Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Would It Pass For Northern Soul Bolty ?

leigh white

• Members

Dazbob - read Bogsys response. Spot on. He knows - he was there.

CWP - a couple here in our scooter club are regular visitors to Bolton (he De Lacy Drive, she Farnworth). Always went to the Wheel until the most recent demise and recently attended a NS do at Tower Ballroom. Reported back that they were stunned at the youngsters performing 'near acrobatics' out on the floor. Some of them were extras from the NS movie coming out and had travelled up from London just for the allnighter. Now utterly and completely 'into it' and the new generation appears to be guaranteed. Plenty of other young uns in attendance too. Quality will always get followers. Natural market forces.

It won't die just as Mod won't. Mod is the only youth movement which can look back at itself without a shred of embarrassment. Northern Soul, as an offshoot, possibly can't be as cocksure but from all the evidence I have seen around the world, it is like a silent invader, slowly spreading it's tentacles. The annual event at Mojacar in Spain is one example but there are NS events in Singapore, Tokyo, Johor, various places across the US. Mainstream publicity and news items aren't really welcomed. The desire for secrecy and a certain elitism remain strong. For this reason, Pharrell's intervention may not be all that welcomed.

Very kind of you Mr Bolts. Yes I was there, but I don't claim to be an expert or owt and I've been "off the scene" for many years now - although I still love to listen to the old stuff in my car.

The Pharell Williams song is obviously Northern soul influenced and it's a decent enough song, but I find it a tad irritating after a while, mainly due to it being done to death on the radio.

Love the youtube vid of the young Blonde dancing to it in the street.

• Members

Any of the northern soul aficionados go to the ns night at radcliffe civic suite?

The couple I referred to earlier visit Rumworth NS night every time they go back. Also regularly attended by well known Bolton 'face' - FD - who is very definitely an NS afficionado.

The couple I referred to earlier visit Rumworth NS night every time they go back. Also regularly attended by well known Bolton 'face' - FD - who is very definitely an NS afficionado.

FD still going strong at various NS venues. He was a regular at the Twisted Wheel until the old place closed. Not seen him at the new one on Pricess St yet though. I last saw him on Bolton Station on a Sunday on my way to the match. Asked him if he was going to the match but he was on his way to an all dayer in Wigan. Bolton's loss is NS's gain.