Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Frank Worthington

TrickyTrotter

Worthington DID play in the 1979/80 season and at number 10.

So technically I'm still right. Nice try numb nuts!!!

By the way I said 1980-ESQUE, the shirt I was referring to was being used from the late 70s to the early 80s until sponsorship came in (Knight Security, B.E.N., T.S.B. etc) 

So jog on, and go and troll somebody else. 

5 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Worthington DID play in the 1979/80 season and at number 10.

So technically I'm still right. Nice try numb nuts!!!

By the way I said 1980-ESQUE, the shirt I was referring to was being used from the late 70s to the early 80s until sponsorship came in (Knight Security, B.E.N., T.S.B. etc) 

So jog on, and go and troll somebody else. 

Feckin hell, it's Johnny Concrete!!!!!

😁

9 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Take me back. 🥲

I actually remember Jim McDonagh conceding that goal even though I was only 7 when I saw it from the Manny Road stand! 

Tape down the middle of the Embankment to provide a buffer between the home half and the away half ... a one season only phenomenon I think.

4 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I actually remember Jim McDonagh conceding that goal even though I was only 7 when I saw it from the Manny Road stand! 

Tape down the middle of the Embankment to provide a buffer between the home half and the away half ... a one season only phenomenon I think.

That was one of the 7 or 8 games I was at that season, I just remember being impressed by the orange Luton kit and the blond Futcher twins. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That was one of the 7 or 8 games I was at that season, I just remember being impressed by the orange Luton kit and the blond Futcher twins. 

Yes I remember that aspect too  - Luton's strip. The 77/78 season was the first I remember properly even though I was being taken before. It was just because we started going in the stand and I could actually see what was happening! If I missed a home game that year they were few and far between. A handful of aways too!

2 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Big match itv 4 yesterday Leicester were on against Ipswich away with Frank scoring a peach of a volley. Every time I catch the program flicking through Leicester seem to be on the program and Frank scores one . They must of been on most weeks with Chelsea 

Sadly very rare you get to see his wonder goal against Ipswich, if that'd been Rashford, Vardy or Kane, the commentators would be creaming their jeans and be shown every day for months. 

Edited by DavidLeesMullet

5 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

What I think puts Frank apart from most strikers was that apart from most of is goals being special was that he scored bags of them . Unlike say a Ian rush or a lineker with there 10 yard tap ins . Closest I would put to him would be Matt le tissier

I seem to remember Marco Gabbiadini could knock a few classics in too, though I don't remember him scoring that many. 

Worthington's strike rate for us was pretty good something like 38 goals in 92 appearences so about 1 in 2 1/2.

3 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Always had a thing for 70s football kits, there were some crackers like Palace's away kit of a white shirt with a red and blue sash.

I remember buying the Norwich Umbro shirt from an advert in Shoot magazine.  Wearing a football kit in those days wasn't taken as allegiance to that club, it was just something impressive to wear for playing footie on the park instead of the usual t-shirts.  The West Ham and Coventry shirts were great too, in fact they all were!

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I remember buying the Norwich Umbro shirt from an advert in Shoot magazine.  Wearing a football kit in those days wasn't taken as allegiance to that club, it was just something impressive to wear for playing footie on the park instead of the usual t-shirts.  The West Ham and Coventry shirts were great too, in fact they all were!

Did Steve Bull score any blinders, he scored a shed load in the lower divisions for Wolves? 

17 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Big match itv 4 yesterday Leicester were on against Ipswich away with Frank scoring a peach of a volley. Every time I catch the program flicking through Leicester seem to be on the program and Frank scores one . They must of been on most weeks with Chelsea 

Big Match series is great viewing, I love the fact that they show "highlights" but still show loads of moves that come to nothing, or goal kicks and the like.  They had to fill about half an hour with the main game and some of them were awful.  If there's a 20 yard shot that pea rolls to the keeper Brian Moore makes it sound like a really exciting near miss!  Its worth watching just for the interviews, some of the players appear to be so disinterested and gormless, no media training in them days.  Ron Futcher the other week in the studio was a classic, just didnt want to be there.

12 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Yea they they had shit chocolate one as well

Remember the Middlesbrough one of red with a white stripe across the middle? This is back in the day of the folically challanged David Armstrong I think.

Re Coventry Away: You can imagine what the opposing fans chanted at them when they wore that one

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Big Match series is great viewing, I love the fact that they show "highlights" but still show loads of moves that come to nothing, or goal kicks and the like.  They had to fill about half an hour with the main game and some of them were awful.  If there's a 20 yard shot that pea rolls to the keeper Brian Moore makes it sound like a really exciting near miss!  Its worth watching just for the interviews, some of the players appear to be so disinterested and gormless, no media training in them days.  Ron Futcher the other week in the studio was a classic, just didnt want to be there.

Well if you catch the Charlie George one this week is interview he is just taking  the piss . Can’t get in the arsenal team and wants a transfer