Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

Why not? If I see a cow and tell someone "Look, there's a cow over there" do I have to explain to them what a cow is?

Because a cow is a breed of animal. 

The definition of a racist is not so clear cut. It is clearly open to interpretation. Assume you agree it is a shit thing to be. So if you are going to throw the accusation about not Unreasonable for someone to ask why. 

According to the science we're all a little bit racist. Even Cheese 😁

https://www.parents.com/baby/all-about-babies/science-says-everyones-a-little-bit-racist-even-babies/

Clearly though - if you're going to 'call out' racism then you need to have either some evidence, or a decent argument. Whilst myself and Mr. Grey see differently on plenty of things, it seems pretty harsh to label him as such. It isn't a nice thing to accuse someone of and I thought he handled it pretty calmly to be fair. Kinda think it's why the politics of the left is so fractured at the moment. All to quick to label people with opposing views on Brexit or immigration as bigots. It's turned a lot of folk away. 

• Site Supporter

I would have thought that some of that evidence can be seen in everyday life.

People of similar backgrounds, race, colour, wealth, status etc tend towards similar.

Clearly not solely so, but its just human nature. Doesn't mean they're an 'ist' of one sort or another. Irrespective of the screeches to the contrary of a few.

20 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

https://www.parents.com/baby/all-about-babies/science-says-everyones-a-little-bit-racist-even-babies/

Clearly though - if you're going to 'call out' racism then you need to have either some evidence, or a decent argument. Whilst myself and Mr. Grey see differently on plenty of things, it seems pretty harsh to label him as such. It isn't a nice thing to accuse someone of and I thought he handled it pretty calmly to be fair. Kinda think it's why the politics of the left is so fractured at the moment. All to quick to label people with opposing views on Brexit or immigration as bigots. It's turned a lot of folk away. 

All fair points. Cheese really isn’t worth a mention though. He regularly, verbally abuses people on here, including me. The bloke clearly has issues.

40 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I would have thought that some of that evidence can be seen in everyday life.

People of similar backgrounds, race, colour, wealth, status etc tend towards similar.

Clearly not solely so, but its just human nature. Doesn't mean they're an 'ist' of one sort or another. Irrespective of the screeches to the contrary of a few.

aye good points. 

As it points to in the article, we all often hold negative judgements of others in society. Could be anyone from rich folk to those on a council estate. Or students or Muslims etc. I guess decent people just see past difference or understand it through getting to know other communties and interacting with them. It would be good to see certain elements of the media not perpetuating certain stereotypes but I think the 'ist' card is all to often branded about out of context. 

1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

Fully agree that we are all a little bit discriminatory, it’s familiarity I suppose. When I worked in recruitment the Poles coming in were taking jobs way below their ability to get o the career ladder. However recruiting managers didn’t know if their education or pre ious employment was good or not (vs a British equivalent) 

On another note, when we went to Jamaica we got charged double to go up Dunnes River falls because we were white 

I’d say that the U.K. is one of the most inclusive, un racist countries in the world 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Fully agree that we are all a little bit racist 

When we went to Jamaica we got charged double to go up Dunnes River falls because we were white 

I’d say that the U.K. is one of the most inclusive, un racist countries in the world 

I am not sure that is racist, it is just making money from tourists, same the world over.

I paid 5 quid for a cap in Sri Lanka yet our guide could have got it for 2 quid, happens all the time.

Just now, Winchester White said:

I am not sure that is racist, it is just making money from tourists, same the world over.

I paid 5 quid for a cap in Sri Lanka yet our guide could have got it for 2 quid, happens all the time.

Aye ok 

The U.K. has a missive tourist industry, imagine charging different prices based on colour of skin 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Aye ok 

The U.K. has a missive tourist industry, imagine charging different prices based on colour of skin 

I bet chinks in Jamaica don't get better deals than whites

Just now, ZicoKelly said:

I bet chinks in Jamaica don't get better deals than whites

I bet they don’t 😂

Blacks get in cheap 

Imagine whites paying £5, Blacks and tans £10 for a cruise on Windermere 

We are definitely one of the most fair and inclusive countries in the world for my money 

25 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Aye ok 

Said before in in India it’s 10x the price for whites at the tourist attractions. Imagine that here. Hang on Sanjeev your an extra fiver. And as for you woo man chu your a tenner.  And you can fuck off delroy you’re not coming in. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Exactly, we get ripped off everywhere, and our own country doesn't do shit like that, or not to extent others do.

I remember going to spain in the late 80's, always went in the Spanish bars, and went in one bar for about 4 days running when the price went down a few pesatas, an English bloke informed me the locals get charged a cheaper price for their beer, but because you have been coming in for a few days, it's now a bit cheaper. Imagine if a French geezer walks into the Ape n Apple in town and they charge him more because he is foreign, just doesn't happen. Although there maybe isolated incidents in other parts of the tourism industry, but that's not just foreign visitors, that's us all.

But you can’t be racist against whites. You know this. It’s acceptable behaviour at the end of the day. One way street. 

Reckon it's exploitation of tourists rather than racism against whites. Not that the latter doesn't exist in these places. 

Just evidence of an unofficial tourist tax. We might charge the same for everyone in Edinburgh and tourism does benefit the local economy, but a balance has been lost and lots of locals have been priced out of certain areas. 

Definitely a battle in some places abroad and can spoil a day out. But it often happens in countries where these things cost a pittance anyway. And in places where the majority of the population couldn't afford a tourist visa to visit the UK.

I'de say we're mostly a welcoming country. But I guess that question isn't for the locals.  

Most welcoming place I've ever been is Pakistan. To the point where I couldn't get a fcking minute to myself. But I'm sure there were other areas of the country where I would have got a very different welcome. 

Edited by London Wanderer

6 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Reckon it's exploitation of tourists rather than racism against whites. Not that the latter doesn't exist in these places. 

Just evidence of an unofficial tourist tax. We might charge the same for everyone in Edinburgh and tourism does benefit the local economy, but a balance has been lost and lots of locals have been priced out of certain areas. 

Definitely a battle in some places abroad and can spoil a day out. But it often happens in countries where these things cost a pittance anyway. And in places where the majority of the population couldn't afford a tourist visa to visit the UK.

I'de say we're mostly a welcoming country. But I guess that question isn't for the locals.  

Most welcoming place I've ever been is Pakistan. To the point where I couldn't get a fcking minute to myself. But I'm sure there were other areas of the country where I would have got a very different welcome. 

In India the signs (at government ran sites) state white skin x price brown skin y price. That’s racism. Dress it up how you want pal. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes.. doesn't mean they go around committing hate crimes... ethnic jokes are so uncouth.. but we laugh because they're based on truth, everyone is mindful of the facts...

Everyone is racist.. so relax..

Avenue Q.. gotta love it