Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In America

Zico

• Moderators
19 hours ago, royal white said:

No, just like the majority of folk who have a weapon wouldn’t be doing.

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment but I’m sure a teacher with a weapon would have a better chance of shooting someone who’s shooting at kids than a copper who could be miles away. 

the cops shoot enough random folk innocently as it is, and they chose a job where they are meant to be armed and more than likely expect to use it

imagine giving a teacher a gun

sure they'd get training

but fuck me

be accidental deaths all over the show, in addition to when a mass shooter rocks up

There are allegedly around 75M students in the US, if "only" around 500 a year are killed by these gunmen, perhaps that's seen as a low enough number by the Gun Lobby, to be deemed as acceptable enough for them to still be loons?!?!  

If it's an ongoing issue, and lets be honest they're never going to stop idiots getting guns, then perhaps they should spend money making the schools more like prisons - so they're nigh on impossible to break into (and out of).

I remember seeing an interview once with a bloke who said it was his rite to have guns, and he used them for hunting. One of the guns he had, was some sort of assault rifle that could fire several hundred rounds a minute.....fuck knows what he's going hunting with that 😶

9 minutes ago, Sweep said:

There are allegedly around 75M students in the US, if "only" around 500 a year are killed by these gunmen, perhaps that's seen as a low enough number by the Gun Lobby, to be deemed as acceptable enough for them to still be loons?!?!  

If it's an ongoing issue, and lets be honest they're never going to stop idiots getting guns, then perhaps they should spend money making the schools more like prisons - so they're nigh on impossible to break into (and out of).

I remember seeing an interview once with a bloke who said it was his rite to have guns, and he used them for hunting. One of the guns he had, was some sort of assault rifle that could fire several hundred rounds a minute.....fuck knows what he's going hunting with that 😶

Maybe a rookery of penguins?

Get em on the move, reckon you could scatter gun the cunts and do 100 easy.

2 hours ago, royal white said:

It seems some have already started arming themselves and why wouldn’t they 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t blame anyone in a crisis like this for arming themselves if it helps them feel safer. Not sure it does much when someone rocks up with a machine gun wearing a bullet proof vest though. 

Always the Republican argument is to arm yourself to the teeth as a response to gun violence. Absolute nonsense. Trumps solution was thick as pig shit, but that’s to be expected. The solution is banning guns. 

Boycott USA 2026 😂

1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

I don’t blame anyone in a crisis like this for arming themselves if it helps them feel safer. Not sure it does much when someone rocks up with a machine gun wearing a bullet proof vest though. 

Always the Republican argument is to arm yourself to the teeth as a response to gun violence. Absolute nonsense. Trumps solution was thick as pig shit, but that’s to be expected. The solution is banning guns. 

Boycott USA 2026 😂

Ban guns all you want, they’re not going away. 

22 hours ago, royal white said:

Maybe trumps idea of arming teachers wasn’t such a bad one! 

They looked into it in a few places, it seems the insurance was way too expensive, so they dropped the idea.

Also, off those that did it teacher's guns turn up in toilets, they took them off and then forgot to put them back on, they were found by guess who, kids.

13 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

They looked into it in a few places, it seems the insurance was way too expensive, so they dropped the idea.

Also, off those that did it teacher's guns turn up in toilets, they took them off and then forgot to put them back on, they were found by guess who, kids.

Now that's a step up from leaving your laptop on the tube

28 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/31/us/teachers-guns-schools.html

32 minutes ago, royal white said:

Never said there where non, just explained it was looked into and had discarded it and issue's with those that had taken it up, but I suppose leaving a handgun in the toilets or lockeroom to you seems a good idea, me not so much

Texas superintendent resigns after student finds his gun in school bathroom | The Texas Tribune

Every Incident of Mishandled Guns in Schools | Giffords

Edited by tyldesley_white

3 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

Never said there where non, just explained it was looked into and had discarded it and issue's with those that had taken it up, but I suppose leaving a handgun in the toilets or lockeroom to you seems a good idea, me not so much

Texas superintendent resigns after student finds his gun in school bathroom | The Texas Tribune

Where did I say it was a good idea? Obviously that teacher is a bit of a clown, like numerous squaddies and policemen who have left their weapons hanging about. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Still, it's fucking loads.

How are they ever going to take them out of circulation?

They managed in UK following Dunblane. My dad and a few of his mates used to go target shooting using licensed pistols.

My dad had a Browning .22 automatic which had a magazine containing 10 bullets. 

The police officer responsible for firearm licensing just came round with a shit-load of documents outlining the level of compensation he’d receive and took the gun and ammunition away. 

I can’t remember the compensation but it was around half the value at the time.

Imagine all that in USA. I’d guess they have no idea who holds what weapon. It’d need to be done as a voluntary gun amnesty so they’d probably collect a few thousand then Pat their own backs telling the world they listened and have reduced the number of guns on the streets.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

They managed in UK following Dunblane. My dad and a few of his mates used to go target shooting using licensed pistols.

My dad had a Browning .22 automatic which had a magazine containing 10 bullets. 

The police officer responsible for firearm licensing just came round with a shit-load of documents outlining the level of compensation he’d receive and took the gun and ammunition away. 

I can’t remember the compensation but it was around half the value at the time.

Imagine all that in USA. I’d guess they have no idea who holds what weapon. It’d need to be done as a voluntary gun amnesty so they’d probably collect a few thousand then Pat their own backs telling the world they listened and have reduced the number of guns on the streets.

In Houston we are now on our 4th buy back, seems to work at getting

guns, is it helping with gun deaths that is open to debate.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, tyldesley_white said:

In Houston we are now on our 4th buy back, seems to work at getting

guns, is it helping with gun deaths that is open to debate.

Is it open to debate though, really? Ok, the guns handed in aren’t killing kids but for every gun handed back, I’d hate to guess how many aren’t handed back.

• Members
9 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Boycott USA 2026 😂

We don't agree on much but bang on (apart from the last tongue in cheek sentence). Yes, even the Trump thing but we all know he is just playing to a large voting bloc.

No chance of it happening mind. They are all stark raving fucking mad if they can't see the smoking gun.