Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Interview tips

bolton_blondie

Answer every question with an example of what you’ve done in the past in a similar situation 

Think what questions they might ask you eg “what would you do if….?” And answer with an example of what you’ve done in the past that fits the situation

Bit late now, as the interview is tomorrow, but if you’ve got time write examples down in a notebook. Don’t be afraid to ask if they mind you referring to your notes so that you can answer them as well as possible - shows you’ve prepared well

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Got my first interview in 7 years tomorrow. Fucking hate them. I know i can smash the job, but I just become a nervous wreck, especially when faced with a panel. You lot on 100k a year any tips? I've tried rubbing myself with a bloon.

answer questions with sentences and give examples of how you “ delivered beyond expectations “ or whatever they are asking 
Ask questions setting expectations of them. 
as if you are considering whether the place is good enough for you to work in 

Never give examples where we did this and we did that.

It’s all bout you, so I did this, I did that etc.

When you get to ask them any questions at the end a good one to ask is “Is there anything else you would like to know from me about what I have answered earlier.”

Good luck.

45 minutes ago, freds dad said:

Never give examples where we did this and we did that.

It’s all bout you, so I did this, I did that etc.

When you get to ask them any questions at the end a good one to ask is “Is there anything else you would like to know from me about what I have answered earlier.”

Good luck.

There is nothing wrong with saying I was part of a team that did…and then give pertinent examples. In my experience most positive work situations are achieved through a good team. It does depend on the job you are being interviewed for though to be fair.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

There is nothing wrong with saying I was part of a team that did…and then give pertinent examples. In my experience most positive work situations are achieved through a good team. It does depend on the job you are being interviewed for though to be fair.

Train driver

• Moderators

Answer questions with questions 

"Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" 

"Where would you see me in 5 years?" 

"What are your salary expectations?"

"What would you expect to pay me?"

"What is your main weakness?" 

"What do you think my main weakness is?" 

Etc

Turn the interview on them 

Then at the end leave saying you have other interviews to attend and you'll let them know in due course

on the way out tell the next person they can go in

Many years ago, I fancied a change of career. Applied for and got an interview for a sales rep for Bassetts, the Allsorts people. Asked a good friend of mine who was in sales, for interview techniques. He told me about a technique that I’ve since heard about people giving speech’s. Imagine the interviewer/audience naked. It supposedly empowers you. 
The interview was at the hotel on Beaumont Rd., in a room and, seriously, the interviewer was a young, good looking woman. 
It didn’t go well. Decided against the career Change.

Choose your advice carefully.

Before interview go through job description and think of an example of how you can show you can do each element and think of your examples. Note this down against the JD, think what are the 4-5 examples you most to get over and these highlighted so when asked a question you give replies that are 100% relevant to job. 
Most interviews use standard questions now to off set any bias so when you get asked 'give me an example of when you have worked as part of a team' ( or some variant of this) your reply is 'As part of the district nursing team we had to tackle  (add in whichever example shows you best light'

sounds pretty basic but plan through whatever the 4 or 5 things you most want the interviewer to know about and make sure you get them in there somehow. 

2 hours ago, Ani said:

Before interview go through job description and think of an example of how you can show you can do each element and think of your examples. Note this down against the JD, think what are the 4-5 examples you most to get over and these highlighted so when asked a question you give replies that are 100% relevant to job. 
Most interviews use standard questions now to off set any bias so when you get asked 'give me an example of when you have worked as part of a team' ( or some variant of this) your reply is 'As part of the district nursing team we had to tackle  (add in whichever example shows you best light'

sounds pretty basic but plan through whatever the 4 or 5 things you most want the interviewer to know about and make sure you get them in there somehow. 

Good advice👍