Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip


Ratwhite
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Been one of our best players this season and look much worse without him. 

He has but there's quite a difference between him being our best right back and being Championship quality.

He might possibly be capable of playing as a full back for a bottom eight Championship club but I wouldn't be certain about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

He has but there's quite a difference between him being our best right back and being Championship quality.

He might possibly be capable of playing as a full back for a bottom eight Championship club but I wouldn't be certain about it.

I agree there's a big difference but equally I don't think he'd look out of place at that level. As you say, maybe in a bottom half club but "Championship quality" is quite wide-ranging. There's some players in the Championship that could play in the Premier League and some that are awful and should be nowhere near that level, really depends on the state of the club. 

Should probably have phrased it "players that could be in a promotion-winning team from League One."

Maybe he's being made to look better than he is to me because of the lack of depth in his position, but every time I've seen him play this season he's put in a 7/10 performance or more.

I didn't even think he was that good last season but think he's made the step up very comfortably

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mantra said:

I agree there's a big difference but equally I don't think he'd look out of place at that level. As you say, maybe in a bottom half club but "Championship quality" is quite wide-ranging. There's some players in the Championship that could play in the Premier League and some that are awful and should be nowhere near that level, really depends on the state of the club. 

Should probably have phrased it "players that could be in a promotion-winning team from League One."

Maybe he's being made to look better than he is to me because of the lack of depth in his position, but every time I've seen him play this season he's put in a 7/10 performance or more.

I didn't even think he was that good last season but think he's made the step up very comfortably

Aye. But to be Championship quality he neds to drastically improve his delivery into the box.

I also think the ability of the players he'd be up against in the Championship would be much bigger than the ones he's playing against now. The gap between this league and the one above is the biggest in the football pyramid IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Aye. But to be Championship quality he neds to drastically improve his delivery into the box.

I also think the ability of the players he'd be up against in the Championship would be much bigger than the ones he's playing against now. The gap between this league and the one above is the biggest in the football pyramid IMO.

Yeh clearly has room to improve. Crossing this season has been a huge problem imo.

I think because we have such patient build up, teams get lots of bodies in their box to defend crosses meaning we to have to work very hard to get into a crossing position and when we do get the cross in we rarely find a white shirt because we’re outnumbered in the box. 

And at the other end we seem to be awful at defending crosses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mantra said:

I agree there's a big difference but equally I don't think he'd look out of place at that level. As you say, maybe in a bottom half club but "Championship quality" is quite wide-ranging. There's some players in the Championship that could play in the Premier League and some that are awful and should be nowhere near that level, really depends on the state of the club. 

Should probably have phrased it "players that could be in a promotion-winning team from League One."

Maybe he's being made to look better than he is to me because of the lack of depth in his position, but every time I've seen him play this season he's put in a 7/10 performance or more.

I didn't even think he was that good last season but think he's made the step up very comfortably

Agree on Jones, he's looked outstanding at times.  Our "valuable" players are Santos and Dapo, but they have games when if a scout from a club thinking of signing them watched the first half, they'd leave at half time.  Not so with Jones, has he had a half a game all season when he's not been 7 out of 10 minimum?

But I agree, he's a top half league one player, but unfortunately not championship standard.  Only Dapo has that potential, I don't even think Santos could make the leap, not nimble and speedy enough for me and it doesn't help that he can't win a header in the opposition box.  He'll do for us in this league though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Aye. But to be Championship quality he neds to drastically improve his delivery into the box.

I also think the ability of the players he'd be up against in the Championship would be much bigger than the ones he's playing against now. The gap between this league and the one above is the biggest in the football pyramid IMO.

I agree its a huge gap.  But not the same as the gap between the championship and prem.  Norwich, Bournemouth, WBA and Fulham spring to mind.  And I thought Blackpool would struggle with the step up, but they're on a roll.  (What a job Neil Critchley has done, since he failed to get the job here; Feb 2020, Feeney and Delfoneso started for them against us, and Spearing came on, look at them now - but I still don't understand how Keshi Anderson and Madine are starting in a top half championship team).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agree on Jones, he's looked outstanding at times.  Our "valuable" players are Santos and Dapo, but they have games when if a scout from a club thinking of signing them watched the first half, they'd leave at half time.  Not so with Jones, has he had a half a game all season when he's not been 7 out of 10 minimum?

But I agree, he's a top half league one player, but unfortunately not championship standard.  Only Dapo has that potential, I don't even think Santos could make the leap, not nimble and speedy enough for me and it doesn't help that he can't win a header in the opposition box.  He'll do for us in this league though.

All this putting players into boxes as per their level is utter bollocks imo. When we went up with Sheff Utd how many of their players did you rate as Prem level? Chris Basham maybe (not) ? Craig Cathcart looked bang average in the Championship but has played around 150 games in the top flight & there's plenty of other examples of ordinary looking players coming up from the lower leagues & having a decent sized spell in the top flight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

All this putting players into boxes as per their level is utter bollocks imo. When we went up with Sheff Utd how many of their players did you rate as Prem level? Chris Basham maybe (not) ? Craig Cathcart looked bang average in the Championship but has played around 150 games in the top flight & there's plenty of other examples of ordinary looking players coming up from the lower leagues & having a decent sized spell in the top flight. 

Agree totally. Sometimes better players around can help another rise up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

Ref Kachunga 

talking to an Huddersfield (ST holder - so passed for and proper test) whilst I’m on a bit so thinly veiled two week holiday in Lanzarote 

he said the season they got promoted from Champ to Prem he was there leading scorer and unplayable 

so he is proven at championship level albeit a few years back. 
 

It may be we aren’t getting the best out of him yet 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

All this putting players into boxes as per their level is utter bollocks imo. When we went up with Sheff Utd how many of their players did you rate as Prem level? Chris Basham maybe (not) ? Craig Cathcart looked bang average in the Championship but has played around 150 games in the top flight & there's plenty of other examples of ordinary looking players coming up from the lower leagues & having a decent sized spell in the top flight. 

Its just opinions, I could be completely wrong, just saying if I was putting a squad together to play in the championship only Dapo would definitely make the cut, although no problem giving a squad place to the likes of Johnstone, Santos, MJ, Lee possibly Baka.  Some players obviously have to play above their natural standard to plug the gaps/make the numbers up, its not black and white.  I didn't think Trotter was championship standard, but he played about 150 games at that level, fair play to him, I just wouldn't personally have picked him.  Not putting them in a box, just what I'd do in an ideal world, which is unrealistic of course.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Ratwhite said:

Ref Kachunga 

talking to an Huddersfield (ST holder - so passed for and proper test) whilst I’m on a bit so thinly veiled two week holiday in Lanzarote 

he said the season they got promoted from Champ to Prem he was there leading scorer and unplayable 

so he is proven at championship level albeit a few years back. 
 

It may be we aren’t getting the best out of him yet 

 

He's played 160 games in England & scored 16 goals... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Its just opinions, I could be completely wrong, just saying if I was putting a squad together to play in the championship only Dapo would definitely make the cut, although no problem giving a squad place to the likes of Johnstone, Santos, MJ, Lee possibly Baka.  Some players obviously have to play above their natural standard to plug the gaps/make the numbers up, its not black and white.  I didn't think Trotter was championship standard, but he played about 150 games at that level, fair play to him, I just wouldn't personally have picked him.  Not putting them in a box, just what I'd do in an ideal world, which is unrealistic of course.  

I get you & we all judge players but often the environment is a big factor in players development. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

All this putting players into boxes as per their level is utter bollocks imo. When we went up with Sheff Utd how many of their players did you rate as Prem level? Chris Basham maybe (not) ? Craig Cathcart looked bang average in the Championship but has played around 150 games in the top flight & there's plenty of other examples of ordinary looking players coming up from the lower leagues & having a decent sized spell in the top flight. 

I agree with most of what you said but clubs and fans can’t help but put players in boxes because it’s how you determine whether a player is good enough or not.

With fans it is mostly bollocks because there’s no purpose behind it other than discussion.

Momentum and managers obviously have a huge influence on how players are valued and considered. And as @Tonge moor green jacketis correct in saying, one player can make other players better or worse.

Ultimately though, you have to have some way to analyse players on an individual basis when you strip away all the context.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, burnden said:

Does that leave room for a replacement coming in ?

Comley leaving didn't free up anymore room as he wasn't a registered player, but we already had 3 unused squad spaces.

League One teams can have a maximum of 22 over-21, outfield players registered - we're at 19 after Sarcevic's departure.

 

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/c5d1297ad65c49c6bac4ae0e69c6b48e/squad-list-publication-report-2021-22---08.09.2021.pdf

Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 16.01.25.png

Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 16.01.38.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Casino pinned this topic
  • Casino unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.