Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In America

Zico

6 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Trump's lawyers have stated that he won't appear in court wearing handcuffs.

Some folk are saying he's getting special treatment but I imagine it's because they'd only slide off his tiny hands anyway,

I dislike Trump but it does all feel a bit like people trying for their 5 minutes of fame by prosecuting him. 

17 minutes ago, Ani said:

I dislike Trump but it does all feel a bit like people trying for their 5 minutes of fame by prosecuting him. 

I also dislike Trump but moreover I think he's dangerous and a spell in jail would be good for the world, not that he's likely to get one.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Ani said:

He's facing 34 counts of illegal activities...

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Ani said:

Aye.

Perverse system with political "lawyers" elected on a promise to prosecute him.

Works both ways of course, with him rousing crowds up with his chant of "lock her up" aimed at Clinton.

Ultimately though, it's another example of the cultural differences between them and many other "western nations".

23 minutes ago, Ani said:

I will give you some context, its believed that these charges are along the lines of what Michael Cohen (his fixer) got jail time for ( and he was prosecuted by Trumps DOJ), and in realty Trump was the co-defendant, but because he was a sitting president it got put on the back burner until he was not , which is now

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye.

Works both ways of course, with him rousing crowds up with his chant of "lock her up" aimed at Clinton.

Ultimately though, it's another example of the cultural differences between them and many other "western nations".

The DA has no say in if he was indicted, the evidence was shown to  23 of Trumps piers (ie a grand jury) you need at least 12 of those to say yes, and on the show of said evidence they will say yes or no, in this case they said yes 

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

The DA has no say in if he was indicted, the evidence was shown to  23 of Trumps piers (ie a grand jury) you need at least 12 of those to say yes, and on the show of said evidence they will say yes or no, in this case they said yes 

I understand that- but as they were saying on the radio, the jury is taken from an area very, very heavily leaning towards democrats. Given the high profile nature and long running disputes it must be virtually impossible to guarantee a jury that is 100% unbiased, even if they try to be. So much of this previously in the media must have shaped opinions and beliefs already. 

Where the legal system and politics have blurred lines, it's not perfect here, but I'd rather have our system.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I understand that- but as they were saying on the radio, the jury is taken from an area very, very heavily leaning towards democrats. Given the high profile nature and long running disputes it must be virtually impossible to guarantee a jury that is 100% unbiased, even if they try to be. So much of this previously in the media must have shaped opinions and beliefs already. 

Where the legal system and politics have blurred lines, it's not perfect here, but I'd rather have our system.

So they should just let him get away with whatever crimes he wants?

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They can only use people from the place where the crime was committed 

In future, he may want to do all the crime in Alabama

47 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

once it gets past the Grand Jury, it the same as the UK , he will get his day in court where the evidence will be presented to a jury again same as the UK

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

once it gets past the Grand Jury, it the same as the UK , he will get his day in court where the evidence will be presented to a jury again same as the UK

Indeed, but that isn't the point.

You have legal people elected to their role, in this case by promising a prosecution but probably similar cases elsewhere, and then the very same people that elected them sitting on the jury.

That is absolutely riddled with risk.

We do have some issues over here now, with some legal professionals deciding they won't represent certain people, and frankly I reckon they should be disbarred, but it's still better than the USA system.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Indeed, but that isn't the point.

You have legal people elected to their role, in this case by promising a prosecution but probably similar cases elsewhere, and then the very same people that elected them sitting on the jury.

Do you have any evidence of any of this, or are you just making shit up?

2 hours ago, tyldesley_white said:

I will give you some context, its believed that these charges are along the lines of what Michael Cohen (his fixer) got jail time for ( and he was prosecuted by Trumps DOJ), and in realty Trump was the co-defendant, but because he was a sitting president it got put on the back burner until he was not , which is now

I get this but we all know there are so many dodgy deals going on and always have seems opportunistic to target Trump.

Whatever the outcome I bet a number of those involved will be signing book deals before the orange ones make up melts 

• Members
19 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye.

...and a shining light to any fucker who believes that a republic is a better system of government than a constitutional monarchy.

Political appointments to positions of ultimate arbitration is utter madness but, in a country awash with guns, why would we be surprised. This whole current hoo-hah is simply political - nothing more. The lefty bastards want to remove a man who they know commands almost 50% of the vote in a presidential election. This is why they won't let it go.

I do hope he fucks them over one way or another.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

...and a shining light to any fucker who believes that a republic is a better system of government than a constitutional monarchy.

Political appointments to positions of ultimate arbitration is utter madness but, in a country awash with guns, why would we be surprised. This whole current hoo-hah is simply political - nothing more. The lefty bastards want to remove a man who they know commands almost 50% of the vote in a presidential election. This is why they won't let it go.

I do hope he fucks them over one way or another.

I've no time for Trump personally, and he's probably as bad as those coming for him.

Ultimately though that's not the point- as you say the system is utterly perverse.

If ever a case was made for keeping the judiciary and politicians independent, then this is it.

On 02/04/2023 at 13:27, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I've no time for Trump personally, and he's probably as bad as those coming for him.

Ultimately though that's not the point- as you say the system is utterly perverse.

If ever a case was made for keeping the judiciary and politicians independent, then this is it.

Thats what a grand jury does, if they had come back and said no then the DA would have not moved forward. Just the same as the grand jury in Georgia that came back and recommended indictment there too (but again it that case we dont who is involved and what charges if any will be brought