Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Any House Music Fans On Ww?

If you're not up to anything on the 31st, me and a couple of mates will be putting on our first night at the Cotton Tree in Halliwell.

Upstairs in the main room is going to be decent, quality house music, not too vocally or cheesey and not too deep, progressive or boring!

Downstairs is going to be South American, Down tempo drum and bass and a bit more left field.

Should be a cracking night if we can get the numbers in which were hopeful of.

No cover charge adn the drinks are cheap!

The night's called 'Suck it and See' and is on from 9 till 2.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll put your name down. The whole philosophy is that the people who come through the door make or break a night like this, so please come down and give us your support if you can!

Cheers chaps - Kent.... :drinks:

• Site Supporter
Have you ever been in the Cotton Tree? fcuk me it's rough

It's a proper pub that 1 full of notrights, mongalongs and simpletons

Good fcuking luck

I have mentioned this before on here. Some time ago, maybe 15-16 years ago, I attended The CottonTree to extinguish a bonfire outside. It had been built in the wig-wam style using a convenient, and in use, telegraph pole as the centre pole!

Have you ever been in the Cotton Tree? fcuk me it's rough

It's a proper pub that 1 full of notrights, mongalongs and simpletons

Good fcuking luck

Yeah - it used to be bad but it's got a LOT better over the last year or so.

A fella called Donald has taken it over and he's made a huge effort with it. He has loads of community events on now and encourages live music and youth groups to use the stages he's got on offer there. Had a big chat with him last week and he was telling us how he spent the first 6 months barring all the twats. I had a good night there last Friday, no trouble at all, really nice atmosphere in fact.

But just to be on the safe side, we'll be having door staff! Jobs a gud un! :good:

• Site Supporter

come on Kent whats the style of your house music? Deep, Soulful, Funky, Electro, Tech House? It could swing the choice either way!! In the words of Eddie Armadour, not everyone understands house music its a spiritual thing a body thing a soul thing :good:

Whos your influences??

Edited by superjohnmcginlay

If you're not up to anything on the 31st, me and a couple of mates will be putting on our first night at the Cotton Tree in Halliwell.

Upstairs in the main room is going to be decent, quality house music, not too vocally or cheesey and not too deep, progressive or boring!

Downstairs is going to be South American, Down tempo drum and bass and a bit more left field.

Should be a cracking night if we can get the numbers in which were hopeful of.

No cover charge adn the drinks are cheap!

The night's called 'Suck it and See' and is on from 9 till 2.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll put your name down. The whole philosophy is that the people who come through the door make or break a night like this, so please come down and give us your support if you can!

Cheers chaps - Kent.... :drinks:

I really can't imagine what that might be like, so I'll spotify it tonight

come on Kent whats the style of your house music? Deep, Soulful, Funky, Electro, Tech House? It could swing the choice either way!! In the words of Eddie Armadour, not everyone understands house music its a spiritual thing a body thing a soul thing :good:

Whos your influences??

Alright chaps. Few afficianados on here then! That's what I like to see. Just emailed Ross who's the main DJ your questions and he came back with....

'Its hard to put your finger on who exactly are my influences are, but I'd would say favourites are obvious ones like Orbital, Underworld & Leftfield. Best album of all time is Leftism which i still listen to this day.

DJ wise I would say the american sound and DJs have been more of an influence on what I play, the likes of Todd Terry, Masters at Work and formerly Roger Sanchez and Eric Morillo (before they started playing crappy electro-house).

Favourite house producer is Dennis Ferrer without a shadow of a doubt, he has done so many different tracks in so many different styles of house and they are top every time. Don't why he doesn't get more publicity but maybe he likes it that way! And Carl Craig - genius!'

We're trying to put a mix online, but we messed up this week by putting track numbers on and it uploaded in segments which is useless. We're gonna have another go over the weekend. Here's the tracklist though....!

King Roc - The Beginning

Stevie Wonder - Superstition (Todd Terje edit)

Common - I am music (Todd Terje edit)

Willie Colon/Ruben Blades - Plastico (Bugz in the Attic remix)

Pete Rodriguez - I like it like that (Aaron Jerome mix)

Quantic - Happening

Beatfanatic - Wonderful star

Intrallazzi - Duet

Carl Craig - Futurelovetheme

Orbital - Halcyon (Tom Middleton remix)

Laurent Garnier - Man with the red face (Mark Knight/Funkagenda mix)

Dennis Ferrer - Sinfonia Della Notte

If anyone fancies a copy to get you in the mood, let me know and I'll post one out for you.

Tried to attach a copy of the flyer but it's toooooo big!

I love my soulful & funky house, but I'm with Traf on this, sorry. I'd quite like to come but The Cotton Tree's not for me. Is there nowhere in town will do it for a cheap price? Thing is I know a few who like a bit of funky love & would be more likely to come if was in town.

I love my soulful & funky house, but I'm with Traf on this, sorry. I'd quite like to come but The Cotton Tree's not for me. Is there nowhere in town will do it for a cheap price? Thing is I know a few who like a bit of funky love & would be more likely to come if was in town.

I agree. Eventually we will be looking for a different venue - but we have to make a name for ourselves first. I think you'd be surprised about what the Cotton Tree looks like nowadays, especially in the Function Room where the main DJ will be. It's a quality little venue and we'll be taking it over for the night so it'll be a scrote free zone (even if it is for one night only)! I don't particularly think that the venue is the major issue, so long as you get the right people in (and keep the right ones out). The best club night Bolton's ever had INHO was Funky Monkey when it used to be on at the West Indian Centre some time ago. Again, once a month, not a particularly posh place but the crowd used to make it. A bunch of mates all doing their own thing and having a riot.

To be honest - we're not really pitching it to be a commercial success, that's why we're not charging. It's just going to be a once a month house night, for people who love house music. All we can do is give it a go and see what happens. Hence the name. Put it this way. If you want a few drinks on a Saturday and want to listen to some decent tunes, you'll have a better time at our place doing something a bit different than listening to Shakira on Bradshawgate!

P.S. The pubs in town all want money or will only let you have the venue on a week night. I for one am planning to get ripped off my tits so that's out of the question. Anyway - if anyone fancies it, let me know. Would be great to have a few heads from WW down there. We might fall flat on our arses, but then again, it might be quality - we'll never know unless we try! :drinks:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.