Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Leccy vehicle charging tips.

Whitestar

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

It’s a hybrid. It only does 40 miles in battery. Takes about 4 hours to charge, no matter if you use a 3 pin plug or a proper ev charger.  The car limits it for some reason. 

Originally thinking about future proofing but at £1200 we had second thoughts 

Did you not get your grant?

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

It’s a hybrid. It only does 40 miles in battery. Takes about 4 hours to charge, no matter if you use a 3 pin plug or a proper ev charger.  The car limits it for some reason. 

Originally thinking about future proofing but at £1200 we had second thoughts 

What's the point of a fast charger then? 

I was tempted by full EV and it probably would have been better but I do fuck all miles to justify it.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Did you not get your grant?

Nope. Only get grants if you live in a flat now! Bit random. 

House at the top of the road had to have their’s separated from their neighbour, dug up the road and the bin wagon couldn’t get down so no bugger had their bin emptied. 

Edited by mickbrown

1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

I was tempted by full EV and it probably would have been better but I do fuck all miles to justify it.

We thought we’d get the proper charger in case we got a full ev in the future. 

Was a daft idea really. Hopefully by the time we need one the grants might be available again. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, tomski said:

No chance.

Probably. 

Still, Mick's £1200 charger seems a bit dear. An all singing and dancing one presumably. 

Iirc, mine was in the £800 range, with the grant off that.

Couple of years ago, and prices will have risen, but seems quite expensive nevertheless.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Not sure what you're asking there. Domestic chargers aren't classed as fast.

A good period overnight to fill up, depending upon battery size.

If you're not doing many miles, then presumably you're doing few motorway miles and more round town?

If so, then an ev comes into its own even more. 

My van will give around 3.3miles per kwh. Most cars will give better as they're designed better for drag reduction etc.

At the moment that equates to a bit under 11p per mile. Was a bit over 5p before energy costs went up.

Obviously those savings have to be weighed up over higher purchase costs, but chuck in no tax and much lower maintenance costs too.

54 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Probably. 

Still, Mick's £1200 charger seems a bit dear. An all singing and dancing one presumably. 

Couple of years ago, and prices will have risen, but seems quite expensive nevertheless.

Mine was around £700 and I got a grant off that so ended up paying around £350 but it was around 3 years ago.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Probably. 

Mine was £1200 before grant deduction. Might of been due to the amount of cable needed

14 hours ago, mickbrown said:

We thought we’d get the proper charger in case we got a full ev in the future. 

Was a daft idea really. Hopefully by the time we need one the grants might be available again. 

Sadly, that'll never happen

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Obviously those savings have to be weighed up over higher purchase costs, but chuck in no tax and much lower maintenance costs too.

Also remember, the car insurance is quite a bit more as well, certainly on a full electric vehicle 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Also remember, the car insurance is quite a bit more as well, certainly on a full electric vehicle 

It is.

Some strangers things seem to be happening over insurance- not just for evs- with huge cost increases. Just seeing a figure of a 48% increase being reported. Seems utterly bonkers.

With my van, I struggled to even get someone to insure it in the first year, as it wasn't showing up on the databases of some.

It came down from around 1k to around 700 for each of the subsequent years.

Some of these other prices that are being talked about are ridiculous. It may be on some of the performance models, I don't know; but there is a general higher power associated with many evs, so if that is playing a part, then maybe they'll need to pare back the power of the motors a bit.

I do also wonder if a degree of profiteering is going on.

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Think there was 7m of tethered cable. Think it was cheaper without the tethered cable. 

Different bit of cable Mick. Tomski has a great distance between the meter and the actual charger. This is different to the "tethered" or otherwise bit between the unit and vehicle.

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Different bit of cable Mick. Tomski has a great distance between the meter and the actual charger. This is different to the "tethered" or otherwise bit between the unit and vehicle.

Ah.

Aye, mine was less than a metre to the meter

2 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Think there was 7m of tethered cable. Think it was cheaper without the tethered cable. 

I've got a couple of 20m long cables in my garage at the minute (obviously for those who prefer untethered) :)  - they weigh a fucking ton

I really should get them on eBay

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Some strangers things seem to be happening over insurance- not just for evs- with huge cost increases. Just seeing a figure of a 48% increase being reported. Seems utterly bonkers.

Indeed, mine has gone up from £700 to £850, and that's with an extra year no claims, and my last 3 points having dropped off. Initial renewal from Aviva was £980. All my colleagues, over the last 2 or 3 months are also reporting huge price hikes in their insurance

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Some of these other prices that are being talked about are ridiculous. It may be on some of the performance models, I don't know; but there is a general higher power associated with many evs, so if that is playing a part, then maybe they'll need to pare back the power of the motors a bit.

I do also wonder if a degree of profiteering is going on.

Probably is some profiteering, and some of them are bloody powerful......

Might be bollocks, but  I've been led to believe, that the main issue is that the cost of repair to an EV can be huge, they're technologically complex, even a minor incident can end up with huge claims, especially if the integrity of the battery is compromised. There's also a shortage of places that can actually repair them, and the supply chains for parts are still probably not as robust as they are for "traditional" cars

All that, over time, should change though

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Indeed, mine has gone up from £700 to £850, and that's with an extra year no claims, and my last 3 points having dropped off. Initial renewal from Aviva was £980. All my colleagues, over the last 2 or 3 months are also reporting huge price hikes in their insurance

It's wank. Looking at the hassle my lad had just to get any quotes- it's no wonder so many drive without insurance.

4 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Yeah same here. I did teathered as I thought how miserable it would be getting my car cable out as it rains 300 days a year. Well worth it if you ever do.