Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Twitter

Spider

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Is that ok?

legally? no idea, probably

morally/ethically or however you want to pitch it? probably

I hope anyone signing up for long intensive hours and their output is exceptional are renumarted acccordingly and not on the same contract as before

I've read before about his aggressive management style

it clearly works for him

but I think it probably works better when he's in charge of a company he founded, like tesla/space x/paypal etc - at least you know what your signing up for

not sure it will work out for him long term at an established company like twitter

but it will be interesting to watch

1 minute ago, Spider said:

Is it?

Don’t know. I guess if people sign up for it, eyes wide open and buy into it, then maybe.

But, for a new owner, it feels a bit harsh. I d be hoping for a bit of carrot as well as the stick. After all, most of the leadership gurus apparently come from America.

That said, having been through a number of takeovers, mergers etc, changing culture is hard. The culture at Twitter is probably a long way from what he sees is needed, so feels a harsh shock is needed?

At what stage does it affect Tesla? 

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

What have I missed? Went on this morning and it's all RIP twitter and accounts I follow moving to other sites.

I love that everyone has gone on Twitter to announce the death of Twitter whilst using twitter

This is why a lot of people shouldn’t be allowed to vote yeknow 

• Site Supporter

Always surprised me that Google haven't started a social media site.

They've got the reach, the name and the cash. And now they could get all the Twitter employees as well.

I've copyrighted the names Gitter, Twoogle and Fuckface before any of you try pinching my idea, right?

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Always surprised me that Google haven't started a social media site.

They've got the reach, the name and the cash. And now they could get all the Twitter employees as well.

I've copyrighted the names Gitter, Twoogle and Fuckface before any of you try pinching my idea, right?

Not Google, it seems

https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/15/major-investor-calls-on-google-owner-to-aggressively-cut-staff-and-pay

On 16/11/2022 at 16:54, Zico said:

legally? no idea, probably

morally/ethically or however you want to pitch it? probably

I hope anyone signing up for long intensive hours and their output is exceptional are renumarted acccordingly and not on the same contract as before

I've read before about his aggressive management style

it clearly works for him

but I think it probably works better when he's in charge of a company he founded, like tesla/space x/paypal etc - at least you know what your signing up for

not sure it will work out for him long term at an established company like twitter

but it will be interesting to watch

He bought Tesla 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Did he? My memory tells me something a bit different, but you might be right.

Sort of. It was founded in 2003, and he became the largest shareholder in 2004 when he made a $6.5M investment, before becoming the CEO in 2008. Which makes his $44BILLION purchase of twitter all the more mind boggling.

4 hours ago, Marc505 said:

What have I missed? Went on this morning and it's all RIP twitter and accounts I follow moving to other sites.

Half the staff have been dismissed and three-quarters of the rest are not staying.

Musk is used to dealing with experts in niche projects with tremendous commitment.

He is expecting the highly marketable software engineers to do the same. They won't.

• Moderators

And Twitter has never had more users

He’s not thick

you sure?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/twitter-lost-users-elon-musks-takeover-where-they-go

Following the billionaire’s purchase of the social media platform, Twitter shed more than 1 million users, according to the MIT Technology Review. 

https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-where-did-tweeters-go-twitter-is-losing-its-most-active-users-internal-2022-10-25/

Exclusive: Twitter is losing its most active users, internal documents show

but yeah:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/7/23445476/elon-musk-twitter-user-growth-all-time-high-advertisers

Twitter tells advertisers that user growth is at ‘all-time highs’ under Elon Musk

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Zico said:

you sure?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/twitter-lost-users-elon-musks-takeover-where-they-go

Following the billionaire’s purchase of the social media platform, Twitter shed more than 1 million users, according to the MIT Technology Review. 

https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-where-did-tweeters-go-twitter-is-losing-its-most-active-users-internal-2022-10-25/

Exclusive: Twitter is losing its most active users, internal documents show

but yeah:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/7/23445476/elon-musk-twitter-user-growth-all-time-high-advertisers

Twitter tells advertisers that user growth is at ‘all-time highs’ under Elon Musk

We’re a lot of bit/spam accounts not shut down?

Cant say I’m arsed either way what happens, I just enjoy watching people using a free app getting their knickers in a twist when the owner does whatever the fuck he wants.

He owes them nothing, if it fails it’s on him.

Anothe one would replace it but I just can’t see it going anywhere. 

• Moderators

We’re a lot of bit/spam accounts not shut down?

Cant say I’m arsed either way what happens, I just enjoy watching people using a free app getting their knickers in a twist when the owner does whatever the fuck he wants.

He owes them nothing, if it fails it’s on him.

Anothe one would replace it but I just can’t see it going anywhere. 

aye, can't say I've noticed much difference other than lots of blue ticks and people moaning about him

otherwise it's as you were

the only way twitter "dies" is when people get bored of arguing with strangers on the internet

4 hours ago, Spider said:

I love that everyone has gone on Twitter to announce the death of Twitter whilst using twitter

This is why a lot of people shouldn’t be allowed to vote yeknow 

We haven’t had any leaving announcements on here for a while.

Didn’t you vote ‘wrong’ ?

Edited by tomski

• Site Supporter

The fact that a lot of famous people, artists and the like are advertising their Instagram and Facebook pages tells you that they are very nervous about losing Twitter. Very. They are dead nowadays without the socials.

Its going nowhere and Musk knows it.

I just love the irony of people going on Twitter to cry foul about Twitter. Thick as fuck.

It’s very similar to all those who said they would leave the U.K. after Brexit/leave America if Trump got in. You could also add them fans that said they wouldn’t watch Wanderers until (enter managers name) had gone. Little hissy fits with threats they knew they wouldn’t go ahead with.