Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Get Back To Work You Lazy F?ckers

Absolutely right Frank.

I voted against the strike. in the 14 years I've worked for the council, we've always got pay rises between 2.5% and 3.5%. We get less when the ecomony is shagged and more when its doing Ok. 2.5% seemed reasonable to me considering the situation.

The reason the strike is taking place is that the majority of Unison members dont bother to vote in ballots so its left to the hardliners to vote and they vote for a strike. 'turn out' for this vote was less than 20%.

My misses is on strike but she is not happy about it at all,she voted against it,as Sue said earlier,its probably not worth it as my misses will

lose ?180 for two days off work.

Edited by M G WHITES

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it should be made law that any employee private or public gets a mandatory cost of living pay rise every year.

Then anything more should be performance related to sort the wheat from the chaff.

It seems fundementally wrong that you can do your job satisfactorily, meeting objectives etc etc but lose money year on year???

PS Before you self employed tax dodgers complain you can put your prices up accordingly too!

Edited by JimmyRiddle

I think it should be made law that any employee private or public gets a mandatory cost of living pay rise every year.

I don't see how that would work, whatif a company is losing market share for reasons beyond it's control, the employees are working hard, the managers are working hard, but the buisness isn't going too well for whatever reason. Inflation in that year hits say 4%, then by your rational, everybody would have to get at least a 4% wage rise.........this could be enough to send a company over the edge, and then peole wouldn't have any wage to complain about. I know it's an extreme example, but could well happen to some smaller firms this year, who are already starting to look a bit shaky

if they want to keep their job, then yes

so those that do the actual work spend their entire life jumping from career to career?

i know when Mott McDonald offered me a job, on top of the cost of living increase they geta raise based upon the companies profits.

which doesn't really work in the public sector

• Site Supporter

I think it is all about the lazy employers (Government ultimately)

They go to the unions to ask what rise they want. Unions tell them 5%, Govt. say f?ck off, union says we'll go on strike, Govt says you ain't got the balls, union says we'll see and bring their members out. It seems to happen like this in all the public sector.

Take a look at the tanker drivers. They ask for 14% from the private sector and get it!

PS Before you self employed tax dodgers complain you can put your prices up accordingly too!

In PAYE, corporation tax, and NI (employers and employee) this tax dodger paid and his business partner ?115k into the pot last year.

Thats next to 60 grand each, a grand a week.

Some dodging is that.

• Moderators
So the lowest paid staff take the hit for the shareholders because the company is run poorly?

outside pressures causing a company to struggle isn't the same as the company being run badly

owt from oil, be it fuel/plastic has risen in price massively

power is probably about 4x what it was 3 years ago to industry

so abusiness making plastic stuff in an energy intensive environment is fcuked....

put the prices up

oh aye, great idea

just lets hope the chinese don't catch on, eh?

best thing would probably just be to shut the joint down and take it out east or make a few redundant, and whip the remainder harder to cover the cost of the rises

frankly, annual rises regardless of the ability to pay is just complete and utter lefty bollocks

So the lowest paid staff take the hit for the shareholders because the company is run poorly?

If a company is making billions then aye, it can afford 4 or 5% pay rises.

If its on the egde becuase of outside issues (nowt to do with bad management - which granted there is in places) then it can't give pay rises nomatter what.

Its business not charity.

In PAYE, corporation tax, and NI (employers and employee) this tax dodger paid and his business partner ?115k into the pot last year.

Thats next to 60 grand each, a grand a week.

Some dodging is that.

So why you got a bee in your bonnet about low paid workers asking for a cost of living pay rise to pay the bills?

Get back to your mill to check those children are working hard enough!

If a company is making billions then aye, it can afford 4 or 5% pay rises.

If its on the egde becuase of outside issues (nowt to do with bad management - which granted there is in places) then it can't give pay rises nomatter what.

Its business not charity.

Do companies get cheaper stationary supplies or cheaper rent becuase they are struggling? Of course they don't as it is an overhead that has to be costed into whether the business is viable.

So why should staff wages be any differant, they should be kept level with inflation nothing more nothing less apart from the over achievers who quite rightly should receive extra incentives and rewards.

Do companies get cheaper stationary supplies or cheaper rent becuase they are struggling? Of course they don't as it is an overhead that has to be costed into whether the business is viable.

So why should staff wages be any differant, they should be kept level with inflation nothing more nothing less apart from the over achievers who quite rightly should receive extra incentives and rewards.

Stationary bill was about ?500, the rent about ?11000.

Wage bill was ?800k. You work out the proportion.

In the last year, materials have gone up anything between 10 and 30%, steel 70%. Our rates are pretty much the same as they were 3 years ago because there are many others who will currently do it for cost. If anything our margins are down.

So, a 3% pay rise is ?24000, or a salary.

So aye, we could give rises, and lay someone off I suppose. I'll put it to the lads, see what they think.

Or we all tighten our belts and just f?ckin well get on with it.

BTW, not one of our staff is on minimum wage, lowest earner is on ?90 a shift, or a tenner an hour, plus 29 days paid leave.

Anyway, carry on with your leftist drivvel.

Tool of the Year Prize. I haven't got time to explain this to such an intellectual titan, but buy a standard undergraduate macroeconomic textbook and look up rational expectations and inflation. You just prescribed a model for guaranteeing inflation grows permanently and tends towards infinity.

• Moderators
Tool of the Year Prize. I haven't got time to explain this to such an intellectual titan, but buy a standard undergraduate macroeconomic textbook and look up rational expectations and inflation. You just prescribed a model for guaranteeing inflation grows permanently and tends towards infinity.

I'd love to know what company he's currently running.

Utter sh$te, inflation is rapidly rising not through inflated wages but due to the mismangement of financial institutions, and the high oil price.

For the past 10 years above inflation pay rises were the norm but the fiscal catastrophe you predict did not happen because of it?

So now prices are going up why should workers not expect wages to keep pace. I would agree with you if this extra was going to be thrown at the high street on non-essential items. But its not it is going to pay the bills, fuel and food!!!

You will not convince me that a employee should have his salary eroded over time, that it the situation I agree, but it doesn't make it right.

certainly not in local government it wasn't

No, your lot just went on what the rest of us would call a 3 day week with more holidays/sick days/flexidays/adoption days/next door neighbours dead cat days, than a teacher. ;)

• Moderators
For the past 10 years above inflation pay rises were the norm but the fiscal catastrophe you predict did not happen because of it?

I stopped reading at this point, we've had one pay rise in 7 years.

No, your lot just went on what the rest of us would call a 3 day week with more holidays/sick days/flexidays/adoption days/next door neighbours dead cat days, than a teacher. ;)

i've stated on here more than once about my view on those that take the piss with the sick leave etc.

a 37 hr week is a fairly standard 9 til 5:20 with an hours dinner. which is what most office based staff get, there's people in my office who work 7-6 every day so not everyone takes the piss.

I know blokes like you work their knackers off doing way more than that, butyou're the exception rather than the norm

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.