Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Worst Home Game You Remember

Smiley

Guest Uncle_Northy
Our first match against Bury in 20 years in the mid 80s.

August Bank Holiday they were newly promoted from the 4th Division and outclassed us 4-1 at Burnden.

On that miserable summer evening it sunk in that we wouldnt be challenging for promotion.

if my memory is correct ...david lee johm mcginlay and mark patterson

all played blinders that day for bury

also add that fuckin game to my list

Think it was before their time northampton.

Winston White did the damage that night i think.

And in the return fixture Craig Madden scored a 90th minute winner for them.....the original game at Bury was called off at Christmas just before kick off which gave some Bolton fans the opportunity to raid a jewellers in Bury town centre if memory serves [-X

Easy to get the games with Bury mixed up though. They always seemed to beat us. 4-1 at home, 4-2 at home, 3-1 at home. Sure of it.

I remember the Madden last minute goal at theirs as well.

Thing is, whilst all of these were bad and depressing - put them into context - we were a shite team in a shite division, with shite players playing against similarly shite teams. And only a few of us bothered to turn up and witness this shite!

We are now an established top flight team and yesterday with WORLD footballing stars in our line-up (squad) earning ??0000s a week - we performed as bad, if not worse than some of those teams from the 80s.

I also remember the likes of Darlo and Northampton beating us 3-0 at Burnden, and Bristol City mullering us on a number of occasions.

• Site Supporter

Everton at home 1980ish. Snowed all match, feckin' freezing. Game should never have started but ref. said ok. Peter Ried broke his leg, game abandoned at half-time.

Had it been abandoned before 45 minutes we'd have all got a free ticket to the rearranged fixture. As it was we had to pay again. BWFC ripping their fans off even in the '80s!

• Moderators
Everton at home 1980ish. Snowed all match, feckin' freezing. Game should never have started but ref. said ok. Peter Ried broke his leg, game abandoned at half-time.

Had it been abandoned before 45 minutes we'd have all got a free ticket to the rearranged fixture. As it was we had to pay again. BWFC ripping their fans off even in the '80s!

we used to park over the other side of st petes then

having to negotiate the ramp down to the subway was an experience

we used to park over the other side of st petes then

having to negotiate the ramp down to the subway was an experience

78-79 wasnt it; George Wood it was who did Reid's leg - got shit every time he came back to Burnden.

Aldershot has to be the worst though

Guest Uncle_Northy

it was new years day ..fookin freezing it was

aye - funny, I can picture it really well even though its almost exactly 26 soddin years ago! Scarey as shit getting out of the Paddock as the ramp down to the turnstiles had frozen over with compacted snow and it was a 30k+ crowd, so your being shoved down it thinking "if someone goes over here there'll be deaths". But as usual they didnt and there wasnt.

Guest Holly_Goodhead

Oldham have given us some depressing home fixtures.

They won at Burnden in their bright orange shirts in the early 80s and then there was the FA Cup quarter final.

another New Years Day game always sticks in my mind - a 0-0 with Orient was bad.

Coventry 1-5 and black Sunday along with Aldershot.

Can I remember a game against Wigan being abandoned at half time cause of rain - pitch was flooded. I think I hung about to abuse Barry Chaytow (?) after that - they only started the game to get the gate money.

Got it - this is the one (and it'll sort out the old boys on the board)

28th august 1979. We've survived one season in the old first division and are looking to build on it...and its been an Ok start with a draw and win at home and a draw at Liverpool. The we get Southend in the League Cup. Surely a good win? Nope we get humiliated 2-1 in front of <8k fans (including about 30 Southend in a little huddle on the Embankment) and we realise its going to be a tough season. That was the night the rot set in that ended up with us down to the 4th???

Norwich at home

coca cola cup

120 mins of shite to then lose on penalties

this time of year to so was feckin freezin

Aye and the penalties taken by both sides were more like back passes to the goalkeeper. Did Norwich only win 1 - 0 on penalties. My worst game was Shrewsbury at home in the mid 80s. That is the worst I have ever seen a Bolton team play.

• Moderators

just had a look, and it seems i'll not be cold this winter

29/10/88..beat chesterfield 5-0 in the league

19/11/88..drew 0-0 in the cup

week and a half later, beat em 3-2 in a thriller, after, if memory serves, being 2 down

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.