Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The National

wayne cramp

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have been anti racing for years and have now finally washed their hands of it altogether. As is the way with the left leaning coporation its always a one sided argument, cruel sport, ban it, blah blah.

They can't wait for horses to die, of camera they have a waiting RSPCA wallah itching to condem racing. The fact is that if the general public looked after animals in the way our thoroughbreds are cared for then their own "abuse" figures would improve.

I don't think I've ever read so much shite in a single sitting.

So why do they employ people like Claire Balding then?

Politics are not always relevant.

I think you will find that at the bbc they are, I am not alone and am glad that bbc have lost the rights to the big 3. Good riddance to big balding, little willie, parrott and those other idiots, all except commentator Jim Mcgrath(scraping paint on the inside) he is a class act.

My uncomfortable viewing yesterday had nothing to to with BBC

I can make my own mind up thanks you patronising fucker

My uncomfortable viewing yesterday had nothing to to with BBC

I can make my own mind up thanks you patronising fucker

Then don't bloody watch it, its a simple as that. The 50p e/w merchants who have their once a year bets and the bleat how it was "uncomfortable" viewing can go and swing for me. Two horses died at Sedgefield last week and no one including(bbc&rspca) batted an eyelid.

You need to take the blinkers of to see the bigger picture, as its obvious you can't grasp what I and the rest of the racing industry can see.

Sorry, you're right. I'm sure Balding, Pitman and Scudamore all had a big party to celebrate equine fatality. Thank Gudni the Channel 4 fascists are here to save the day.

• Members

Read this thread with interest. Used to have the attitude to the GN of the Baron but have to admit to wavering now. Love the animal itself you see. Anyone who has stared into a horses eye will know what I mean. A special, special animal with a remarkable soul. Anyone who saw Pat Taaffe and Arkle in action wouldn't be able to help marvelling at the exploits of man and horse in perfect harmony.

The fact the 'antis' overlook is the fact that the horses love chasing. A herding animal, jumping hedges is what they would do in the wild. The Baron is also correct on the fantastic treatment they get from their handlers, owners etc. I have no doubt that any of them losing a horse would be as devastated as they would should they lose a family member.

Having said all that, I now think it's time to bring a cherished British institution to an end.

Seeing one die is the most terrible thing. As bad as when my dog passed on last year. Heart wrenching stuff.

See to me, these are horses bred for racing and I don't think there can be any question that they enjoy racing. If they didn't, they wouldn't, because you wouldn't be able to get them out of the stable. Even if they do get so far they can refuse fences, play up otherwise - a horse which behaves on the gallops or on the track is enjoying things hugely. And a looked after race horse will have a marvellous life compared with a working farm horse or some posh family's pet.

All that said -

It's clear that certain trainers/owners develop a close bond with their horses and there was a good feature yesterday about According To Pete, which meant his loss was made even more regrettable - the stable hands and owners were absolutely in love with him, but I have to ask, is the National the race for a horse like that, given the risks?

Accidents will happen sadly and steps can be made to prevent them, but they will happen.

Then don't bloody watch it, its a simple as that. The 50p e/w merchants who have their once a year bets and the bleat how it was "uncomfortable" viewing can go and swing for me. Two horses died at Sedgefield last week and no one including(bbc&rspca) batted an eyelid.

I ain't a horse racing expert but I was at Cheltenham this year and enjoy the racing so neither am I a once per yr person either

And maybe if I was watching sedgfield that'd have made me uncomfortable too; but I wasn't so it didn't

It must be the BBC's fault though

They can't wait for horses to die, of camera they have a waiting RSPCA wallah itching to condem racing.

With respect to you and your "professional standing within the industry", that's utter fucking bollocks.

Mind you, I know nothing about the sport.

Me too. According to Pete bought it too.

I wonder if some of it is due to the sheer number of horses.

Yes, which is why I don't bet on it. I've a number of "horsey" friends who go hunting where the horses regularly jump real fences, none of their horses die though.

As Magic says, maybe if they dropped the numbers running it'd help. Either way, I stay clear & never go to the meet.

In my opinion, two factors are at play here: the number of runners and the speed they hit the first few fences.

Everyone wants to hit the front to stay clear of trouble, but the run to the first fence is 2 furlongs!

The horses are reaching that first fence quicker than listed races over 1mile 6f travel their first 2 furlongs.

I'd suggest a reduction to 20 runners (24 max) and a shortening of the run to the first fence.

There are some very interesting stats relating to Saturday's running of the national (and other years!) and we've put what we think is an excellent piece together over at geegeez, if anyne's interested in reading it. For those who do click http://www.geegeez.co.uk/whither-the-grand-national/ to read it, I'd love to hear your opinions on it.

As an aside, the race provided an exciting finish and Neptune Collonges nicked the race on the line. For those who haven't seen a close-up: here's the official photo-finish:

GN_photofinsh.jpg

In my opinion, two factors are at play here: the number of runners and the speed they hit the first few fences.

Everyone wants to hit the front to stay clear of trouble, but the run to the first fence is 2 furlongs!

The horses are reaching that first fence quicker than listed races over 1mile 6f travel their first 2 furlongs.

I'd suggest a reduction to 20 runners (24 max) and a shortening of the run to the first fence.

There are some very interesting stats relating to Saturday's running of the national (and other years!) and we've put what we think is an excellent piece together over at geegeez, if anyne's interested in reading it. For those who do click http://www.geegeez.c...grand-national/ to read it, I'd love to hear your opinions on it.

As an aside, the race provided an exciting finish and Neptune Collonges nicked the race on the line. For those who haven't seen a close-up: here's the official photo-finish:

GN_photofinsh.jpg

Very good and interesting article that Traf.

I'm far from an expert on Horse Racing, I mainly follow the major events in the year but also a few of the smaller ones as well, so I can't really add an experts opinion, but from what I read it all seems perfectly logical and is impossible IMO to argue with anything that is said.

Do you find watching horses die comfortable ? If you are associated with the racing industry do not you have any feelings towards the animals?

No one batted an eye lid over the Sedgefiled incidents as they were nt shown live on TV nothing to do with lefty bed wetters, Synchronised Gold cup winner ridden on telly by Tony McCoy is bigger news than virtually any other combo you can mention.

I do not want to ban the National I enjoy it and am a regular race goer but a horse dying for sport makes me feel uncomfortable.

I saw one shot at a selling race at Great Yarmouth. I'm no do gooder & didn't get the chance to get far enough away added to the fact I had a friend's kids with me. No curtain, nothing, bang.

Words were said to the course officials.

It's not stopped me going to the racing, it's also not changed my political persuation.