Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge United (A)

radcliffe white

17 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

No the real hardcore; even Radcliffe is missing this big game. 

I’m not including Southerners showing up for an odd away game up the road from London. 

I’m talking about people travelling 200 miles from the North West. 

Fair play to you this season though, you’ve made a real effort 👍🏻

Edited by captainmed

• The topic was pinned
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not particularly relevant for this thread but as good a place as any, I've just noticed 8 out of next 12 are away.  It will be some going if we're still on 2 points a game when we get to 10th March

If we play to our strengths home or away is irrelevant. When we’re on blob we can beat anyone in this league and hopefully our mini blip will soon be over and we can crack on again and I’m also sure all of those teams will be nervous about playing us despite being at home.

6 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

If we play to our strengths home or away is irrelevant. When we’re on blob we can beat anyone in this league and hopefully our mini blip will soon be over and we can crack on again and I’m also sure all of those teams will be nervous about playing us despite being at home.

Mini blip?

Do you mean losing ONE league game? 

We’ve won 5 league games out of the last 6.

Edited by captainmed

4 hours ago, captainmed said:

Mini blip?

Do you mean losing ONE league game? 

We’ve won 5 league games out of the last 6.

Poor and lost at Orient, equally poor and very lucky to win on Tuesday. That’s mini to me you see it how you want.

I think anyone that thinks we aren't in a bit of a blip performance wise is being generous.  Having a blip is allowed, its not a criticism, it just happens, with injuries/form/fixture backlog etc.  City, Arsenal, Spurs, Pompey, Derby have them, its no big deal in isolation. 

But referring to it as a blip seems reasonable.  Yes we've beaten Burton, Lincoln, Cheltenham, Fleetwood and Orient recently but its hard to look at performances in December and January and say we don't need to improve.  Which I'm sure we will with a little help from the transfer window hopefully.

Anyway when @desperado admits to having some concerns we know its time for the rest of us to worry 😃

I'll get really concerned if @Whitesince63 predicts anything but a comfortable win 😃

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think anyone that thinks we aren't in a bit of a blip performance wise is being generous.  Having a blip is allowed, its not a criticism, it just happens, with injuries/form/fixture backlog etc.  City, Arsenal, Spurs, Pompey, Derby have them, its no big deal in isolation. 

But referring to it as a blip seems reasonable.  Yes we've beaten Burton, Lincoln, Cheltenham, Fleetwood and Orient recently but its hard to look at performances in December and January and say we don't need to improve.  Which I'm sure we will with a little help from the transfer window hopefully.

Anyway when @desperado admits to having some concerns we know its time for the rest of us to worry 😃

I'll get really concerned if @Whitesince63 predicts anything but a comfortable win 😃

Still far more positives 😃

If we are in a blip then what a blip it’s been. Underperforming and winning is one of the key ingredients to promotion. A proper blip is when you stop picking up points - last 2 years they’ve gone on for months where poor performances mean no points.

My concerns are squad depletions and too many games - but with a few more additions as IE alludes to, there's every reason to believe we can keep winning games/picking up points.

44 minutes ago, desperado said:

Still far more positives 😃

If we are in a blip then what a blip it’s been. Underperforming and winning is one of the key ingredients to promotion. A proper blip is when you stop picking up points - last 2 years they’ve gone on for months where poor performances mean no points.

My concerns are squad depletions and too many games - but with a few more additions as IE alludes to, there's every reason to believe we can keep winning games/picking up points.

Yes, we'll all take the 1-0 scrappy wins any day of the week.  But the underperforming has arguably been going on last 2 months, and that includes 3 defeats.  There's no shame in that and its still a good points return if we're talking top 6, but its an unforgiving league when you're aiming for top 2.  The form table last 10 games starting with 7-0 v Exeter, has us 6th, 5 points less than Barnsley and Peterboro.  Either we need to up our game or they need to have their blip soon, which could well happen.  In Barnsley's case our 2 league games against them aren't a million miles from being "play offs" in themselves as if either team gets 6 points its a massive stride towards promotion.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the Cambridge thread, I'll leave it there - onwards and upwards.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Lucky in the last one though

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Think he means in terms of the performance, but yes stats say wins 

So all the talk where:

-Any win will do.

-Winning despite being second best

-Winning ugly is a sign of a good team

-Being entertained is fine but three points is the most important part of a game

Aren’t anything but throw-away sound bites, rhetoric, bullshit?

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes, we'll all take the 1-0 scrappy wins any day of the week.  But the underperforming has arguably been going on last 2 months, and that includes 3 defeats.  There's no shame in that and its still a good points return if we're talking top 6, but its an unforgiving league when you're aiming for top 2.  The form table last 10 games starting with 7-0 v Exeter, has us 6th, 5 points less than Barnsley and Peterboro.  Either we need to up our game or they need to have their blip soon, which could well happen.  In Barnsley's case our 2 league games against them aren't a million miles from being "play offs" in themselves as if either team gets 6 points its a massive stride towards promotion.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the Cambridge thread, I'll leave it there - onwards and upwards.

IMG_1002.thumb.jpeg.f4cf807fde355bd34c03b6366fb87bf3.jpeg

All depends which form table you’re looking at 😉

Edited by desperado

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

dunno if you would agree but i find your posts just as negative as he is positive?

i wonder how some folk get through the week