Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Just looks wrong to me. If someone stops doing something because they no longer believe in that action, the starts again because of a high profile incident it just becomes a bit meh IMO. 

I've just read the statement from Warburton and he says it's something the players want to do.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Just looks wrong to me. If someone stops doing something because they no longer believe in that action, the starts again because of a high profile incident it just becomes a bit meh IMO. 

You asked "Why?" then appear to have ignored the answer.

Sounds like the knee is here to stay then!

Makes me laugh that we now have a situation where fans up and down the country are booing their own players BEFORE the match, if that doesn't sum up 2020...

Edited by jmjhb

2 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I've just read the statement from Warburton and he says it's something the players want to do.

I’m not saying anyone is being forced or they don’t want to do it. Just seems odd to me that they didn’t feel it was worthwhile any longer but cos a few folk boo they decide to do it again. And guess what? Theyre going to boo again and again and again 

I’m not saying anyone is being forced or they don’t want to do it. Just seems odd to me that they didn’t feel it was worthwhile any longer but cos a few folk boo they decide to do it again. And guess what? Theyre going to boo again and again and again 

And the footballers will continue to kneel. The fans won't win this one

Just now, jmjhb said:

And the footballers will continue to kneel. The fans won't win this one

It’s not a competition. If clubs stopped because folk were booing I would’ve been shocked. And dismayed that they are so easily swayed. But likewise just because another clubs fans boo doesn’t mean someone should reverse a decision not to do something. 

if I believe in something I do it. If I don’t I don’t. Simple as that. 

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

Spot on statement from the Colchester United chairman. 

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/december/club-statement/

That's a great response.

If some berks still want to claim they dislike the gesture because of an anti Marxist stance then perhaps they can just shut the f up when it's taking place.

That way we can confirm everyone that boos is a racist clown and they can be banned from attending in future. 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Maybe the players thought the kneeling had run it's course and there was no need for it anymore, but the actions of a few fans around the country at the weekend have forced them to have a rethink.

So ultimately, the boo-ers have made this continue. Good work.

5 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Have you read the Colchester Chairman's statement Cheese posted above?

Aye, I get it, he feels they are only taking the knee in support of a very small piece of what the overall movement represents (racism in football), entirely up to him and his team to decide why they are doing it 

However, many will be taking the opportunity to show their disagreement with the wider movement. It doesn’t mean they support racial abuse against Black Footballers or believe that Black Lives Don’t Matter

Like it or not BLM covers a very broad scope for everyone, you can pick and choose which bits you support, your entitled to, others are equally as entitled to pick and choose which bits they disapprove of and show that disapproval in a peaceful way 

I think you said that the Premier League have already moved away from BLM and onto No Room For Racism, I think that’s an excellent way forward and would be happy for the EFL to follow suit. BLM is just too tainted for me personally to support 

Just now, DazBob said:

Maybe the players thought the kneeling had run it's course and there was no need for it anymore, but the actions of a few fans around the country at the weekend have forced them to have a rethink.

So ultimately, the boo-ers have made this continue. Good work.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/54237179

i believe that was why?  booing hasn’t changed that from what I can see? 

1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

Aye, I get it, he feels they are only taking the knee in support of a very small piece of what the overall movement represents (racism in football), entirely up to him and his team to decide why they are doing it 

However, many will be taking the opportunity to show their disagreement with the wider movement. It doesn’t mean they support racial abuse against Black Footballers or believe that Black Lives Don’t Matter

Like it or not BLM covers a very broad scope for everyone, you can pick and choose which bits you support, your entitled to, others are equally as entitled to pick and choose which bits they disapprove of and show that disapproval in a peaceful way 

I think you said that the Premier League have already moved away from BLM and onto No Room For Racism, I think that’s an excellent way forward and would be happy for the EFL to follow suit. BLM is just too tainted for me personally to support 

So, you acknowledge why his team are doing it and acknowledge they're doing it to represent racism in football ...but then go on to say what they're doing is representative of the wider BLM movement? 

I don't get it.  Why can't you just take their word for what they're doing and accept that? 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It’s not a competition. If clubs stopped because folk were booing I would’ve been shocked. And dismayed that they are so easily swayed. But likewise just because another clubs fans boo doesn’t mean someone should reverse a decision not to do something. 

if I believe in something I do it. If I don’t I don’t. Simple as that. 

is the answer to your original question "why"

"QPR" thought it had ran it's course (I agree with Les)

"QPR" have since seen that there is still work to do, so will do it because they are playing Millwall, where it seems there is still work to do,  myabe they will stop again after that, it's all about the timing, but it's what they've chosen to do and believe in, according to that statement from Warburton

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/54237179

i believe that was why?  booing hasn’t changed that from what I can see? 

So Sir Les has said it had become a bit of an empty gesture.  That's fair enough and I wouldn't argue with a black man's view of it.

... and had fans not booed it at the weekend QPR would've carried on with their choice not to kneel.  They obviously feel very strongly about it and it's their choice to revert back to doing it.

Just for balance, Sir Les said the players should stop kneeling but plenty of other black players have said the opposite.  There's no right or wrong, just their opinions and I respect all of them.

Would be interesting to hear his views on the booing of it.  Hopefully he shares them.

Just now, kent_white said:

Millwall have just made it relevant again

It hasn’t changed the reason why they stopped doing it though. It has been diluted. That remains the case. 

anyway I’ve said I think the gesture is tarnished and I still think that’s the case. Find something else that is new and fresh and isn’t associated with politics. 

oh if that makes me a racist to some then so be it 👍🏼

1 minute ago, DazBob said:

So Sir Les has said it had become a bit of an empty gesture.  That's fair enough and I wouldn't argue with a black man's view of it.

... and had fans not booed it at the weekend QPR would've carried on with their choice not to kneel.  They obviously feel very strongly about it and it's their choice to revert back to doing it.

Just for balance, Sir Les said the players should stop kneeling but plenty of other black players have said the opposite.  There's no right or wrong, just their opinions and I respect all of them.

Would be interesting to hear his views on the booing of it.  Hopefully he shares them.

Agree would be interesting to hear what he had to say. I suspect he will avoid such questioning. 

surely as well the media storm around this is actually worse than just ignoring it? We are giving air time To the people doing it. Just a thought. 

interesting as well I hand t heard a peep about it happening at colchester? Why was that? Why did millwall hit the headlines but with regards to colchester it wasn’t deemed newsworthy? Sensationalism perhaps? 

9 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

The EFL don't need to follow suit because the EFL adopted the slogan "Not today or any day", rather than BLM, before the start of the season.

surely as well the media storm around this is actually worse than just ignoring it? We are giving air time To the people doing it. Just a thought. 

interesting as well I hand t heard a peep about it happening at colchester? Why was that? Why did millwall hit the headlines but with regards to colchester it wasn’t deemed newsworthy? Sensationalism perhaps? 

First paragraph - yes, completely agree.  it's just very true in a lot of aspects of life, unfortunately.  The likes of Katie Hopkins' vile spewings as an example.

Second paragraph - Because it's Millwall and if anyone was going to be among the first to boo it would be them. It also makes for a good, if somewhat predictable headline. Probably.