Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In Dublin

gonzo

30 minutes ago, Zico said:

Got no problem with religion if that's the way of life folk choose for themselves 

Or have imposed on them  

It's a blueprint for a good life of being nice to each other and is more comforting than the cold reality of life the universe and everything

But killing in the name of, that's mental

Aye, that's why St Aquinas developed the Just War theory.

48 minutes ago, gonzo said:

If it gives them hope then fair enough. I often like to think my Mum is up there somewhere.

But in reality it doesnt stop it being one big pile of bollocks.

We've got science nowadays. We can litterally see the beginning of our creation with our own eyes.

We can trace every single step of our evolution. And the species that existed and failed on our planet before us.

Science trumps the lot I'm afraid, not matter how much people want a god or spirit looking after us or however much I want my Mum to be floating in the clouds.

Science wins.

I think for a lot of folk religion just gives them routine and a sense of community/social life etc. 

Us bible bashers at Canon Slade had to go at junior age and I never minded it that much. Would go to the early service before footy.

I still get quite nostalgic when I'm in a church, often when abroad for some reason. 

I bloody love science, but there is still so much that is unanswered. People are still drawn to religion despite us knowing everything we do about our creation. And when you get down to it, with everything we've discovered, we're still asking the same questions the cavemen were. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

I still get quite nostalgic when I'm in a church, often when abroad for some reason.

Me too. Always call in when I go somewhere. It's very peaceful.

20 odd years ago getting out of Culcheth was a right bastard sometimes, and one evening I must have been really pissed off I called in the Methodist chapel near the George pub and had a quiet 10 minutes. A lady made me a brew and didn't mither me after. It was great and I left a fiver in the collection plate.

I didn't even  nick the tea cup.

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

Me too. Always call in when I go somewhere. It's very peaceful.

20 odd years ago getting out of Culcheth was a right bastard sometimes, and one evening I must have been really pissed off I called in the Methodist chapel near the George pub and had a quiet 10 minutes. A lady made me a brew and didn't mither me after. It was great and I left a fiver in the collection plate.

I didn't even  nick the tea cup.

Good story.

Like visiting catherdrals and old churches; they're very peaceful and atmospheric. 

Sadly, it's the rank hypocrisy of some of the worshipers that spoils it.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Good story.

Like visiting catherdrals and old churches; they're very peaceful and atmospheric. 

Sadly, it's the rank hypocrisy of some of the worshipers that spoils it.

Churches etc. and places of worship are in general friendly peaceful places. It's religion that fucks it up. Just leave them all to the WI and such like so that (mostly) ladies can make a brew for folk and then not mither them about why they had come in at all, or where they came from or anything.

Both 'Mrs. Warboys' and I had a better half hour in the chapel than we would have done over the road in the George.

• Site Supporter

Religion is fine; each to their own and all that.

Try asking a religious person what they think of those poor children in the woods, Hansel and Gretel. The child who was only the size of an adult’s thumb. Or the poor girl who was orphaned to her evil step mother  and eventually married the prince once he’d found her glass slipper.

They might even point out to you that these are merely tales from a book of children’s stories.

Then raise an eyebrow towards them and ask how a story from Charles Perrault, Hans Christian Andersen or The Brothers Grimm, although written down in a book without further evidence of truth can be dismissed as ‘just stories’ yet anything written in a bible; basically another story book, is accepted unquestionably as the truth. 

5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Religion is fine; each to their own and all that.

Try asking a religious person what they think of those poor children in the woods, Hansel and Gretel. The child who was only the size of an adult’s thumb. Or the poor girl who was orphaned to her evil step mother  and eventually married the prince once he’d found her glass slipper.

They might even point out to you that these are merely tales from a book of children’s stories.

Then raise an eyebrow towards them and ask how a story from Charles Perrault, Hans Christian Andersen or The Brothers Grimm, although written down in a book without further evidence of truth can be dismissed as ‘just stories’ yet anything written in a bible; basically another story book, is accepted unquestionably as the truth. 

Its not though, that's why its called a faith, and not a truth....

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Its not though, that's why its called a faith, and not a truth....

I think you'll find those with faith consider their holy book, whether it be Bible, Torrah, Q'ran or any other, as the truth.

• Site Supporter
Just now, MickyD said:

I think you'll find those with faith consider their holy book, whether it be Bible, Torrah, Q'ran or any other, as the truth.

Only the gospels are considered the truth. 

The bible contains things known to be made up stories, even to the most ardent followers.

• Members
4 minutes ago, fatolive said:

The bible contains things known to be made up stories, even to the most ardent followers.

You mean Noah didn't build a massive ark and put loads of animals in it, and people only ever thought he did?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Even God and heaven? 

Pretty sure most ardent followers believe they are going there and that God exists

Particularly those who kill for their religion

• Moderators
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If other religions have other truths though, then what does that say about them?

Quite 

Which is why there's been loads of wars over it with folk fighting for their truth/faith 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Zico said:

Even God and heaven? 

Pretty sure most ardent followers believe they are going there and that God exists

Particularly those who kill for their religion

Yes but that’s in the Gospels that’s why it’s believed 
some chose to believe other parts or their interpretation of other scriptures but that gets all theological and can’t be arsed with that , just pointing out that some stories are known to be made up 

Edited by fatolive

• Members
11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If other religions have other truths though, then what does that say about them?

Perhaps they originated by "leaders" as a means of keeping social order- using a higher power

Such leaders having differing views on what social order should look like.

That's pretty much how the Greek gods worked

They didn't have the science to explain how say thunder storms or floods happened

Easy thing to say was someone pissed Poisedon off, tell people not to do it or make a gift at the temple, to the very people telling you that Poseidon is pissed off

If it happens again, repeat above