Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Official Ashes Thread

Horwich

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Had an early morning call from a regular WW poster asking if I'd be taking t'Bowton flag to the first days play in Perth. Look out for it - held up by two tw@ts in fez's (one an ex-Wanderer).

The Aussie press having a field day. England players sat up all night with the lights on, crying for their mums apparently. Christ, I hope we shove it right up the arrogant gits.

Come on England.

Had an early morning call from a regular WW poster asking if I'd be taking t'Bowton flag to the first days play in Perth. Look out for it - held up by two tw@ts in fez's (one an ex-Wanderer).

The Aussie press having a field day. England players sat up all night with the lights on, crying for their mums apparently. Christ, I hope we shove it right up the arrogant gits.

Come on England.

Have a few Carlton colds for me Bolty. :drinks:

• Moderators
We shouldn't have lost 2 wickets by close though, should've just seen the day out.

Need 400 this innings. Ideally more.

i doubt the plan was to lose wickets

as for 'just seeing the day out' have you forgotten the previous test already?

it wasn't agood pitch for day one, and if you've a chance to make runs, hit the fooker

hopefully, tomorrow will be the best batting day of the test

expected to be red hot out there tomorrow and over the weekend, so the pitch is going to break up, be uneven and turn square i guess

i doubt the plan was to lose wickets

as for 'just seeing the day out' have you forgotten the previous test already?

it wasn't agood pitch for day one, and if you've a chance to make runs, hit the fooker

hopefully, tomorrow will be the best batting day of the test

expected to be red hot out there tomorrow and over the weekend, so the pitch is going to break up, be uneven and turn square i guess

Traditionally not a spinners wicket though, despite Panesar's success.

I think that when your openers are going at a run a ball, it might look impressive, but they will get out. In the final session of day one that's silly. Shame though cos I suspect Cook is a big score waiting to happen.

Anyway at least our bowling came back to life. Harmison and Panesar taking wickets - just what the doctor ordered.

Panesar is the first English spinner to get five in an innings at the WACA and only the 4th spinner in the world to do so.

Shane Warne isn't one of the other 3 either, nor is Murali.

Warmer tomorrow: 35-ish.

Hot on Day 3: 40.

• Members

Reet, who was the ex BWFC footballer in the photo with me? Don't worry about the fez thing - just a local traditon we have for any major England event (1st day only!). One dim Aussie asked me if I was a genuine 'Grand Master Poobah'!!??. Still trying to work out if he was calling me a coco shunter.

Yep lads - weather is lovely but I don't often comment on such things. Suffice to say that 36C for both Saturday and Sunday is going to be a genuine Test for everybody.

Shame we lost 2 wickets though - especially Bell as it was a no ball :angry:

Hopefully we can dig in today because the general opinion down here is thet the wicket will become a batsmans paradise as time goes by.

Don't be too envious of me lads, I only managed to get a 5 day pass :D

Seriously, I would gladly swap the pass with any of you fo 30 minutes in the stadium for the Doncaster Rovers FA Cup tie. Freezing me katangas off, drinking Tetleys smooth and being in the company of real supporters would do me fine.

• Members
Seddon

TSO wins the prize (even though I towd him who it was during yesterdays telephone conference :D ) The prize is a free seat on Squidgys next mystery tour. The second prize is a free seat on the next two.

Now you know it's Ian Seddon, I will expect to see a Sluffy epistle.

Aye lads, weathers good but next two days will be a bit warm. Rifles mobbing up tomorrow for a big day. Fearing the worst on the pitch but hoping for a hero to emerge.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.