Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Wireless devices


Casino
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve just priced up a wireless intruder alarm system for a house we are renovating, it needs 7 motion detectors (all wireless) 

I will need three wireless thermostats to run separate zones 

that’s ten before we’ve moved in 

add three Sky boxes, two mobile phones, two laptops and a tablet and we are at 18 

not sorted speakers yet but they are going the same way, as is everything else! Luckily Virgin supply upto 300mb to the address so we should be fine 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
37 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I’ve just priced up a wireless intruder alarm system for a house we are renovating, it needs 7 motion detectors (all wireless) 

I will need three wireless thermostats to run separate zones 

that’s ten before we’ve moved in 

add three Sky boxes, two mobile phones, two laptops and a tablet and we are at 18 

not sorted speakers yet but they are going the same way, as is everything else! Luckily Virgin supply upto 300mb to the address so we should be fine 

If it's still a building site, add a wired network, if only for the sky q

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I’ve just priced up a wireless intruder alarm system for a house we are renovating, it needs 7 motion detectors (all wireless) 

I will need three wireless thermostats to run separate zones 

that’s ten before we’ve moved in 

add three Sky boxes, two mobile phones, two laptops and a tablet and we are at 18 

not sorted speakers yet but they are going the same way, as is everything else! Luckily Virgin supply upto 300mb to the address so we should be fine 

Is that just the west wing of your mansion birch 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

People seem to be massively misunderstanding the speed and capacity of their internet...

I work from home in IT and being miles from the exchange then I need cable, "normal" internet over copper wire is too slow.

A speed of 8mb is adequate. 20mb, 50mb, 100mb, you could run a small country on these, you could stream 4k video for fun... These devices don't need any of that, you could easily just use your phone as a hotspot and run most stuff over 4g.

What you need to watch is your download limit, you know like when your phone comes with 1 gig data and your home broadband has 30 gig or whatever.  I'm "unlimited" as I can't be arsed monitoring it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

I was on 1gig with Vodafone and went over one month. The sales team phoned me to sell me extra data which, based on normal usage, I didn't need so I threatened to go elsewhere when my contract (three phones) expired. They ended up GIVING me an extra 3gig of data per month for free. I still don't use more than 1gig each month normally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SnoopJohnnyJohn said:

PCs on wifi is super pikey.

Only things I have using wifi are my phone and iPad. Everything else (including TVs, boxes, consoles etc.) are all wired.

it's the opposite with me, i've even bought the opposite of powerline plugs (lan-to-wifi ones) like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NIUHA84 , so that i can have 'wireless' devices that were originally wired only to get through walls and other stuff in the way.

LAN cabling everywhere , just to see them change it to faster speed wires (i remember the cat5 10mbs , to cat7 10gbs Specs being a big jump speed wise), Pain in the arse swapping all that over.

at least if its wireless , you just swap out a box/adapter/device or whatever for a newer faster one. 

dunno how a wireless printer works (its probably magic) , but printing docs from yr phone is like Star Trek or summat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Carlos said:

People seem to be massively misunderstanding the speed and capacity of their internet...

I work from home in IT and being miles from the exchange then I need cable, "normal" internet over copper wire is too slow.

A speed of 8mb is adequate. 20mb, 50mb, 100mb, you could run a small country on these, you could stream 4k video for fun... These devices don't need any of that, you could easily just use your phone as a hotspot and run most stuff over 4g.

What you need to watch is your download limit, you know like when your phone comes with 1 gig data and your home broadband has 30 gig or whatever.  I'm "unlimited" as I can't be arsed monitoring it.

i wish you worked for sky

most i can get is 35 meg

the woman says my problem is bandwidth

i dont think it is - i think the issue is more getting the signal around the house

in the bedroom above the router i get 25down

in the extension, it can drop as low as 2 but is generally steady at 8-10 which is sufficient for the sky minibox

shy would it drop to 2?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My max is 3. A bit slow and annoying on occasions but adequate for my needs. No way am I paying for cable to be laid/installed from the junction box at the bottom of our lane to our house. Would cost a fortune for no discernable benefit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
44 minutes ago, Casino said:

i wish you worked for sky

most i can get is 35 meg

the woman says my problem is bandwidth

i dont think it is - i think the issue is more getting the signal around the house

in the bedroom above the router i get 25down

in the extension, it can drop as low as 2 but is generally steady at 8-10 which is sufficient for the sky minibox

shy would it drop to 2?

I'm on Sky connected to green box at top of Stitch Mi so probs same as you. I'm on cable as it was only dribbling through overwise.

I was getting about 35 meg speed but they recently wrote to me saying it was being upped for free. Fibre Max? This is a bit like telling you your car will now do 300 miles an hour as opposed to 200. Pointless, however I'll measure it later.

Then the Sky box is a router, they are pretty shit as far as signal strength goes. It may not make it through a couple of walls. You may be able to get something to relay the signal a booster or repeater.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.