Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton are massive ....

gonzo

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

If Brum had any ambition, they wouldn't have sold the Bellingham brothers so young. Jude's only 20 and Jobe's just 18 now but has 6 Championship goals so far this season - including a double against Rotherham. 

Jobe maybe as they sold him to another championship club, no idea on the fee though 

but I think the issue they had with Jude was his ambition 

£25m and Borrusia Dortmund 

And look at how he's developed since 

I'm not sure there's any conceivable scenario where Brum have a case for keeping him 

19 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Swap Palace and Nowrich for wolves and brum or west Brom 

You’d have to include Wolves, West Brom, Ipswich and Sheffield United in that at least and all probably above ourselves. Given their potential I’d also have to have Brum above us as well. These days it’s all about gate size I’m afraid and not history.

• Site Supporter

My tab packet geography always tells me Birmingham, Villa, Wolves, Coventry and even Walsall are near enough the same place.

I know they aren’t but so many big clubs in a fairly small area takes some supporting.

I would put us in second place after Villa (at the moment) levelish with Birmingham.

Massive untapped potential at Birmingham.  Capable of huge backing but for my 50+ years of following football they've always been 'meh'. Perennial division 1 or 2 strugglers.

Bigger than us though.

Just now, Duck Egg said:

Massive untapped potential at Birmingham.  Capable of huge backing but for my 50+ years of following football they've always been 'meh'. Perennial division 1 or 2 strugglers.

Bigger than us though.

Yes huge potential. I worked in Aston (villa territory) for a number of years and the untapped support is huge and if they did eventually get it right they’d be at least as big as Villa crowd wise but without the history of course. Yet again it depends on what you consider makes a “Big” club?

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Brum another with no fa cup 

Aye 

Two league cups to our 4 fa cups 

Top finish in PL was 9th, we finished above that 4 times 

Folk can say they are bigger but I'm going to have to see a convincing argument as to why, good luck with that 

All I'm seeing is "they could be, if things were different, but as things are, they aren't"

27 minutes ago, Zico said:

Aye 

Two league cups to our 4 fa cups 

Top finish in PL was 9th, we finished above that 4 times 

Folk can say they are bigger but I'm going to have to see a convincing argument as to why, good luck with that 

All I'm seeing is "they could be, if things were different, but as things are, they aren't"

I'll have a bash then;

Won a major trophy far more recently than us. Took more fans to Wembley for the then Autowindscreens trophy, than we've taken anywhere in over 50 years.

Never been in the 4th division and only a handful of years in the 3rd.

You convinced? 😊 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I'll have a bash then;

Won a major trophy far more recently than us. Took more fans to Wembley for the then Autowindscreens trophy, than we've taken anywhere in over 50 years.

You convinced? 😊 

so they had a big day out in 1995

they took 50k to Wembley

we took 55k to Wembley in 1995

next

2 hours ago, Zico said:

I think we edge it via trophies, Europe and more years in the top flight 

What have they got over us?

If its fan potential it's because they are from a city of over 1m 

Even in the PL their followings didn't compare to Villa

This

• Moderators
Just now, Duck Egg said:

Over 2 games we did! 😆 

yep

i think brum's big following was down in part to the fact carlisle didn't take a big following

we couldn't take anymore to the final v liverpool

it's an unconvincing arguement you put forward

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

I'll have a bash then;

You convinced? 😊 

6 minutes ago, gonzo said:

We have deffo done more in past 40 years. Have they ever had a good spell like us in 50s?

just to go off Duck's other points:

re: trophy, yeah, fair enough, they won on recently - if i'm being twatty it was a 90th minute howler that gifted them the trophy, whilst we were on the wrong end of some decisions in our final - but yes, 1 trophy recently

we've still won more trophies

as for the 4th division and 3rd division, so what

we're 19th in the overall PL table, they are 33rd

in the all time top flight table we are (according to the site i just looked at) 15th to their 22nd

they got in europe off the back of their cup win, we got in off the back of our league position which is far more an achievement and we did it twice

we edge it on every comparison other than the populataion of where we come from

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Bigger than us though.

I watch Davis Diary on YT.

Film every blues away day.

What a craic them lads have.

BTW, I think we’re fairly similar taking out the name Birmingham as the second city, which distorts their support for the bigger games. 

Edited by captainmed

2 hours ago, L/H White said:

they wouldn't make my cut 

neither norwich or palace have an fa cup, norwich not even a final 

We'd need to know whether we're talking about bigger clubs or more successful clubs.

The fact that Wigan have more FA Cups than Newcastle, Norwich, Palace put together in the last 60 odd years tells me we aren't interested in who's won what.

And if the ref had disallowed Lofthouse's goal in 58 like he would have done now and we hadn't won, would that make us a bit smaller?  Not for me.

As for Birmingham, yes consistently bigger than us in my lifetime.

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Bigger. Overall feel. Not just success.

Wigan have won more than Everton in past 25 years....

that's the question, how far do you go back?

time moves on, a big club 25 years ago maybe shouldn't be one now, depending on circumstances 

• Members
Just now, Zico said:

in what respect though?

Quite simple I suppose. Pulling power. They must have a much bigger base and we have giants all around us eating into our potential.

They have Villa and after that it tails off dramatically. Who would travel to Albion, Wolves or Walsall?

Like others have said. I don't mind Birmingham City (as long as they keep their gobs shut).

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We'd need to know whether we're talking about bigger clubs or more successful clubs.

The fact that Wigan have more FA Cups than Newcastle, Norwich, Palace put together in the last 60 odd years tells me we aren't interested in who's won what.

And if the ref had disallowed Lofthouse's goal in 58 like he would have done now and we hadn't won, would that make us a bit smaller?  Not for me.

As for Birmingham, yes consistently bigger than us in my lifetime.

We did score a second, you know.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Quite simple I suppose. Pulling power. They must have a much bigger base and we have giants all around us eating into our potential.

They have Villa and after that it tails off dramatically. Who would travel to Albion, Wolves or Walsall?

Like others have said. I don't mind Birmingham City (as long as they keep their gobs shut).

that's potential though, not actual reality

they might be considered a sleeping giant

but they are asleep

they've not actually done anything on or off the pitch that could be considered bigger and better than us

according to a quick google, their capacity is only 686 more than us

so they can have all the pulling power they like, they aren't getting bigger crowds than us

I don't mind them either

but I'm still not seeing any actual evidence as to why they would be considered bigger than us

all we've had so far is a big day out at wembley 30 years and biggish dave once being in a 21 seater cab with some of their fans