Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

12 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Cheers Paul , a good away win in Wales whatever the circumstances,  I do love the Blue mid eighties away shirts.

Aye. Odd that we didnt just play in white. 

In two of their previous four games they'd won at Swansea and at home to Darlington so in November they were still competitive. 

Back to our Division 4 season in 1987/88. The first Saturday of November arrived with Bolton well and truly in promotion contention - five games unbeaten and a second away win of the campaign chalked up the previous Tuesday at Newport. 

Next up were Orient who had two more points than Bolton, had lost only three of their first 17 games and had tonked Rochdale 8-0 at Brisbane Road a few weeks earlier. 

A top of the table encounter drew the first 5,000+ attendance of the season to Burnden and the vast majority did not leave disappointed with a close fought encounter settled by a second half goal from John Thomas. Finesse was not its hallmark ... a booming Dave Felgate goalkick was twice headed on to Thomas who volleyed in to the corner of the Lever End goal. The ball doesn't touch the ground from Felgates hands until it has hit the back of the net.

In the 1980s and 1990s Orient/Leyton Orient always seemed to come to Burnden for a point, get to the second half at 0-0 only to concede and lose by the only goal of the game. This was a prime example. They went on to contend for promotion well in to Spring before falling away and finishing 8th - a place and a point behind a play off berth. 

9 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Back to our Division 4 season in 1987/88. The first Saturday of November arrived with Bolton well and truly in promotion contention - five games unbeaten and a second away win of the campaign chalked up the previous Tuesday at Newport. 

Next up were Orient who had two more points than Bolton, had lost only three of their first 17 games and had tonked Rochdale 8-0 at Brisbane Road a few weeks earlier. 

A top of the table encounter drew the first 5,000+ attendance of the season to Burnden and the vast majority did not leave disappointed with a close fought encounter settled by a second half goal from John Thomas. Finesse was not its hallmark ... a booming Dave Felgate goalkick was twice headed on to Thomas who volleyed in to the corner of the Lever End goal. The ball doesn't touch the ground from Felgates hands until it has hit the back of the net.

In the 1980s and 1990s Orient/Leyton Orient always seemed to come to Burnden for a point, get to the second half at 0-0 only to concede and lose by the only goal of the game. This was a prime example. They went on to contend for promotion well in to Spring before falling away and finishing 8th - a place and a point behind a play off berth. 

Cheers Paul , a great poachers finish from J.T , and another good win including another Clean Sheet.

12 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Cheers Paul , a great poachers finish from J.T , and another good win including another Clean Sheet.

All true ... but then we have another dizzy spell during later November. 🙂 

I wanted to post longer highlights from this game and I've not had time.

4 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

All true ... but then we have another dizzy spell during later November. 🙂 

I wanted to post longer highlights from this game and I've not had time.

I appreciate any kind of footage , it's all stuff I didn't think I'd see on film.

Regarding Dizzy spells it wouldn't be us if we didn't have a few of them every season.

1 minute ago, dusan nikolic said:

I appreciate any kind of footage , it's all stuff I didn't think I'd see on film.

Regarding Dizzy spells it wouldn't be us if we didn't have a few of them every season.

Well there's deffo one coming up! I think its one draw and three defeats - but with a couple of cup wins chucked in. I'm not going to post the 2-0 defeat at Tranmere on the grounds of why would we give those wankers something to reminisce about. There's a 2-1 league defeat at Burnley and a 0-1 cup win at Turf Moor the week before. I'll put those up. More respect for the dingles than the bindippers!

3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Well there's deffo one coming up! I think its one draw and three defeats - but with a couple of cup wins chucked in. I'm not going to post the 2-0 defeat at Tranmere on the grounds of why would we give those wankers something to reminisce about. There's a 2-1 league defeat at Burnley and a 0-1 cup win at Turf Moor the week before. I'll put those up. More respect for the dingles than the bindippers!

No arguments from me , I've made my feelings on the bindippers clear on a previous thread. I Look forward to the next installment. 

Edited by dusan nikolic

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Always used to be a whole month to look back on and wonder how the hell <insert team name> managed to beat us. Especially irksome with home games.

5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Always used to be a whole month to look back on and wonder how the hell <insert team name> managed to beat us. Especially irksome with home games.

The season we lost to the bindippers in 91 , we dropped some stupid points  over the last quarter of the season , and still only missed out on goal difference,  that was really frustrating looking back on it.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

The season we lost to the bindippers in 91 , we dropped some stupid points  over the last quarter of the season , and still only missed out on goal difference,  that was really frustrating looking back on it.

Was that the one season they changed to goal average instead of goal difference?

9 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Was that the one season they changed to goal average instead of goal difference?

I think that was a few years before. At some point around this time there was a change to goals scored. 

Whichever one it was in 90/91 Grimsby saw us off with it and we ended up in the play offs v Bury and Tranmere. 

Still ... if we'd gone up under Neal we'd have been straight back down again. Better to wait two years and to the job properly under Rioch.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

I think that was a few years before. At some point around this time there was a change to goals scored. 

Whichever one it was in 90/91 Grimsby saw us off with it and we ended up in the play offs v Bury and Tranmere. 

Still ... if we'd gone up under Neal we'd have been straight back down again. Better to wait two years and to the job properly under Rioch.

That's true , it certainly felt raw at the time though.

The Goal Difference favoured Grimsby all ways.

Grimsby  For 66 Against 34 G/D +32

Bolton  For 64  Against 50  G/D +14

1 hour ago, dusan nikolic said:

That's true , it certainly felt raw at the time though.

The Goal Difference favoured Grimsby all ways.

Grimsby  For 66 Against 34 G/D +32

Bolton  For 64  Against 50  G/D +14

It certainly did. Took a season to get through the hangover of all that as well!

4 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

What was Mickey Brown like , I think we signed him  from Shrewsbury at the same time.

I barely have any memory of him. Maybe one half decent game in a 3-0 home win over WBA. Just didn't seem to settle at the club and was gone pretty quickly. 

16 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I barely have any memory of him. Maybe one half decent game in a 3-0 home win over WBA. Just didn't seem to settle at the club and was gone pretty quickly. 

That was his best moments in a Wanderers shirt for sure.  He had a good game, and grabbed a goal at Gigg Lane the same year but it was all pretty much of a muchness.   He was Neal's signing and Bruce obviously didnt rate him.

1 minute ago, Duck Egg said:

That was his best moments in a Wanderers shirt for sure.  He had a good game, and grabbed a goal at Gigg Lane the same year but it was all pretty much of a muchness.   He was Neal's signing and Bruce obviously didnt rate him.

If I remember rightly that Bury game we were 0-1 up and they were down to ten men ... yet still managed to equalise!

28 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I think he lasted a season or so , I remember being surprised to see a small snippet about the double? Transfer in the Sun Paper , I don't think Neal made too many duff signings in the Latter years of his reign.

1 minute ago, dusan nikolic said:

I think he lasted a season or so , I remember being surprised to see a small snippet about the double? Transfer in the Sun Paper , I don't think Neal made too many duff signings in the Latter years of his reign.

There were a few odd loan signings in his last few months. Chic Charnley, Ally Maxwell etc. It was a pretty dispiriting time.

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

There were a few odd loan signings in his last few months. Chic Charnley, Ally Maxwell etc. It was a pretty dispiriting 

Yep , a couple of strange ones mind you I'll forgive him for Andy Walker . Did we get Andy Dibble on loan that season , and if so did we ever stand a chance of getting him permanently.