Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New York

YATESY

Must be getting soft!

Off to New York in July without the monsters for 3 nights with the Mrs.

Too many hotels to choose from, so where better to go for recommendations then on WW! So, come on then lads and lasses - where have you stayed in The Big Apple and was it any good?

• Site Supporter

Must be getting soft!

Off to New York in July without the monsters for 3 nights with the Mrs.

Too many hotels to choose from, so where better to go for recommendations then on WW! So, come on then lads and lasses - where have you stayed in The Big Apple and was it any good?

The New York Palace.

Don't ask me how much as I wasn't paying but it's the dogs. Near the Chysler building and shops and restaurants and shit.

Stayed for a week in the Novotel, just off Times Square. It has a big roof terrace where you can have a drink overlooking Times Square.

The Wellington is also a good hotel and reasonably price.... bit nearer to Central Park. It's where Borat stayed in his film.

I may look at that for our silver wedding in October.

Ta

It is not dead in the centre of everything so you have a walk to Times Square, but worth it just to be near Grand Central, we spent half an hour jsut going through films that were made there.

For anyone is doign new york for the first time the opne top bus tours are a brilliant way to get round everything, you can get on and off as it goes round.

Went to NY 6 years ago with junior fbat and her mum and stayed at Pennsylvania hotel right bang opposite Madison Square gardens.25 dollars taxi to airport.Macy's and time square 10 min walk.

Went on helicopter ride around Manhattan which I thoroughly recommend. :thumbsup:

• Moderators

am going miself in May/June

mate is sorting the hotels, he just send me this:

Based on 2 rooms with 2 persons per room for 5 nights

Salisbury Hotel

http://www.nycsalisbury.com/default.aspx?pg=location&rp=home

Total: ?967.40

PPPN: ?48.37

Total Per Person: ?241.85

Price is including 40% off offer at Hotels.com.

Great location on 57th Street - right by Central Park.

2 subway stations near by

For the money I reckon it looks good.

TripAdvisor gives it generally good reviews considering the cost.

Ranked in top 50 in NYC.

The room option is two double beds.

am going miself in May/June

mate is sorting the hotels, he just send me this:

Based on 2 rooms with 2 persons per room for 5 nights

Salisbury Hotel

http://www.nycsalisbury.com/default.aspx?pg=location&rp=home

Total: ?967.40

PPPN: ?48.37

Total Per Person: ?241.85

Price is including 40% off offer at Hotels.com.

Great location on 57th Street - right by Central Park.

2 subway stations near by

For the money I reckon it looks good.

TripAdvisor gives it generally good reviews considering the cost.

Ranked in top 50 in NYC.

The room option is two double beds.

I stayed at the Salisbury when we went to New York. It is a good hotel and fairly central for everywhere. However be advised that it is run by the Methodist church next door and consequently does not have a bar. Also there are only two lifts and if you are on one of the upper floors you can have a long wait for one. Some mornings we found it quicker to walk down the stairs than wait for the lift.

We stayed at the Washington Jefferson, West fifty summat, just off broadway. wasnt the ritz but suited us champion! Rooms small but very nicely finished, spotless, all mod cons, decent rates and a cracking little bar at the end of the street. Could walk to all midtown sites from there too. Beltin!

Have stayed in New York twice.

First time we stayed at the New Yorker Hotel jcn. of West 34th st. and 8th ave. Opposite Madison Square Garden, near Empire State (1 block) and the Central Post Office. Walking distance to Times Square (10-15 mins. Not cheap but worth it for the view if you stay above the 20th floor.

Second time we stayed at the Radio City Apartments. Literally round the corner from Times Square and Broadway. 20 mins walk to Central Park. Fantastic.

Went to NY 6 years ago with junior fbat and her mum and stayed at Pennsylvania hotel right bang opposite Madison Square gardens.25 dollars taxi to airport.Macy's and time square 10 min walk.

Went on helicopter ride around Manhattan which I thoroughly recommend. :thumbsup:

Was in the BA in December and had a great time thanks to some good recommendations on here. Stayed at Bryant park hotel but apart from a mega room and great location I think it was overpriced and too "hip" being the place where the fashionistas hang out in the basement bar / club.

More like $70 - $ 80 now for a taxi from Newark to central manhatten and i reckon it was one of the most expensive places ive been to in recent years, make sure u take out a second mortgage.

Stayed for a week in the Novotel, just off Times Square. It has a big roof terrace where you can have a drink overlooking Times Square.

The Wellington is also a good hotel and reasonably price.... bit nearer to Central Park. It's where Borat stayed in his film.

I'll be on that roof terrace in 4 weeks, be a bit parky but the view :drinks:

First time stayed at the Milford Plaza was ok, they are doing it up now, Got the blue shuttle bus $24 return from Newark.

Happy Days

Thinking of going to New York this year or next year.

What time of year would you recommend? Dont like it too hot though

Who would you recommend flight wise?

Ta

avoid summer and winter (too hot and too cold)

just get cheapest flight most airlines are much the same and flight is not so long you need to worry.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.