Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Christmas Adverts

bolton_blondie

On 29/11/2021 at 09:38, Not in Crawley said:

The decorations are now up in the NiC household - well, the tree and a few tasteful accoutrements. Smidge early but as we're back in Bolton on the 28th, I want to make the most out of the bloody tree!

This way, I can have it down, at the tip and everything packed up by the 27th.

Year of bad luck - TWELVE days of Christmas you peasant.

Adverts - all involved are bastards.

I rejoice when tuning into the news around the 12th of January when 'retailers are reporting poor sales over the Christmas period' - good, you grasping twats.

My best Christmas? 2008 I think, parents were brown bread, best mate overseas, had sent my siblings to Coventry as they'd been twats for some reason.

Went to Regency Wines Christmas Eve and got two crates of Stella, rang Spice Hut or some other meh takeaway and got about fifty quids' worth of crap, stuck the telly on the least Christmassy channels got blind drunk and resurfaced on Boxing Day.

It was even better than the year I got my 128k+ toast rack Speccy or the year I got a BMX.

I also discovered a dash of water helps immensly when reheating crap takeout pizza in the microwave.

And stick fries on top the pizza when nuking it.

My favourite John Lewis advert was 'Moon Paedo', probably some disgruntled ad agency dreamed that up.

12 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Real tree downstairs, fake tree in one of the kid's bedrooms.

All class, no tinsle in this household, mush.

That's how I've played it in the past.

Obviously the kids have been abducted just for Christmas.

No, I can be an old curmudgeon but I expect it's different with children.

I always bought and dressed the tree Christmas Eve when cohabiting - but I expect that's no dice with children, I think our dad used to buy it about the 16th or so but that's way back when.

I actually do get Christmassy on Christmas Eve I was just being fatuous with the crates of Stella anecdote (although true).

When the dark nights are upon us if folk want to stick their tree up etc. go for it.

Being of a similar vintage I'd bet you were in The Old Three on one or two Christmas Eves way back.

Me and a mate had a tradition of Christmas Eve 'shopping' that would just end up in a pissup there instead - luckily Daubhill was open for business Christmas Day...

To be honest, the kids are getting old enough that they're not bothered about getting the tree up, just the youngest who likes to help out. I'm back in Bolton for new-year so we'll be taking it down on the 27th before we head up. Not coming back having it up. 

Yes, spent many a Xmas eve in the old three. Christmas is great when you are a kid, then it's fucking brilliant when you're 16-mid 20s. 

Then kids and everyone says it's so good. I just stress out and I don't relax until after boxing day. Then I start to enjoy the break.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They missed out the bit where the old cock goes round to thank them the next day and accidentally runs the dog over with his mobility scooter. Shaking with shock they sit him down by their door to have a ciggy to get over it and he inadvertently sets sets fire to a bottle of paint stripper they were using  - and burns the house down. Back at the pub he tries to get over all with a pint and the battery in his scooter goes off, burning the pub to a cinder. "I'm not crying" he says as he sifts through the charred wreckage of wood and bones, with a strange look of satisfaction in his eyes. He's finally shaken off the grief of his wife's death and it's just like the old days before her mysterious chip pan fire (which was mysterious, given that she didn't own a chip pan). As he saunters off clutching a pack of Swan Vestas the video finishes on a quote thus:

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire"

W.B Yeats

16 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Nah, it's just that the song playing was written by Cherry Ghost, who's from Bolton

Simon Aldred Also writes some of Liam Gallager's solo stuff. 

People Help the People, for those who are interested, found fame in this version by Birdy I believe, it did loads better than the original on their debut Thirst for Romance (if you are Boltonian and you haven't got that album, go and buy - although I prefer Beneath the Burning Shoreline)

And this song also won Aldred an Ivor Novello.

6 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Simon Aldred Also writes some of Liam Gallager's solo stuff. 

People Help the People, for those who are interested, found fame in this version by Birdy I believe, it did loads better than the original on their debut Thirst for Romance (if you are Boltonian and you haven't got that album, go and buy - although I prefer Beneath the Burning Shoreline)

And this song also won Aldred an Ivor Novello.

That I didn't know

I actually thought he'd moved on from the music industry altogether