Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

Just now, DazBob said:

So, you acknowledge why his team are doing it and acknowledge they're doing it to represent racism in football ...but then go on to say what they're doing is representative of the wider BLM movement? 

I don't get it.  Why can't you just take their word for what they're doing and accept that? 

I take their word for it 

However, I don't believe that the majority of people booing are doing so in order to oppose the players views on ending racism in football. I think they are taking an opportunity to voice the fact that they oppose the wider message of BLM

If all the players care about is supporting anti racism, which is great, then they would likely get more people on board doing it with a slogan than isn’t associated with a much broader movement. Why are they so wedded to one slogan, if they really don’t support the wider movement then it should be straight forward to pick something less divisive. The ‘no room for racism’ slogan would be much better IMO, especially given the slogan covers the broader spectrum of racism rather than a literal support of just 1 group 

37 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Good on em. Need to fight fire with fire, root them out and ban them from grounds.  In the same way that anti-vaxers will not be welcome in pubs next year, these people should not be welcome in sports stadiums.

Wont be welcome In pubs? You’re making stuff up again. You live on another planet or just lie continually. Which is it?

12 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It hasn’t changed the reason why they stopped doing it though. It has been diluted. That remains the case. 

anyway I’ve said I think the gesture is tarnished and I still think that’s the case. Find something else that is new and fresh and isn’t associated with politics. 

oh if that makes me a racist to some then so be it 👍🏼

I don't think you're a racist. I think they should stop doing it too. Just feels like it's being milked now.

I reckon if we'd just put up with it for a few games then the point would have been made (with a crowd in).

The fact that it's being booed might mean it's around for much, much longer as it's now another one of those fucking things where we have to sit on one side or the other!

Just now, royal white said:

To ban you for booing? 

im sure swearing isn’t allowed in the ground but it happens every week. 

Haha, It's what they're booing, as well you know.

Shouting is allowed, but shouting racist stuff isn't. If the club were to deem booing players taking the knee as being racist then out you pop.

2 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I take their word for it 

However, I don't believe that the majority of people booing are doing so in order to oppose the players views on ending racism in football. I think they are taking an opportunity to voice the fact that they oppose the wider message of BLM

If all the players care about is supporting anti racism, which is great, then they would likely get more people on board doing it with a slogan than isn’t associated with a much broader movement. Why are they so wedded to one slogan, if they really don’t support the wider movement then it should be straight forward to pick something less divisive. The ‘no room for racism’ slogan would be much better IMO, especially given the slogan covers the broader spectrum of racism rather than a literal support of just 1 group 

Neither the Premier League nor the EFL currently use BLM as a slogan.

2 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I don't think you're a racist. I think they should stop doing it too. Just feels like it's being milked now.

I reckon if we'd just put up with it for a few games then the point would have been made (with a crowd in).

The fact that it's being booed might mean it's around for much, much longer as it's now another one of those fucking things where we have to sit on one side or the other!

Correct but fans' stupidity has never known no bounds

11 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The EFL don't need to follow suit because the EFL adopted the slogan "Not today or any day", rather than BLM, before the start of the season.

That’s fair enough then, although that seems to have been missed by almost everybody. Most major news outlets are reporting that Millwall fans were disrespecting a BLM protest, not a ‘not today or any day’ protest 

Perhaps the taking the knee bit is associated to BLM for many (the booing fans and national press who have reported that it was a BLM protest) 

If the BLM slogan has been ditched by the PL and EFL and is now truly a more generic kick it out, not today or any day, no room for racism etc then i of course fully support it. Even if they choose to take a knee or raise a fist, it’s the BLM that’s the divisive one for me 

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Wont be welcome In pubs? You’re making stuff up again. You live on another planet or just lie continually. Which is it?

Anti-vaxxers may be barred from pubs and offices: Senior Tory MP (msn.com)

I made an analogy between the two things you muppet.  It has been discussed extensively over the last few weeks and is definitely something that could be implemented, you must have been booing or talking shite as per.  

BLM is a bit like XR. 

It's the same problem most big pressure groups have to wrestle with one day.

Do you keep it hierarchical and maintain control of the message? Or do you open it up to everyone in which case any barmpot can jump on and claim to represent you.

Can't imagine a single person actively booing a simple avowed anti racism message. 

Maybe that's the key. Carry on doing something but completely depoliticise it.

Imagine how good it would be to see full grounds applauding that for ten seconds before kick off. 

When all this kneeling started we had fans on here saying it needs to stop as they are sicking of having this "rammed down their throats".  That's not anything to do with monuments being defaced.

I'd suggest a lot of Millwall and Colchester fans were of the same mind.  Just my opinion of course.

3 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Anti-vaxxers may be barred from pubs and offices: Senior Tory MP (msn.com)

I made an analogy between the two things you muppet.  It has been discussed extensively over the last few weeks and is definitely something that could be implemented, you must have been booing or talking shite as per.  

Nicola sturgeon ruled it out last week up here. NO medical passports. Nobody refused entry to an event because they hadn’t had the vaccine. also she said it wasn’t something that she was aware was being actively considered elsewhere. 

and muppet? 😂😂  Rent free buddy rent free 😘

6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

BLM is a bit like XR. 

Do you keep it hierarchical and maintain control of the message? Or do you open it up to everyone in which case any barmpot can jump on and claim to represent you.

Can't imagine a single person actively booing a simple avowed anti racism message. 

Imagine how good it would be to see full grounds applauding that for ten seconds before kick off. 

I think your right here 

Would have probably helped if the EFL and PL had aligned on their slogan though, why pick 2 different ones god only knows 

Meanwhile the world (myself included) seems to think that they are BLM protests 

If it’s made clear that this is the case then I think you will nip it in the bud overnight. The Colchester chairman should have just said, it’s not a BLM protest, we don’t support BLM. But then again, he may assume that people already knew this 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

That’s fair enough then, although that seems to have been missed by almost everybody. Most major news outlets are reporting that Millwall fans were disrespecting a BLM protest, not a ‘not today or any day’ protest 

Perhaps the taking the knee bit is associated to BLM for many (the booing fans and national press who have reported that it was a BLM protest) 

If the BLM slogan has been ditched by the PL and EFL and is now truly a more generic kick it out, not today or any day, no room for racism etc then i of course fully support it. Even if they choose to take a knee or raise a fist, it’s the BLM that’s the divisive one for me 

welcome aboard

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/11/10/premier-league-distances-black-lives-matter-campaign/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/10/premier-league-drop-black-lives-matter-badge-from-shirts-for-own-campaign

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4178139/premier-league-display-no-room-for-racism-instead-of-black-lives-matter-on-kits

from what I can see here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=millwall+fans+booing&oq=millwall+fans+booing&aqs=chrome.0.0i324i457j0i3l3j0i324j0i3.6539j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

they're all reporting that Millwall fans are booing "bending the knee", not a "BLM protest", there's only SKY that appear to say that (without clicking through and reading each article in full I must add)

I agree though, we need to stop the dissacosiation as it's all been lumped into one

then we need to stop bending the knee and find some more constructive with an end game in mind

Edited by ZicoKelly

18 minutes ago, kent_white said:

BLM is a bit like XR. 

But its an issue that should be de-politised, to do that would be to neuter it. By its very nature its a political issue, and not simple.

Out of interest, I'd be interested why people are so anti-BLM? @birch-chorley said he doesn't agree with it fundementaly - devils advocate - what on here do you not agree with? I probably know but I just thought i'd check https://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

Edited by Not in Crawley

5 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

welcome aboard

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/11/10/premier-league-distances-black-lives-matter-campaign/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/10/premier-league-drop-black-lives-matter-badge-from-shirts-for-own-campaign

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4178139/premier-league-display-no-room-for-racism-instead-of-black-lives-matter-on-kits

from what I can see here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=millwall+fans+booing&oq=millwall+fans+booing&aqs=chrome.0.0i324i457j0i3l3j0i324j0i3.6539j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

they're all reporting that Millwall fans are booing "bending the knee", not a "BLM protest", there's only SKY that appear to say that (without clicking through and reading each article in full I must add)

I agree though, we need to stop the dissacosiation as it's all been lumped into one

then we need to stop bending the knee and find some more constructive with an end game in mind

I actaully think taking the knee has been hugely productive. It creates this, and to face uncomfortable issues for everyone. That is the only way change happens. That isn't just shutting down those who boo, but getting to the point of why, otherwise we don't have this discourse, and its needed.