Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Glastonbury... Is it all that?

Dr Faustus

I've been to 100s of gigs, and a good few day festivals, but never had the full camping experience. That's something I hope to change, but is the big un all that? Does it retain the same ethos as it did years ago, or is it just some commercial cash cow for faux hippies and hipsters to milk? Is it not just middle class folk hanging on to their youth? The line up, as eclectic as it is, as good as much smaller festivals? Is the diversity the charm? Is it simply a box on a bucket list? 

Thoughts? 

Does it really matter as long as you enjoy it. 

Too many people seem to only want to like something that is out there etc. 

100% its commercial, imo it always has been. If it wasn't you wouldn't know about it. 

I would be all over it if i could justify the cost v the cost of going to a festival of just the music i like. 

Purely from a music perspective it cannot be faulted, something for everyone. However, I've never been as I hate camping, mud and big gigs. 

Undoubtedly to be pyramid headline act is a defining moment in the career of any performer.  My favourites from TV watching are Radiohead (90's one), Muse and Foo Fighters.

"Glastonbury? It's just the most incredible atmosphere. If you reckon that the atmosphere in medieval England - plague, filth, disease and billions of mud-splattered tolers everywhere would qualify as incredible, then Glastonbury is indeed incredible." 

Kill your friends - John Niven. 

I’d love to go.

off what people have told me, there’s a hell of a lot more to enjoy than the mainstream stuff you see on the telly. 

Couldn’t face camping though, would need one of them lodge things or summet. 

• Moderators

I've never done a festival "properly", because it looks like a nightmare in many respects

did V2004 because we got wristbands that meant we got into the nice area where the toilets/portaloos were clean, there were benches to sit down at where you could have the food and ale that you had queued for 2 minutes for.  We also went to a hotel in the morning to shower and freshen up.   the bands we saw tip top  though and it was sunny.

I did try the "public" toilets once and it was fucking grim

if I had to do it now, it'd be in a camper van and at one of the smaller ones like Kendall Calling or Y Not

there's loads to do at Glastonbury but I reckon I'd get stoned and lost and end up wandering around on mi todd in semi monged state most of the weekend, trying to avoid having a shit

I first went as a 15 year old in about 1993. Nothing will ever touch that weekend.

Spoken to a few people my age who've been recently and they've universally said it's a completely different feel to back in the day. Not just looking back through rose tinted spectacles either - these are people who like me, still go to numerous festivals every year.

Back in the day it still had that hippy, traveler, free party feel. People jumping over the fence and a genuine celebration of counterculture. That's pretty much gone now. You almost need a biometric scan to get in. 

A bit like football I guess - they're killed a little bit of it by making it less appealing to the people who made it edgy and exciting in the first place.

That said - I'm sure you'd have a brilliant time if you went. Providing you aren't a massive soft arse and the weather stays decent.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

I learnt the other day that Pink Floyd have never played Glastonbury 

Surprised me a little that 

I watched Roger Waters on the Pyramid stage in 2002. It was incredible. Followed by Rod Stewart, which wasn't quite as good. 

One of my lads and some of his mates were having a look at one in Bucharest, £26 for 2 days with Liam Gallagher, Kaiser Chiefs, and Disclosure confirmed. Not sure how much travel etc would have been on top but as they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery he never did find out.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Nah, not for me. Mud/shit/piss and air beds- fuck that.

Big questions last year over the hundreds of cheap single use tents that were left abandoned- flies in the face of the eco warrior/festival types' mantra.

Iirc oxfam gather them up and use them in disaster relief. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

That's shown me. 

Always had a decent tent in my yoof so always took it down and with me. 

Ashamed to say, me and my mates always left ours. Like you, we were under the impression it would be recycled for a good cause. In reality, we were just being a bunch of lazy selfish cunts who didn't really give it a second thought. 

4 hours ago, L/H White said:

I did Leeds Festival in 2001, and it was fantastic

although that festival seems to have lost it's identity

most festival lineups these days are littered with shite

I wouldnt be paying near £300 for Glastonbury, it's looks really poor

Think I was at the same festival. Cheese was there too :)

...the line up for last year was fookin terrible. 

I did V festival twice and stayed in a little cottage just up the road. Chemical Brothers on the main stage one year and Sasha and Digweed in the dance tent. Ace stuff. 

I’d love to do Luminosity before I hang up my glow sticks.