Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

During my travels in January, I passed through Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. A huge new airport.
My thoughts went back to 1985 when Bob Geldorf created Live Aid and begged us all to give generously. I did and glad I did. 
They are now planning another airport.

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN1ZE1W3

These activists who are digging up lawns must surely be aware that we live in a big world and a Comrade (little) Englander mentality is utterly pointless in the big scheme of things.

On 03/03/2020 at 19:38, Boby Brno said:

During my travels in January, I passed through Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. A huge new airport.
My thoughts went back to 1985 when Bob Geldorf created Live Aid and begged us all to give generously. I did and glad I did. 
They are now planning another airport.

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN1ZE1W3

These activists who are digging up lawns must surely be aware that we live in a big world and a Comrade (little) Englander mentality is utterly pointless in the big scheme of things.

Hope you enjoyed your winter travels pal. That lawn action was bollocks ey.

They are building an airport & with plenty support & investment from our own government & British companies. In fact, as you were on your travels, our government struck up a new African trade deal- with a whopping 90% of those investments being in fossil fuels...

https://www.eceee.org/all-news/news/hypocrisy-90-of-uk-africa-summits-energy-deals-were-in-fossil-fuels/

Great for corporations & the government - we can fund devastating rises in CO2 emissions across the world without any effect on our own emissions targets. 

Still think we don't matter?

Edited by London Wanderer

This is perfect....

Scientists: you should wash your hands because of Coronavirus.

People: I'm gonna stop flying, hoard masks, work from home & totally rearrange my life.

Also Scientists: the #ClimateCrisis will kill millions - we must use clean power & change how we get to work.

People: No way

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

https://www.eceee.org/all-news/news/hypocrisy-90-of-uk-africa-summits-energy-deals-were-in-fossil-fuels/

Great for corporations & the government - we can fund devastating rises in CO2 emissions across the world without any effect on our own emissions targets. 

Not good on the face of that report.

Can only be hoped that as green energy etc takes off over here, it naturally takes over in these places too.

The lawn action was stupid however.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

This is perfect....

Scientists: you should wash your hands because of Coronavirus.

People: I'm gonna stop flying, hoard masks, work from home & totally rearrange my life.

Also Scientists: the #ClimateCrisis will kill millions - we must use clean power & change how we get to work.

People: No way

People aren't saying no way, a willingness to change is increasing.

Interesting how you say "how we get to work". No mention of flying to Mexico for a holiday.

29 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

People aren't saying no way, a willingness to change is increasing.

Interesting how you say "how we get to work". No mention of flying to Mexico for a holiday.

I didn’t say it. The tweet just illustrates disproportionate response to one thing over another. 

It's pointless picking apart the tweet fells as that just misses the point. 

Of course it ain't going to apply to everyone and many people are willing to change. But the underlying message is an important one- That if world leaders and nations mobilised around the climate and ecological emergency as it currently is around the coronavirus- then we would currently be looking at our rate of CO2 emissions slowing rather than rapidly increasing. 

Two emergencies treated in completely different ways- And it goes without saying that the most urgent one is being treated with less urgency. Though it's a generalisation- that tweet asks the hugely important question as to why that is....

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not good on the face of that report.

Can only be hoped that as green energy etc takes off over here, it naturally takes over in these places too.

The lawn action was stupid however.

Aye ridiculous. There has been a huge increase in protests that are targetting those who invest in fossil fuels and that is massively important in the current context. But to do in in thay way was daft.

If we are to have any chance of solving the crisis then fossil fuel companies have to be viewed in the same light at tobacco companies are. Especially as they spend billions lobbying against climate legislation and 'green' advertising campaigns. 

XR Scotland protested outside a pension fund who increased there investment in fossil fuels recently. They didn't disrupt the general public or shut anything down. They got plenty of media coverage and positive staff responses regarding where they would be looking to invest in the future. Shows these actions can be done differently in most cases. 

5 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Hope you enjoyed your winter travels pal. That lawn action was bollocks ey.

They are building an airport & with plenty support & investment from our own government & British companies. In fact, as you were on your travels, our government struck up a new African trade deal- with a whopping 90% of those investments being in fossil fuels...

My point was that the country is now prospering compared to 1985. There are 109 million people in Ethiopia who would all like what we have. As they progress, they will consume. Their carbon footprint will increase as ours decreases. That’s just one developing nation, there are many more. No, we don’t matter in the big scheme of things. We could go carbon neutral but others will increase.

58 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

My point was that the country is now prospering compared to 1985. There are 109 million people in Ethiopia who would all like what we have. As they progress, they will consume. Their carbon footprint will increase as ours decreases. That’s just one developing nation, there are many more. No, we don’t matter in the big scheme of things. We could go carbon neutral but others will increase.

You should probably do your research on these countries before you make predictions on where they're heading.Ethiopia has some of the most ambitious climate targets in the world. Ironically enough they're in line with XRs. Aiming to be carbon neutral by 2025. https://www.ecosystemmarketplace.com/articles/how-ethiopia-is-slowing-climate-change-by-reviving-its-forests-and-its-economy/ We would have our fucking work cut out to match that.

Ethiopia has transformed its economy in the past decade but at a huge cost to its natural environment and soil. They are one of the most vulnerable countries in the world to the effects of climate change and they appear to be recognising this and acting with some level of urgency. Not saying that there isn't hypocrisy- they shouldn't be building that aiport. But the idea that developed nations are doing nothing to combat climate change and are going exceed our carbon footprint is nonsense. 

The average British person will have emitted more carbon dioxide in the first two weeks of the year than a citizen of Ethiopia will in a year. And whilst we spout on about going carbon neutral- we continue to invest the bulk of our money into fossil fuel projects across the world- thus avoiding any impact on 'our' emissions.

We can act locally where we can but this is a global issue and we can make a huge difference. 

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

You should probably do your research on these countries before you make predictions on where they're heading.

Don't be daft, they're not white, so they obviously live in a backward society. No need to think beyond that presumption.

41 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

You should probably do your research on these countries before you make predictions on where they're heading.Ethiopia has some of the most ambitious climate targets in the world. Ironically enough they're in line with XRs. Aiming to be carbon neutral by 2025. https://www.ecosystemmarketplace.com/articles/how-ethiopia-is-slowing-climate-change-by-reviving-its-forests-and-its-economy/ We would have our fucking work cut out to match that.

Ethiopia has transformed its economy in the past decade but at a huge cost to its natural environment and soil. They are one of the most vulnerable countries in the world to the effects of climate change and they appear to be recognising this and acting with some level of urgency. Not saying that there isn't hypocrisy- they shouldn't be building that aiport. But the idea that developed nations are doing nothing to combat climate change and are going exceed our carbon footprint is nonsense. 

The average British person will have emitted more carbon dioxide in the first two weeks of the year than a citizen of Ethiopia will in a year. And whilst we spout on about going carbon neutral- we continue to invest the bulk of our money into fossil fuel projects across the world- thus avoiding any impact on 'our' emissions.

We can act locally where we can but this is a global issue and we can make a huge difference. 

Serious question. What’s the difference between Climate Neutral, in the report and Carbon Neutral, in your post. 

4 hours ago, Boby Brno said:

Serious question. What’s the difference between Climate Neutral, in the report and Carbon Neutral, in your post. 

Climate and carbon neutrality mean the same. It is balancing your emissions released with emissions removed from the atmosphere through offsetting or sequestering. Carbon Zero is when something releases no carbon from the get go- such as an off-grid community centre powered 100% by solar or wind. 

This is a better climate analysis website run by a consortium of scientists. You can track the emissions and progress of the nations who commited to the Paris Agreement. It covers 80% of global emissions and the ratings are based on what countries have done and what they have commited to. https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/ethiopia/

Ethiopia have a 'compatible' rating and are seen as consitent with the Cobenhagen 2009 2 degrees commitment. Not great and not yet in line with the Paris Agreement but progress is being made. Here in the UK our rating is even worse. Based on our commitments  and progress we have been given an 'insufficient' rating- in line with 3 degrees of warming. I think the evidence shows the opposite to your argument that their carbon footprint will increase as ours decreases.

• Site Supporter

Fair play to Ethiopia on that; reinvigorating forests etc.

I would imagine it's a bit easier to get towards those goals when you're starting from a less developed place: much lower emissions per head should be easier to "neutralise" than our higher figure.

That said, it doesn't mean countries like ours can use that as an excuse for being a bit slower.

In that regard I've been pleased that the government has started with bringing forward the ban on fossil fuel cars and air quality initiatives over firewood. 

Hopefully these are just the start; a toe dip in the water with other significant proposals to come. We've heard a lot from politicians of all persuasions on tree planting, but I'm keen to see proper plans and timescales for this.

On a slightly different measure; it was good to see some experimental work being undertaken on smithills moor by the woodlands trust, with regards slowing down water run off.

On 08/03/2020 at 15:40, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fair play to Ethiopia on that; reinvigorating forests etc.

I would imagine it's a bit easier to get towards those goals when you're starting from a less developed place: much lower emissions per head should be easier to "neutralise" than our higher figure.

That said, it doesn't mean countries like ours can use that as an excuse for being a bit slower.

In that regard I've been pleased that the government has started with bringing forward the ban on fossil fuel cars and air quality initiatives over firewood. 

Hopefully these are just the start; a toe dip in the water with other significant proposals to come. We've heard a lot from politicians of all persuasions on tree planting, but I'm keen to see proper plans and timescales for this.

On a slightly different measure; it was good to see some experimental work being undertaken on smithills moor by the woodlands trust, with regards slowing down water run off.

Definitely some positives and it's important to celebrate them. The Heathrow case was the biggest one recently. If we can start consistently criminalising projects and political policies that aren't in line with the Paris Agreement then we may yet be saved. 

Still there's a lot of hypocrisy with the current government- Such as banning fossil-fuel cars in our own country by 2035 but investing billions in fossil-fuels in an African trade deal. But like you said- it's a toe dip in the water, let's hope it's a sign of them upping their game. 

After all - the Head of the UN said the coronovirus was a needle in the haystack compared to climate change and has told us to get our act together. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/10/climate-emergency-global-action-way-off-track-says-un-head-coronavirus

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Definitely some positives and it's important to celebrate them. The Heathrow case was the biggest one recently. If we can start consistently criminalising projects and political policies that aren't in line with the Paris Agreement then we may yet be saved. 

Still there's a lot of hypocrisy with the current government- Such as banning fossil-fuel cars in our own country by 2035 but investing billions in fossil-fuels in an African trade deal. But like you said- it's a toe dip in the water, let's hope it's a sign of them upping their game. 

After all - the Head of the UN said the coronovirus was a needle in the haystack compared to climate change and has told us to get our act together. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/10/climate-emergency-global-action-way-off-track-says-un-head-coronavirus

Was listening to a feature on this re introduction of sea grass  today, was quite interesting, not a solution in itself but a good contribution along with other measures ,especially if they expand it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51804404

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, fatolive said:

Was listening to a feature on this re introduction of sea grass  today, was quite interesting, not a solution in itself but a good contribution along with other measures ,especially if they expand it.

Aye, saw that on the news. Amazing just how much has been lost.

Also takes a while to get a big area back, so hopefully will be doing similar projects elsewhere.

19 hours ago, fatolive said:

Aye it's incredible stuff. It traps & sequests more carbon than trees. Plus it's the most nutritionally dense food in the world. We could fortify bread & cereal with it & feed it to livestock, as cows produce 90 % less methane when they eat Seaweed over grass. Yet we're still choosing to feed them soya from the Amazon 😲

Winning on all fronts... Get it planted everyfuckingwhere.

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Aye it's incredible stuff. It traps & sequests more carbon than trees. Plus it's the most nutritionally dense food in the world. We could fortify bread & cereal with it & feed it to livestock, as cows produce 90 % less methane when they eat Seaweed over grass. Yet we're still choosing to feed them soya from the Amazon 😲

Winning on all fronts... Get it planted everyfuckingwhere.

If you're going to harvest it in that sort of quantity, we'd be back to square one! :)

That soya business is a disgrace in fairness though.

Maybe more fish in the diet that will thrive in the grass; make a living from beachcasting!!

Wonder if pond weeds (fresh water) behave in a similar way re carbon capture.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If you're going to harvest it in that sort of quantity, we'd be back to square one! :)

That soya business is a disgrace in fairness though.

Maybe more fish in the diet that will thrive in the grass; make a living from beachcasting!!

Wonder if pond weeds (fresh water) behave in a similar way re carbon capture.

Not at all- it's got huge potential to capture carbon and boost our economy- Lot's of evidence in scientific and farming papers that we should be farming much more of it to mitigate the effects of climate change. 
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190829124250.htm
 https://www.aquaculturealliance.org/blog/seaweed-aquaculture-benefits/

It can help clean the water as well as sequester the carbon it traps under the seabed. So when you harvest one section of the crop huge amounts of carbon have already been stored elsewhere. Plus you don't pull it up via the roots as you do with trees. So it simply springs back up and carries on working its fucking magic. And to top it all off- it could finally give us reason to abolish seabed trawlering once and for all. 

Probably right about the pond weeds bud. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

Not at all- it's got huge potential to capture carbon and boost our economy- Lot's of evidence in scientific and farming papers that we should be farming much more of it to mitigate the effects of climate change. 
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190829124250.htm
 https://www.aquaculturealliance.org/blog/seaweed-aquaculture-benefits/

It can help clean the water as well as sequester the carbon it traps under the seabed. So when you harvest one section of the crop huge amounts of carbon have already been stored elsewhere. Plus you don't pull it up via the roots as you do with trees. So it simply springs back up and carries on working its fucking magic. And to top it all off- it could finally give us reason to abolish seabed trawlering once and for all. 

Probably right about the pond weeds bud. 

I think you're missing my point somewhat. There's so little left, that even with this seeding project being extended all over, it would take a long time to get to adequate levels and harvesting it for cattle feed would sort of defeat the object of using it for carbon capture.

Less beef in the diet unfortunately, and leave the grass to do its thing.

24 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think you're missing my point somewhat. There's so little left, that even with this seeding project being extended all over, it would take a long time to get to adequate levels and harvesting it for cattle feed would sort of defeat the object of using it for carbon capture.

Less beef in the diet unfortunately, and leave the grass to do its thing.

Aye lots less beef for sure. I'd happily have all cattle removed from our farming system as long as the farmers are protected. But I can't see that happening anytime soon- so we should be feeding what we do have on sustainable produce. Not soya from the Amazon. 

We can still leave vast swathes the sea grass whilst farming seaweed. 

It's about farming crops that capture carbon and restore soil and this is an excellent example of such.