Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Our longest runs

wakey

37 minutes ago, tomski said:

Bradford park Avenue?

Good guess, but we've never managed better than back to back wins.

Surprisingly (to me anyway)we lost our last 3 on the bounce against these and 6 of our last 8. Good job they disbanded - current club was founded years after the original lot went.

2 minutes ago, wakey said:

Good guess, but we've never managed better than back to back wins.

Surprisingly (to me anyway)we lost our last 3 on the bounce against these and 6 of our last 8. Good job they disbanded - current club was founded years after the original lot went.

Haha good this. Went off your clues and was either them or Darwen but I assumed they disappeared earlier than 1911

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Birmingham. 

Another good call - one of longest runs is against these - but not an overall winning run. 

Best we've managed was 5 in the late 1950s - early 1960.

Just now, tomski said:

Haha good this. Went off your clues and was either them or Darwen but I assumed they disappeared earlier than 1911

Not Darwen either, but another good guess. Think you might get them yet, but it's still a tough one.

2 hours ago, ZiggyStardust said:

only other team from that era i can think of is Glossop.

Bob on!

Glossop North End, 6 consecutive wins between 1904 and 1911, all in division 2.

Five down, three to go.

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Think we’re generally in modern terms. I’m going Blackburn Olympic?

Blackburn Olympic is a fascinating story. For anyone who doesn't know about them, google it. Then imagine the enormity of a working class team bettering  the gentry for the FA cup for the first time, and what a seismic shift that was in 1883 when the aristocracy believed they were fundamentally better in every way (by divine right).

But no, we never played them 😁

We may well - and probably did - play them in exhibition games, Lancs cup, possibly even FA cup qualifiers, but I'm only including FA cup proper from 1881 then league, cup etc from 1888 onwards. For clarity, I'd include things like Anglo Scottish / Anglo Italian cup etc, but none of that's relevant here.

The three remaining ones are all currently still in the top four divisions. If further clues needed, I'll give which divisions they're in, but I'll save that til tomorrow.

10 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Think we’ve got a 100% record against Salford City and Harrogate Town but assume that doesn’t meet the criteria

Only 4 games and 3 games respectively, but correct on the 100% records.

10 hours ago, Stig said:

Preston? We always seemed to have a decent hold over these in the 90s/early 2000s

Best we've managed is 4 in a row, but we've done it 3 times; late 1890s, 1989-90, and 1993-2001.

Lost our first 6 against them - 2 FA cup, 4 league - including a 9-1 defeat and conceding 29 goals.

59 minutes ago, desperado said:

Grimsby (fish reference) and a shot in the dark at the other 2…. Port Vale and Tranmere

Grimsby is correct - 8 on the bounce between 1996 and 2000.

Good call on Port Vale but Bertie already got them.

Best we ever managed v Tranmere was 3 on the spin in the 1980s, all cup games. First time we ever played them was 1971.

Two left to get. One in our division, one in the prem.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Luton.

Bob on. Won our first 6 games 1898 to 1955, 3 in the cup. Then failed to win any of the next 6.

Only 1 more to get, same league as us.