Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

British Transport Police Urge Clubs To Act On Fans

Interesting story on the BBC site, where BTP are urging football clubs to pay towards police costs, ban fans or withdraw season tickets if supporters got into trouble on public transport:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7173573.stm

How long will it be until only those supporters travelling on official club transport will be able to buy tickets for away games?

Saw that on sky sports news yesterday.

The day everyone has to travel on mufty club to get an away ticket will be the day

most fans find something else to do.

The only good thing about away games at the moment is drinking as much as you can on the trains.

Problem is that with all the kick off changes, to get cheap trains to London etc is getting very difficult.

Have got a direct train to Reading for ?26 quid though.

I am sure myself and Jules will be able to drink a can or 6 on the journey !!

Interesting story on the BBC site, where BTP are urging football clubs to pay towards police costs, ban fans or withdraw season tickets if supporters got into trouble on public transport:

How long will it be until only those supporters travelling on official club transport will be able to buy tickets for away games?

That's the day I'll f?ck off football forever.

That will be the final nail in the coffin, so to speak.

No away fans in grounds now that will be great I'm sure because hardly anyone will go. Even our support has gone down the pan over recent years and this would see it dissapear.

It has become a police state without a doubt and I can see the law wanting to control everyone in and out of grounds/the town. What I can't understand is that the police need football to bump up their coffers as crowd control on match days costs clubs an arm and a leg. Or is it the clubs who don't want to pay the bills so they aren't fussed about having the away supporters in the grounds?

What the transport & general police see as causing trouble and what normal society do, do not appear to tally on match day though. I already take issue with being treated like a second class citizen & having some 'severe tellings off' for having the audacity to want to travel to an away match and the route I wish to take.

I think it's about time we made like the unwashed do gooders & got involved in fighting the infringements of a football fans' rights!

This has been the case for Newcastle - Sunderland games in the last few years.

More people have been killed and injured on trains due to them, and the infrastructure, being unsafe, than there have due to folk acting like notrights on their way to football.

double fact with lashings of hollandaise sause

Quite a few fixtures have already had away fans travelling by official means only rules over the years - think Cardiff City get hit most by it.

How the hell does it work for say an away season ticket holder, who lives miles off from the home ground of the team they support though? Are they supposed to travel 100 miles in one direction to get on a coach to take them back 200 miles back in the opposite direction?

Another way of raising money no doubt, and guarantee that what will be classed as 'hi jinx' from rugby fans on a train, will be classed as 'rowdyism' if it's a football crowd.

Was also under the impression that the rail police are able to ban individual people travelling full stop if they're that worried?

Quite a few fixtures have already had away fans travelling by official means only rules over the years - think Cardiff City get hit most by it.

How the hell does it work for say an away season ticket holder, who lives miles off from the home ground of the team they support though? Are they supposed to travel 100 miles in one direction to get on a coach to take them back 200 miles back in the opposite direction?

Another way of raising money no doubt, and guarantee that what will be classed as 'hi jinx' from rugby fans on a train, will be classed as 'rowdyism' if it's a football crowd.

Was also under the impression that the rail police are able to ban individual people travelling full stop if they're that worried?

It's quite easy. You just go along for the trip and don't ruin your day out by having to go to a football match :good:

It also has the advantage of not giving money to rip-off merchants like Chelsea.

• Moderators

something like this happened to Leeds fans a season or too back

they played Hull away and there are a lot of Leeds fans based in Hull

to get to the game, they had to go to Leeds, get an official coach and travel back to Hull, all for a 12 o'clock kick off

something like that, my bro lives in Hull and knew some fans that had to do this

Is it me or are folk higher up the foodchain than me and Ashey worried about the drop in mindless thuggery over the years and how it affects both their income and importance?

On a matchday in 10 years time they will be as useful, and as significant, as Belgium.

smiffs

no shit on my shoes

youthful exuberance...

Is it me or are folk higher up the foodchain than me and Ashey worried about the drop in mindless thuggery over the years and how it affects both their income and importance?

Correct. They're not getting the pay rise they expected from the public purse so they're obviously sniffing around for other ways to generate income.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.