Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Where will we finish

Eddie

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Perhaps in part due to fatigue?

It affect both physical and mental aspects. 

Plus Barnsley nullified us and deserve credit for that.

FATIGUE 

4 off the players Wives/Girlfriends 

are Pregent or have just had Baby's 

and DC has just had Two kids 

to much Shgging going on

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

I don't see any of them being Championship standard which is what we'd need if promoted - and that's the problem.

We'd need serious investment in the squad if we go up, so at this stage we have a choice - either invest in that quality now to try to ensure we get over the line (which carries the risk of having a higher wage bill next season in the L1 if we don't) OR back the current lot to get us over the line - which could be supplemented with loans - and then have a complete rethink in summer.

For me the obvious route is to try to get top quality loanees in - possibly from the Bundesliga or other European league - and pay what's needed. That way our risk is mitigated and time bound - and to me that seems more like the FV way of doing things. I'd be trawling through the European leagues or even further afield right now if I was them.

Another option is to see if a trial deal can be done for an out of contract player who wants to get themselves back in the shop window - and there's lots of them including Diego Costa, that knob Lingard and a bunch of Brazilian forwards...

Sorry Lusty, I just don’t buy this “our players aren’t good enough for the Championship,” stuff. How do we know they’ll struggle, that’s just your opinion but players often improve when the competition improves and most of our players are young enough to do that. I remember Wilder taking Sheffield United up and pretty much keeping the same squad then getting promoted again into the PL. His signings then didn’t work and they struggled so since I believe the squad we currently have is better than theirs was when they were in L1 I’m confident that with a couple of additions we’d hold our own. After that it’s down to cash to push on and that’s my worry but let’s get there first. 😉

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Sorry Lusty, I just don’t buy this “our players aren’t good enough for the Championship,” stuff. How do we know they’ll struggle, that’s just your opinion but players often improve when the competition improves and most of our players are young enough to do that. I remember Wilder taking Sheffield United up and pretty much keeping the same squad then getting promoted again into the PL. His signings then didn’t work and they struggled so since I believe the squad we currently have is better than theirs was when they were in L1 I’m confident that with a couple of additions we’d hold our own. After that it’s down to cash to push on and that’s my worry but let’s get there first. 😉

Spot on - it is just my opinion.

As for Wilder - that's what you get if you splash out on a Championship quality team whilst still in League 1 - just as Ipswich did last season.

Edited by Wanderlust

4 hours ago, Ratwhite said:

This is where I'm at.

Peterborough are the main threat for top two. I think Pompey will fade. 

We have to aim for top spot. Whilst we still have to play a lot of the half, so do others in the top half. Points will be dropped by everyone.

Charles staying/ leaving is a big factor. If he goes, we should dip in for one 9f Peterboroughs three strikers. 

I was thinking Peterboro might drop off if they sell a couple of key players, but if I'm reading the fixtures right, they only have one team to play away out of the top 8 (Oxford) and none before April.  So I can see them going on a good run all other things being equal.  Us and Barnsley each have to play 5 of the other 7 away (plus Wigan).

Derby only have 2 aways against top 8 left so its hard to see them dropping off much with kinder fixtures.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I was thinking Peterboro might drop off if they sell a couple of key players, but if I'm reading the fixtures right, they only have one team to play away out of the top 8 (Oxford) and none before April.  So I can see them going on a good run all other things being equal.  Us and Barnsley each have to play 5 of the other 7 away (plus Wigan).

Derby only have 2 aways against top 8 left so its hard to see them dropping off much with kinder fixtures.

They have difficult homes though!

Barnsley and Derby have better away records iirc.

12 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They have difficult homes though!

Barnsley and Derby have better away records iirc.

Yes that's true, Barnsley have a strangely poor home record, 15th in the division (18 pts compared to 25 away).  And Derby only 8th or 9th (21 pts home, 25 away). 

All the top 7 in the table are in the top 7 for away games, as you'd expect.  But at home only us, Pompey, Posh and Oxford are in the top 8.

Puts a different slant on expectations for some aways - looks like Barnsley at home is tougher than away games at Barnsley and Derby for starters!

53 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes that's true, Barnsley have a strangely poor home record, 15th in the division (18 pts compared to 25 away).  And Derby only 8th or 9th (21 pts home, 25 away). 

All the top 7 in the table are in the top 7 for away games, as you'd expect.  But at home only us, Pompey, Posh and Oxford are in the top 8.

Puts a different slant on expectations for some aways - looks like Barnsley at home is tougher than away games at Barnsley and Derby for starters!

We always lose at Derby though

Or at best get a draw

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Got to change sometime!

This young player of their's who is stalling on his contract- is he of particular importance to them?

I'll ask my Derby supporting friend (a decent handful)

Cashin, appropriately named, is the one they rate 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

I'll ask my Derby supporting friend (a decent handful)

Cashin, appropriately named, is the one they rate 

Excellent. 

Once on a walk with the family whilst on holiday- arrived at a water fall where a couple of west Brom fans were taking pictures.

She was absolutely gorgeous, with a very decent handful. 

Always stuck in my mind.

• Site Supporter
On 04/01/2024 at 07:26, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Would Peterborough really sell to the team that are jostling with them for promotion?

They're in same boat as us surely. Every player as a price......

46 minutes ago, Ratwhite said:

They're in same boat as us surely. Every player as a price......

I’ve only just come across their chairman (owner?) on Twitter but he’s already confirmed to some fan asking him a question that he’d sell Clarke-Harris to anyone if the price is right.

I always find it to be a massive red flag when owners / chairmen of football clubs are on twitter and engaging with fans. On one hand it shows a bit of transparency but football fans in the main are an irrational bunch and engaging with them on such a regular and informal basis rarely ends well.

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve only just come across their chairman (owner?) on Twitter but he’s already confirmed to some fan asking him a question that he’d sell Clarke-Harris to anyone if the price is right.

I always find it to be a massive red flag when owners / chairmen of football clubs are on twitter and engaging with fans. On one hand it shows a bit of transparency but football fans in the main are an irrational bunch and engaging with them on such a regular and informal basis rarely ends well.

💯

Depends on our away form, especially as we still have to go to Derby, Peterborough, Barnsley, Stevenage and Blackpool.

Was surprised to see we only won 9 games away from home last season, we've picked up 7 wins away already this season, especially considering we've had a couple missed due to internationals.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

Depends on our away form, especially as we still have to go to Derby, Peterborough, Barnsley, Stevenage and Blackpool.

Was surprised to see we only won 9 games away from home last season, we've picked up 7 wins away already this season, especially considering we've had a couple missed due to internationals.

Those fairly small improvements have brought about a fairly significant change.

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

The key this season is we appear mentally stronger.

Thats got to be down to IE. 

Goals conceded column is unbelievable. 

It was better last season though? Conceded exactly 1 a game currently (24), only 36 in 46 games last year.

At home we've conceded 17 compared to 13 in whole of last season.

But yes, away from home a different story, conceded 7 in 11 games compared to 23 in 23 last year. 

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It was better last season though? Conceded exactly 1 a game currently (24), only 36 in 46 games last year.

At home we've conceded 17 compared to 13 in whole of last season.

But yes, away from home a different story, conceded 7 in 11 games compared to 23 in 23 last year. 

Goals scored much higher though, presumably? And ultimately worth more in the league table in that sense. 

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That Wigan game has a lot to answer for! :)

Yes 7 of our 17 home goals conceded were v Wigan and Carlisle.

Never conceded 4 last season but we did concede 6 to Oxford and Shrewsbury in fairly quick succession.

3 minutes ago, Greg_BWFC said:

And Carlisle 🙄. That's 7 in 2 games.

Away form is the stuff of promotion.

Not to disagree...but its the home form that's better than everyone else!

Sorry to be statto but we average 2.15 pts at home, the next best are Peterboro, Pompey & Blackpool with 2.07.   Away we average the same as Pompey, Derby and Barnsley (2.1) and its generally accepted we've had the "easier" away games to date, the other 3 can definitely lay claim to having promotion winning away form.  Just not necessarily home form to go with it!