Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers 0-3 Boro

bolton va va

one of my issues are the inconsistent performances

Take a good performance away at brum and follow up by not turning up against Derby

Sheffield Wednesday in cup cracking performance apart from switching off at the end, and that Wednesday team was packed with money signings so forget budget issue there to then capitulate at hull without fight

Sheffield Wednesday played their reserves though mainly. Sure some expensive signings in there but its very different throwing a reserve team together for a meaningless cup game than it is playing your first team in a full blooded league match.

Much as I'd like to say otherwise I have to agree with anewman. We looked beaten before we started against Boro, and just seemed to accept the inevitable. I don't think its bottle. I don't think these players have got the collective belief that they can compete against these sides at this level. 

Sheffield Wednesday played their reserves though mainly. Sure some expensive signings in there but its very different throwing a reserve team together for a meaningless cup game than it is playing your first team in a full blooded league match.

Much as I'd like to say otherwise I have to agree with anewman. We looked beaten before we started against Boro, and just seemed to accept the inevitable. I don't think its bottle. I don't think these players have got the collective belief that they can compete against these sides at this level.

but it's a win that should be a lift going into the next game which was hull and that was shambolic. Just don't think Parkinson has the motivation to fire these men up.

It may be the way he interviews but he seems like a beaten man sometimes

• Site Supporter

but it's a win that should be a lift going into the next game which was hull and that was shambolic. Just don't think Parkinson has the motivation to fire these men up.

I agree entirely re the Wednesday game and follow up performance.

It was obviously the best we'd played this season, and for me the same team and set up should have played the next game.

If you do well and are rewarded with being dropped its not going to help your commitment, especially when you see what the "firsts" achieve.

• Moderators

how long we reckon KA would give Parky

they seem to get on great, and work well together and all that

but if KA wants to sell / attract investment, it's going to make his job more difficult if we're looking at being back in league one next season

not that's there is any money to attract a better option to replace him - and even though KA is well aware of all the restrictions Parky is working under, at what point would he decide he has to change something to improve his chances of investment / selling

thinking 12 games-ish

this isn't a Parky out post, just wondering if he gets more or less time given KAs apparent plans for the club

we desperately need to beat Sheff Utd for everyones sake, if we do, I think we will start to pick up more, and no reason we couldn't get 4 of Ipswich and Brentford

• Site Supporter

Been wondering the same zico. Ka is a hard business man, and says he's not had a wage yet. He's going to want something back sooner or later. Getting the embargo lifted would help with investors, but so is league position. Reckon we'd need to be close enough to get out come the next window if money was put in.

If that's not looking likely, then it wouldn't surprise me if ka acted.

but if KA wants to sell / attract investment, it's going to make his job more difficult if we're looking at being back in league one next season

not that's there is any money to attract a better option to replace him - and even though KA is well aware of all the restrictions Parky is working under, at what point would he decide he has to change something to improve his chances of investment / selling

thinking 12 games-ish

this isn't a Parky out post, just wondering if he gets more or less time given KAs apparent plans for the club

we desperately need to beat Sheff Utd for everyones sake, if we do, I think we will start to pick up more, and no reason we couldn't get 4 of Ipswich and Brentford

thats it there's so much going on not just on the pitch which adds to the whole situation

And myself would like to say I'm not wanting him out, I don't think he's the man for the job going forward but I will continue to give him my support

Theres no reason why we can't get 4 points if we dig deep and show some belief

Not a Parkinson fan myself, don't neccesarily want him gone, but I do think it will get a bit hostile if we lose tomorrow night, for me he doesn't seem to get the best out of what we have, and some very strange decisions during games, hope he can sort it out, but the longer we go without a league win the more flak he's going to get rightly or wrongly.

thinking 12 games-ish

Why would Ken want to draw attention to the situation we're in and put more pressure on himself? At the minute he and Parky have a great relationship and Parky has been patient and not exactly demanding under the circumstances. New manager in and they may start to draw attention to the need to lift the embargo and sign players. Personally I think if Parkinson is sacked it is a very, very poor decision. At least see what he does for a year without the restrictions he's currently working under. This season may well be too late for anyone to save. We can't substantially change the squad till January and by then.....

Parky is a good manager for me, who has perhaps panicked in his recruitment this summer and made a number of signings that under the circumstances just haven't improved us. We have Little and Darby for one position for example Did we need that? Are either any better than Lawrie Wilson?

• Moderators

Tbd, he doesn't chuck it in to his posts

I just think it's interesting that somebody who has played a bit doesn't think it's as simple as kick him up in the air

Unlike lies who has only ever run after a pie

It's something we all grew up with but these days, even if you catch the fella you're going off if you do it

interestingly, in that BN link Parky said:

“We have to do better,” he told The Bolton News. “I have told the lads a challenge which might have won you the ball in League One won’t necessarily win it in the Championship. We need to be stronger.

“I have just watched the first goal with David Lee and he said ‘as a wide player I’d have expected to be on the floor’ but we just weren’t physical enough.

“We have got to be stronger in those situations. We had four attempts to get the ball off him but he still wriggled past us and managed to get a great cross in.”

interestingly, in that BN link Parky said:

“We have to do better,” he told The Bolton News. “I have told the lads a challenge which might have won you the ball in League One won’t necessarily win it in the Championship. We need to be stronger.

“I have just watched the first goal with David Lee and he said ‘as a wide player I’d have expected to be on the floor’ but we just weren’t physical enough.

“We have got to be stronger in those situations. We had four attempts to get the ball off him but he still wriggled past us and managed to get a great cross in.”

jesus like I wrote that????

• Site Supporter

Who do folk think is out there gagging to come to Bolton ffs

we are fortunate to have the guy we have got, its not going to be pretty with some of the players we have but was anyone seriously

expecting anything other than a struggle. I think so far the players are culpable not he manager.

I expected a bit more confidence amongst the players, didn't expect anything but a struggle, but after last years promotion, I'm a bit surprised by the number of comments after games saying we seemed to lack heart and effort.

For me being fairly well organised and team spirit were the cornerstones of promotion.

I expected a bit more confidence amongst the players, didn't expect anything but a struggle, but after last years promotion, I'm a bit surprised by the number of comments after games saying we seemed to lack heart and effort.

For me being fairly well organised and team spirit were the cornerstones of promotion.

Isn't that what fans always say when teams lose games? I don't think we lack heart or effort. I think it always is what fans say when teams struggle. Being inferior also makes you look less organised. 

If we had a decent centre midfield pairing i think we'd do ok.Karacan and Pratley just aren't good enough at this level.

Quite how we can manage to attract decent players at the moment though is beyond me.

I'd prefer to see a bit more fight from what we have and be a bit harder to beat at home - every side that's come here look like scoring from every attack.

• Site Supporter

You maybe right. But when a lot of folk say it, many of whom have been watching for many years there may be something to it.

I've not seen much so far this season, so can only go off posts on here, and personal testimonies.

Discussing palace an the other thread- they were excellent against Burnley and lost. Certainly didn't lack confidence and played very well.

Who do folk think is out there gagging to come to Bolton ffs

we are fortunate to have the guy we have got, its not going to be pretty with some of the players we have but was anyone seriously

expecting anything other than a struggle. I think so far the players are culpable not he manager.

I agree with you, in that I've no wish to see us change manager any time soon.

But, if we were to sack him, plenty would want the job. We were in varying states of disarray when we appointed Freedman, Lennon and Parky, but all three were seen as decent coups at the time.

If we had a decent centre midfield pairing i think we'd do ok.Karacan and Pratley just aren't good enough at this level.

Quite how we can manage to attract decent players at the moment though is beyond me.

I'd prefer to see a bit more fight from what we have and be a bit harder to beat at home - every side that's come here look like scoring from every attack.

Agree 100%. 

Can someone in the know answer this?

Can we sign players (free obviously) but offer them, a bonus or some such, that allows us to pay them a lump sum once the embargo is lifted, by means of compensation for low initial wages.

Deferred salary if you will.

Possibly. But as we have a squad of 24 we can't sign anyone under embargo rules anyway. So basically...no.