Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Why Do We Hate Man Utd?

mixup

Did the Bolton dislike of Man U and all that the club represents start in 1939 when the Bolton Evening News ran the headline 'Wanderers soldiers play United munition workers' ?

In the early 1950's the story of the Wanderers war efforts and the tragic loss of the heroic Harry Gosling were always the talking point at grandad's dinner table before we played our Mancunian neighbours. Most visiting teams were well-respected but even before my first visit to Burnden Park, when I was only six or seven years old, I knew that Man U fell into a different category. Does anyone know if there was an even longer history behind the BEN headline?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the Bolton dislike of Man U and all that the club represents start in 1939 when the Bolton Evening News ran the headline 'Wanderers soldiers play United munition workers' ?

In the early 1950's the story of the Wanderers war efforts and the tragic loss of the heroic Harry Gosling were always the talking point at grandad's dinner table before we played our Mancunian neighbours. Most visiting teams were well-respected but even before my first visit to Burnden Park, when I was only six or seven years old, I knew that Man U fell into a different category. Does anyone know if there was an even longer history behind the BEN headline?

i thought it was all down to the cup final and when the open top bus came through salford and the scum fans bricked the bus didn't no about that headline i suppose you learn something new everyday !! :roll:

The story of the Wanderers contribution to the war effort is set out in a book 'Wartime Wanderers' written by Tim Purcell and Mike Gething and published in 1996.

You can only imagine the pride Boltonians had in their club when the whole team volunteered to serve their country prior to the outbreak of war in 1939 and the contrast with other clubs. The BEN headline seems intended to be a major slight on Man Utd, their opponents in the first war-time match at Burnden Park.

The Bolton captain, Harry Goslin, (sorry for the misspelling in my previous post) had led his team to volunteer in a stirring speech to the crowd at Burnden Park on Easter Saturday in 1939. Sadly he was killed in action in Italy in December 1943 after a distinguished war career.

i thought it was all down to the cup final and when the open top bus came through salford and the scum fans bricked the bus didn't no about that headline i suppose you learn something new everyday !! :roll:

I always thought this was the reason too, im sure theres a bit of jealousy in there as well especially over the last 20 years!

I was told by an elderly gentleman who is sadly dead now. That the hatred existed in the 20's. They would meet them off the train at trinity street and have a punch up with their fans before going to the match.

It sounds like tradition to me! :drinks:

Every Bolton Fan especially the younger ones should own or at least read Wartime Wanderers.....get the hardback as the paperback has no photo's, great day at Burnden when it was launched, the last member of the lads Jack Hurst was there to sign your copy.....PRICELESS !!!!!

I have read the book and it is a good read especially if you are interested in the war and BWFC, It seems a long time ago but as a young Bolton fan I remember Stan Hanson's shop or was it a post office over the road from Burnden, I wonder if there any photos of that shop?

• Members
I have read the book and it is a good read especially if you are interested in the war and BWFC, It seems a long time ago but as a young Bolton fan I remember Stan Hanson's shop or was it a post office over the road from Burnden, I wonder if there any photos of that shop?

Aye - Post Office just along from t'King Bill. Took it over once he retired from football I think?

I was always more fascinated by players moonlighting. Johnny Byrom working as a hod carrier (and dropping bricks on his foot ::lol:: ) and a Warbys van driver always intrigued me. I know they didn't earn a fortune but JB God must have had a low boredom threshold. What a player though. Legend.

• Moderators

near the post office

the pie shop

by the time i was going in i think it had passed down to a daughter but wasn't that an ex players too?

(not the scruffy 3 fora quid one, the proper 'bread shop')

near the post office

the pie shop

by the time i was going in i think it had passed down to a daughter but wasn't that an ex players too?

(not the scruffy 3 fora quid one, the proper 'bread shop')

The 3 for a quid one is now 3 for ???2-30 or 80p each, but there better than any pie in town :good:

Oh, and my brothers brought me up to hate Man Utd, its law in our Gaff !

Edited by Breightmet Boy

Bolty is right Stan Hanson had the post office, and talking of players moonlighting...Stuart Lee once told me about when Jimmy Armfield was manager and was always telling Jimmy Redfern and Chris Duffy to shape up or ship out as they always seemed to be tired, both these scouse players came on the train every morning and reports came to Mr Armfield's attention that they were always asleep on the train and offten missed getting off at Trinity St.....turns out that both the young lads had a night time job.....shooting rats in the docks warehouses

• Members
Bolty is right Stan Hanson had the post office, and talking of players moonlighting...Stuart Lee once told me about when Jimmy Armfield was manager and was always telling Jimmy Redfern and Chris Duffy to shape up or ship out as they always seemed to be tired, both these scouse players came on the train every morning and reports came to Mr Armfield's attention that they were always asleep on the train and offten missed getting off at Trinity St.....turns out that both the young lads had a night time job.....shooting rats in the docks warehouses

I was sure you'd come back with a little ditty about the great JB, S. The rhyming 'hod' and 'god' should have been too much to resist ;)

I was going to say summat smart about smackrats and shooting up in old Liverpool Dock warehouses but thought better of it.

This is a good article about John Byrom, for me I did not see him at his best as I did not start watching Bolton until 1974-75 but heard some great tales about him, in particular a goal he scored in the cup aty Southampton, apparently beat nearly every player on the pitch before notching a last minute equaliser, was any body at that game as I would like to hear there view regarding that goal.

http://archive.theboltonnews.co.uk/2004/6/16/485042.html

• Members

Belter that Mounts. One of the first away games I remember Sir Roger playing in was Preston away. Thousands of Bolton turned up - bouncy end; Spion Kop, everwhere. Banners reading 'Sir Roger Hunt"etc. A rout on the pitch and off it. I thought we won 4-1 but it could have been 3-0. Fantastic day anyway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.