Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Climate Change

deane koontz

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

And totally the wrong choice of speaker when you're trying to build a concensus. A million people switched off because they've heard Emma Thompson is involved and so therefore it's a lefty, middle class type problem. 

I don't mind who speaks. So long as they make sense and a good point. Unfortunately, whenever I seen her, she's always been very political and critical.

Need to see people who will be pushy, informative but who are looking to bring folk onside and build a concensus.

I heard one radio presenter talking to someone the other day, and she asked the guest " do people see this as middle class folk just having a protest" or words to that effect.

I was a bit surprised, because I'm not aware that folk do feel that way.

There are folk from all walks becoming more aware and concerned. Similarly there are people from all walks that just don't give a shit.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

700 arrests so far 

Met police overrun 

Lets hope we don’t see an opportunistic terrorist incident using this as a decoy 

As they like being Superglued to things, just leave them where they are. Wait while it starts raining, or the train starts up. Might think again.

• Members

Said to the missus yesterday, shame the weather is so nice in London. A fucking good downpour and the only problem left would be the superglued ones who I would then leave there for at least a fortneet.

Perhaps provide piles of rotting vegetables so the passers by who these cunts have inconvenienced can experience what it was like back in medieval times with the stocks.

I'm broadly in favour of people coming together to work on the global issues.

I don't neccessarily trust the political aims of this lot and the aim of net zero emissions by 2025 doesn't seem possible.

• Site Supporter

Whilst I get the "science" behind these climate changes; Carbon Dioxide emissions, etc., don't major catastrophic events happen in long cycles? Ice age and stuff like that. How do we know that, despite our self-destruct abilities, it was happening anyway and we're just coming into a new "warmer-than-normal-age"? 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Whilst I get the "science" behind these climate changes; Carbon Dioxide emissions, etc., don't major catastrophic events happen in long cycles? Ice age and stuff like that. How do we know that, despite our self-destruct abilities, it was happening anyway and we're just coming into a new "warmer-than-normal-age"? 

Exactly. Why even bother trying to reduce pollution and use cleaner energy? It could all just be a waste of effort.

• Members
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fucking hell. What a waste of carbon atoms that mon sounds.

Through all of his left wing diatribe, the point which leaps off the page is that he  "lives a frugal life off his savings so that he doesn't have to work".

Tells us all we need to know. Another fucktard who would have us living by candlelight in mud huts if he had his way.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, MickyD said:

6 hours ago, Cheese said:

Exactly. Why even bother trying to reduce pollution and use cleaner energy? It could all just be a waste of effort.

I wasn't thinking "Why bother?" I was thinking maybe it's a dawning of a new age. Do all we can to prevent the inevitable but, maybe not in our lifetimes, realise that no amount of money being thrown at reversing the ecology makes any difference.

44 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I wasn't thinking "Why bother?" I was thinking maybe it's a dawning of a new age. Do all we can to prevent the inevitable but, maybe not in our lifetimes, realise that no amount of money being thrown at reversing the ecology makes any difference.

There's a possibility that it could be part of a natural cycle, but that's massively, massively unlikely - especially when you view it in the context of the rapid change of the past 30 - 40 years.

We understand previous cycles of warming and cooling pretty well. So unless there's some previously misunderstood mechanism for the changes we're going through now - then it's our fault sadly. We understand emissions and global warming so well that anybody arguing that it's a natural cycle would need to explain why the amount of emissions human beings are producing ISN'T causing a greenhouse effect. Plus they'd have to come up with a reasonable hypothesis that explains the phenomenon. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, kent_white said:

There's a possibility that it could be part of a natural cycle, but that's massively, massively unlikely - especially when you view it in the context of the rapid change of the past 30 - 40 years.

We understand previous cycles of warming and cooling pretty well. So unless there's some previously misunderstood mechanism for the changes we're going through now - then it's our fault sadly. We understand emissions and global warming so well that anybody arguing that it's a natural cycle would need to explain why the amount of emissions human beings are producing ISN'T causing a greenhouse effect. Plus they'd have to come up with a reasonable hypothesis that explains the phenomenon. 

Just for clarity, I'm not "arguing that it's a natural cycle" I'm questioning the likelihood.

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Just for clarity, I'm not "arguing that it's a natural cycle" I'm questioning the likelihood.

In that case - its extremely unlikely.

We've spent the last 40 years having to have arguments like this. It's part of the reason we've not got very far.

I can link to some decent articles about it if you're interested?

This one's a good place to start.....

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2017/04/04/how-we-know-climate-change-is-not-natural/

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's the unprecedented speed of change that the concern, and the indicator that it's not purely a natural cycle.

Magnetic polar shifts are a natural phenomenon that could really bugger up the planet, but there's not much we can do about that!

The one I'm most worried about is a CME like the Carrington Event. We'd be fucked instantly. And that really is a matter of when not if.

Cheery thread this! :)

• Members
2 hours ago, kent_white said:

See, this is where I have a major problem with all these doom mongers. As previously advised, don't get me wrong - plastic pollution killing marine life; water conservation for an ever increasing population; harnessing the power of the sun rather than burning fossil fuels etc., I am completely on board with it all.

The highlighted bit however, with the utmost respect, is pure bunkum. Only just over two hundred years ago we were harnessing the power of steam. Weather pattern records only commenced in 1880.

The earth is over 4.5 billion years old so to suggest that we fully understand weather cycles from only the pin prick of time we have been taking notice is folly of the highest order IMO.

54 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

See, this is where I have a major problem with all these doom mongers. As previously advised, don't get me wrong - plastic pollution killing marine life; water conservation for an ever increasing population; harnessing the power of the sun rather than burning fossil fuels etc., I am completely on board with it all.

The highlighted bit however, with the utmost respect, is pure bunkum. Only just over two hundred years ago we were harnessing the power of steam. Weather pattern records only commenced in 1880.

The earth is over 4.5 billion years old so to suggest that we fully understand weather cycles from only the pin prick of time we have been taking notice is folly of the highest order IMO.

We can. It's called Palaeoclimatology.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, kent_white said:

We can. It's called Palaeoclimatology.

Looking back through ice and rock samples to analyse chemical and biological composition?

Illustrative of changes iirc.

With regards to cme- we'd just need to put Ken in a rocket ship and place it in the way. Nowt sticks to him and he deflects everything so we'd be ok.