Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tomorrow

Not in Crawley

Nobster is officially the best post EVER on WWays. FACT

He's sent me some fantastic photos including one with a poppy on Frank's grave. I'll try to post it later when I'm on my laptop

Much like when Mrs Gonzo got all that sponsorship for the parachute jump I'm bowled over by the generosity shown on here. WWayers are just ace!!!!

Great effort! Makes me want to put some effort into my own family history. Know nothing other than grandparents.

Not sure how old you are MW - but Alfa Travel from Euxton do a 3/4 day coach trip to the Somme including Thiepval & Menin Gate, etc. Might be worth you considering.

Edited by Smiley

Thanks for the comments but no need it was all in a day's work to help a fellow wanderer and we had planned to visit the Thiepval Monument at some point. As Smiley said everybody should try and make a visit just to pay their respects to lost relatives and get a better understanding of what they went through for us. You need to do a bit of homework first as there are over 500 War cemeteries in France and the maps are not very good, most are located on the outskirts of towns and villages but some like yesterday are very remote as a lot of soldiers were buried close to where they fell. Frank is buried alongside his mates in a cemetery called The Regina Trench Cemetery which is located not far from the front line on the Somme true Northern lads stuck together till the end.

Hopefully these pics have all attached to this post. Sorry Nobster couldn't fit them all in due to the size restriction on this board

Top man!! Put a poppy on Frank's grave and a ceramic one on the hill at Thiepval

As my Mum said tonight on the phone, the kindness of some people is remarkable!!!

Not sure how old you are MW - but Alfa Travel from Euxton do a 3/4 day coach trip to the Somme including Thiepval & Menin Gate, etc. Might be worth you considering.

52 but like to think that I'm 30 so not old enough yet for a coach trip  :D  :D

I will have to get myself there somehow or other in the next year or so

• 2 weeks later...