Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

The big problem for most is, had he been sold to Wolves or Everton or some other less fashionable team he wouldn’t be picked. First criteria certainly seems to be who you play for way before how you’re currently playing.

Disagree. 

Southgates picked and started players from most clubs. 

He started Rice & Phillips the last tournament, West Ham & Leeds are hardly world beaters 

• Site Supporter

The players are ok. 

If anything during Southgate’s time, he’s had them playing better than they do for their clubs!

Granted, getting the best out of Foden  and Grealish is something that still needs addressing.

Against the real top opposition we’ve seemed to struggle to impose ourselves - but that’s always been the case in my lifetime!

However there’s good games and  results in the friendlies/uefa nations against Spain and Croatia that spring to mind.

And beating Denmark, Germany, Colombia and Sweden in major tournaments shouldn’t be forgotten.

Yes we aren’t in great form, but a decent performance/result tonight would be a good confidence booster prior to the World Cup.

Any good team (apart from Brazil in the 70s) starts from the back. 

Walker is fast but makes mistake, but good enough at RB. Stones can play but not a top level defender not in best 2 centre halves at his club. Other 2 positions we are weaker, because the back 4 is weak you need 2 Defensive Midfield players or we get over run. 
Up front you have Kane who is IMO a world class number 9 but plays deeper and deeper, still good but not as effective. Sterling is the worlds most frustrating footballer his record is hard to fault as Gonzo points out but if it comes to one crucial moment in a game I always think he will mis control the ball, take on an extra man and then run like a waddling duck. Foden looks brilliant in bits but never dominates a game. Grealish as Foden but does not look brilliant as often. Watching City he plays in very safe 99% of time. 

I just do not think we are that good, add in a manager who is not inspiring it is a shit combination. Bellingham looks very good but if we need 2 DFMs whoever else is in there has a tough job. 

• Members
20 hours ago, L/H White said:

still got our knickers in a twist over a glorified friendly i see?

judge us on the games that actually matter, tournament football

semi & final last 2

most successful side since 66

calm down ffs

the 'golden generation' couldnt get past a 1/4 final

great to see them still taking the knee also

Not biting R. Southgate out.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

So we don’t pick players because there clubs ain’t performing? 

I'm no longer sure of the selection criteria. Has it changed from plays for United,  City,  Liverpool,  Chelsea,  Spurs or Arsenal? 

15 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I'm no longer sure of the selection criteria. Has it changed from plays for United,  City,  Liverpool,  Chelsea,  Spurs or Arsenal? 

It’s all wrong for me

Should be done on merit, Jack grealish (yes a very good player but not hitting the levels) but he’s guaranteed a slot and Phillips Jesus he’s hardly played 

Back from Milan yesterday and just getting ready for the mooch down for tonight. I need it like a 2nd hole in the arse tbh

everyones just bored aren’t they. Getting to the point very quickly where it feels like GS has outstayed his welcome. 

squads are rigid, team selection is poor, tactics are boring and performances are half arsed. Just feels like the players have switched off. Everyone is just completely bored. Sleep walking in to the WC

players like Tomori must be fucking fuming. Called up regularly, Been decent since he went to Milan, playing at his home ground against familiar players then Dier comes in from the cold after a few years and goes straight in front of him. 

no incentive for the players outside his favourite XI 

2 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

So we don’t pick players because there clubs ain’t performing? 

Well hes looked ok in a totally crap team for me.

Calling him is pointless as hes never going to replace anyone in that team and theres already a queue infront of him.