ever made a concious effort to tune in was when Seth MacFarlane did some crooning

13 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

That better, unfortunately the wifi and reception in my office at work ain't to savvy, but just for you Mick, it reads the same, and what a top article it is to, pretty much sums up how the majority feel.

Get the Billy Bragg take on it as well, so both reasonable and balanced. Imo

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/26/does-bbc-have-death-wish-proms-posturing-suggests-much/

Aye, I read it anyway😀

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, gonzo said:

:D

It's like European fishing deals

No one knew anything about them or gave a fuck till someone brought them up in build up to Brexit

Then they became a cornerstone of British life

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, peelyfeet said:

I've never watched it on purpose. When it was on in the house as a kid, I thought it was shite and old fashioned, the audience full of poncey southern twats that I had no common ground with at all. Never bothered since. 

I couldn't give a shit if it was never on again. 

Dear me, Michael I can understand, but not you!

A little story, used to work with a fella who was an absolutely top class; despite him being a city fan, full of tats and not being averse to the odd bit of dancing at matches. The last bloke you'd ever associate with such music.

Then one lunch time, I walked past his van and to my surprise classic fm was being played, firmly. We both enjoyed the music and then I said to him that I was surprised. His reply was something along the lines of "its the only chance I get to listen to some good music with these heathens I work with". :)

Brilliant. 

Classical/traditional music is for everybody, certainly not the preserve of poncey southern twats.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Does anybody on here actually enjoy last night at the proms?

I know Crawley does. 

I've always thought it was a middle class wank fest.

Yes. Not every time, nor all of it, but generally yes.

Wouldn't pay the price to go, but enjoyable on the box nonetheless. 

Some of the other proms are dire.

5 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Nah, like someone said earlier it's full of toffs and southerners, nothing wrong with a bit of patriotism.

It's one of them, some will like it some won't, but it doesn't mean those that don't like it want to get rid of it or change it.

I find it shit - in the same way that I find the boat race shit.

5 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Nah, like someone said earlier it's full of toffs and southerners, nothing wrong with a bit of patriotism.

It's one of them, some will like it some won't, but it doesn't mean those that don't like it want to get rid of it or change it.

Agreed. Leave em to it. 

34 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A little story, used to work with a fella who was an absolutely top class; despite him being a city fan, full of tats and not being averse to the odd bit of dancing at matches. The last bloke you'd ever associate with such music.

Then one lunch time, I walked past his van and to my surprise classic fm was being played, firmly. We both enjoyed the music and then I said to him that I was surprised. His reply was something along the lines of "its the only chance I get to listen to some good music with these heathens I work with". :)

Brilliant. 

Classical/traditional music is for everybody, certainly not the preserve of poncey southern twats.

You implying I’m a philistine? Cheeky bugger😀

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Honestly? 

I thought it was one for the Pimm's brigade? :)

Get you and your family down to a day at the Shrewsbury flower festival one year. Loads of bands, food stalls, and things to see and do. Then sit on the grass in the evening, with all the other oiks as the fireworks go off to tremendous music.

Folk from all over the world of all different colours. 

No prejudice, snobbery (normal or inverse) etc., just folk coming together for a great experience. 

19 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Honestly? 

I thought it was one for the Pimm's brigade? :)

Seriously Ive watched it for as long as I can remember.Fuck knows why as I’m not interested in music or Anything. Maybe nostalgia As used to watch it with my gran.  

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Brilliant. 

I like the proms  just not the last night.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not this dirge stuff, some obscure composer trying to recreate the sound of a murdered cat?

Nah, none of the experimental ear hell, just good old fashioned classical music made by some bloke with a wig on  from czechoslovakia or Austria about 250 years ago. 

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Get you and your family down to a day at the Shrewsbury flower festival one year. Loads of bands, food stalls, and things to see and do. Then sit on the grass in the evening, with all the other oiks as the fireworks go off to tremendous music.

Folk from all over the world of all different colours. 

No prejudice, snobbery (normal or inverse) etc., just folk coming together for a great experience. 

Correct. Been to a few Opera’s in Prague. (Won’t be going anytime soon though) Real diverse audience. They don’t have a class system over there though and it’s relatively cheap. 
Even went to a Ballet last year at the Albert Halls.