Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burton Albion (A)

burnden

1 hour ago, desperado said:

See, I have real issue with this line of thinking. Because the truth of the issue, IMO, is that under the circumstances, if we did loose it would  be a “game too far, fatigue” etc etc.

It wouldn’t be an excuse, spiel, modern day made up bollocks.

I don’t give a shit about anyone else - I’m just looking at our circumstances, 6 games in 17 days, Wembley, trains/planes/automobiles, lack of time training, injuries, having to change the way we play, playing players out of position, players on international duty,  a player nearly given a prison sentence, trauma with the club (Chefs daughter) ….. . It’s not one of those things, it’s cumulatively all of them and more. Plus we are going to a ground where we have a terrible record. We are living on the edge at the minute.

I’m amazed that they have been able to pick up the points we have since Wembley under the circumstances. They’ve done amazing.

And to suggest that we would “roll over” is disrespectful to the manager and players.

Unlike Cambridge, I don’t think Evatt has the resources at hand to experiment/rest/rotate, it could very well be the same side against Oxford. Anyone who was there on Saturday would know that result came about through hard work, determination, self-belief, passion and physical/mental strength.

This isn’t a game of FIFA, you can’t just press those buttons again to see them translate into a performance/result 2 days later.

Regardless of todays performance/result, I think over the next couple of weeks, they will get bodies back, they’ll be able to get some quality time on the training pitch with 3 home games pending and will be able to rest and rotate, getting back to something like we were prior to Plymouth.

I’m going. I think as always they’ll put a great effort in. We could very well loose, I think we can scrape a draw. But I’d hate to miss out if we finally win there and see us claim the 3 points which would set us up very nicely to confirm our place in the Play-Offs

COYFWM 👏

Normally I'd have some sympathy with that perspective at the end of a busy season but we had an extended break in which to completely recharge and reset before Wembley on the 2nd.

I recognise the busier schedule since is a little challenging, even for professional athletes of their ages but if they weren't playing or travelling they'd be training anyway so the additional load is marginal - and those that haven't featured in every game have actually had it easier than usual - normally they'd be training more.

9 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Normally I'd have some sympathy with that perspective at the end of a busy season but we had an extended break in which to completely recharge and reset before Wembley on the 2nd.

I recognise the busier schedule since is a little challenging, even for professional athletes of their ages but if they weren't playing or travelling they'd be training anyway so the additional load is marginal - and those that haven't featured in every game have actually had it easier than usual - normally they'd be training more.

I think there's probably a fairly big difference in intensity between training and matches

5 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think there's probably a fairly big difference in intensity between training and matches

1. there shouldn't be if we're preparing properly - remember "murder ball"?

2. half the squad don't even play in the matches and every week 5 of those that start don't play the full 90

3. Burton have played the same number of matches as we have in April.

1 hour ago, perth_white said:

Absolutely 

Seconded, very well put Desperado, couldn’t be summed up better. Arguably the toughest game left but the resolution the boys are showing at the moment despite all the headwinds is incredible. Even if we do lose tonight, the others may also do so a point tonight would be a tremendous result with 3 very winnable home games to come.

9 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

1. there shouldn't be if we're preparing properly - remember "murder ball"?

2. half the squad don't even play in the matches and every week 5 of those that start don't play the full 90

3. Burton have played the same number of matches as we have in April.

Come on Lusty, Burton don’t have the injuries we do and players like Johnson, Williams, Sheehan and Thomason have only just come back from longish term injuries. Losing your captain and key defenders on top of that just adds to the problem. Tonight’s going to be a toughie but we should also remember as you say, that we have better players and hopefully we’ll show that tonight by getting something out of the game. I do fear for us with their aerial threat but I’m confident the boys will stand strong and give everything for the cause. 😉

4 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Come on Lusty, Burton don’t have the injuries we do and players like Johnson, Williams, Sheehan and Thomason have only just come back from longish term injuries. Losing your captain and key defenders on top of that just adds to the problem. Tonight’s going to be a toughie but we should also remember as you say, that we have better players and hopefully we’ll show that tonight by getting something out of the game. I do fear for us with their aerial threat but I’m confident the boys will stand strong and give everything for the cause. 😉

We were discussing physical tiredness not player availability or player quality White.

I agree we don't have a full squad - whilst Burton are getting back to having a full squad with Sam Winnall and Bobby Kamwa possibly making their bench tonight - and I agree their style of football will be very challenging but...IMO the game will be won or lost on whether or not we play well enough to impose our game on theirs - not "tiredness".

If we can zip the ball around quickly - and more importantly, accurately as we did at Wembley - we'll cut them open, but if we give it away cheaply we'll just be asking for trouble.

We just have to play well, simple as.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, desperado said:

I’d like to see that. A midfield 4 behind Charles 

Morley  Sheehan  Dempsey Thomason 

Charles 

Or it could be Shoretire or kachunga in the CAM role behind Charles. 

I think it’s a good option to have/use, but I do think he’ll go with either Vic or Dan with Charles which I’d understand. 

That one will do.

Allow Dempsey to do the Lee- style attacking runs from midfield.

Strengthens the defensive aspect of the game on the left too.

1 minute ago, Wanderlust said:

We were discussing physical tiredness not player availability or player quality White.

I agree we don't have a full squad - whilst Burton are getting back to having a full squad with Sam Winnall and Bobby Kamwa possibly making their bench tonight - and I agree their style of football will be very challenging but...IMO the game will be won or lost on whether or not we play well enough to impose our game on theirs - not "tiredness".

If we can zip the ball around quickly - and more importantly, accurately as we did at Wembley - we'll cut them open, but if we give it away cheaply we'll just be asking for trouble.

We just have to play well, simple as.

This 👍

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It is. Easier said than done I suppose.

True. It's a battle of styles - but as the old cliche goes "we have to win the right to play our way" so midfield will be a war zone. When we do get the ball we really need to get it down and play well because we're fooked if we end up hoofing it - bread and butter for Burton that.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

normally they'd be training more.

You do know that “training” is so much more than running them up Rivvy and murder ball don’t you?

I suspect personal fitness plans, mental prep, game analysis, focussed recovery and light tactical work, are all just (if not more) as important as the “physical” intense training sessions.

All of which they’ll have had little time for recently. And all of which they’ll be able to do with home comforts over the next 3 weeks. 

Edited by desperado

37 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

True. It's a battle of styles - but as the old cliche goes "we have to win the right to play our way" so midfield will be a war zone. When we do get the ball we really need to get it down and play well because we're fooked if we end up hoofing it - bread and butter for Burton that.

Sorry Lusty, I was previously talking about tiredness with the players just back from injury and not being fully match fit, anyway I agree it’s going to be a battle of styles tonight. If we play our own game and attack them then I think we can win but it’s certainly going to be one tough ask at the back and however stalwart we are on blocks and tackles if the other team are bigger and stronger in the air and they’re constantly launching it in as we know they will it may still not be enough for us.

To be fair though I’m getting less and less concerned about Derby. I listened to Warnes pre match interview and he sounded really down and it appears not all the players are happy bunny’s and he eluded to having to make serious changes in character more than ability in the summer. Also he considered a draw tonight a good result, which it may be at Exeter but in their position they need to be going for wins not draws as they’re the ones doing the chasing now. So even if we do lose tonight there could be a silver lining if The Rams do too?

11 minutes ago, desperado said:

You do know that “training” is so much more than running them up and Rivvy and murder ball don’t you?

I suspect personal fitness plans, mental prep, game analysis, focussed recovery and light tactical work, are all just (if not more) as important as the “physical” intense training sessions.

All of which they’ll have had little time for recently. And all of which they’ll be able to do with home comforts over the next 3 weeks. 

Yes they'll have more time for that stuff once things settle down. I just think it would be a shame if they're too exhausted to perform tonight because they missed their regular table tennis and gender identity reconfirmation sessions with the club sports psychologist :)

I'll mention that to the missus next time my performance isn't up to scratch :)

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Wanderlust said:

Yes they'll have more time for that stuff once things settle down. I just think it would be a shame if they're too exhausted to perform tonight because they missed their regular table tennis and gender identity reconfirmation sessions with the club sports psychologist :)

I'll mention that to the missus next time my performance isn't up to scratch :)

That’s the modern player.

Thats why all those methods, comforts, processes are used - they are geared towards performance.

Some geriatrics, like Allardyce (and most modern day managers) changed the way they managed and embraced this modern thinking to good effect ….

Others are still stuck in decades gone by…..

• Site Supporter
Just now, desperado said:

That’s the modern player.

Thats why all those methods, comforts, processes are used - they are geared towards performance.

Some geriatrics, like Allardyce (and most modern day managers) changed the way they managed and embraced this modern thinking to good effect ….

Others are still stuck in decades gone by…..

Indeed.

I've said elsewhere, that I wondered if the coaching staff were actually still over-training some of ours given the number of injuries.

Must be a fine line.

23 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

Please for the love of god, can we just ensure that this smarmy prick doesn't end up taking this piss out of us again ?!

I felt at a particular low point, when we were 3 0 down inside 18 minutes, away on a rainy Tuesday night at Burton and all I could see was this prick taunting us after every bit of play.

Lofty would batter him .

Screenshot_20230417-122902.jpg

Looks a proper wifebeater. Apparently his missus, Betty, hasn't been seen since last season..

Betty Brewer during the EFL Sky Bet League 1 match between Burton Albion and Tranmere Rovers at the Pirelli Stadium, Burton upon Trent

...just sayin'.....

6 hours ago, desperado said:

See, I have real issue with this line of thinking. Because the truth of the issue, IMO, is that under the circumstances, if we did loose it would  be a “game too far, fatigue” etc etc.

It wouldn’t be an excuse, spiel, modern day made up bollocks.

I don’t give a shit about anyone else - I’m just looking at our circumstances, 6 games in 17 days, Wembley, trains/planes/automobiles, lack of time training, injuries, having to change the way we play, playing players out of position, players on international duty,  a player nearly given a prison sentence, trauma with the club (Chefs daughter) ….. . It’s not one of those things, it’s cumulatively all of them and more. Plus we are going to a ground where we have a terrible record. We are living on the edge at the minute.

I’m amazed that they have been able to pick up the points we have since Wembley under the circumstances. They’ve done amazing.

And to suggest that we would “roll over” is disrespectful to the manager and players.

Unlike Cambridge, I don’t think Evatt has the resources at hand to experiment/rest/rotate, it could very well be the same side against Oxford. Anyone who was there on Saturday would know that result came about through hard work, determination, self-belief, passion and physical/mental strength.

This isn’t a game of FIFA, you can’t just press those buttons again to see them translate into a performance/result 2 days later.

Regardless of todays performance/result, I think over the next couple of weeks, they will get bodies back, they’ll be able to get some quality time on the training pitch with 3 home games pending and will be able to rest and rotate, getting back to something like we were prior to Plymouth.

I’m going. I think as always they’ll put a great effort in. We could very well loose, I think we can scrape a draw. But I’d hate to miss out if we finally win there and see us claim the 3 points which would set us up very nicely to confirm our place in the Play-Offs

COYFWM 👏

This  👍