Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Danny Bergara

Locked horns with him a few times early 90's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ort/6917615.stm

Stockport hero Danny Bergara dies

Former Stockport manager Danny Bergara has died at the age of 64, following a short illness.

Uruguayan-born Bergara is believed to be the first foreign manager to take over an English League club.

Bergara enjoyed his most successful spell at Stockport, where he played a key role in the Hatters' rise to the second tier of English football.

A former Mallorca and Sevilla player, Bergara also had spells in charge of Rochdale, Rotherham and Doncaster.

Bergara, a member of the Hatters' hall of fame, was in charge at Edgeley Park between 1989 and 1995.

He was born in Montevideo and won a handful of caps for Uruguay at Under-21 level before moving to Spain in 1962.

While playing in Spain, he married an English travel guide and when he retired from playing moved to England.

He began coaching with Luton reserves, before moving to a similar post at Sheffield United.

Bergara became a forerunner for the likes of Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho when he took over the reins at Rochdale, before moving to Stockport.

In addition to managing Doncster and having a second spell at Rochdale, Bergara also managed the Brunei national team, and worked with the England Under-18 and U20 teams.

Latterly, he filled a scouting role at Sunderland.

He once said in an interview with The Guardian: "It's possible that in a little way I helped open the way for the likes of Mourinho, Wenger and Eriksson. Now, though, there are too many foreigners in English football."

From growing up in Stockport I can confirm he was a local legend and a real character - I'm sure he got the sack for having a pissed up brawl with the chairman.

Sorry to hear about his untimely death. as for having a pissed up brawl, he sounds like my kind of man (in a non-homo sort of way)

Was it him that discovered the "legend" that was Kevin Francis?

His name takes you straight back to the start of the 90's. His teams used to get battered for 90 minutes and then Kevin Francis would head one in.

A proper character, his passion for the game came across in all those interviews on Granada Reports, RIP Danny Bergara.

Well seeing as though the Marple Whites 'Donner Kebab and Onion Bhaji' flag was originally a joke around a pissed day watching Stockport and singing that instead of Danny Bergara's blue and white army'

RIP

Damn now the story is out!!

Thinking of that made me laugh.

Also when we took 1 of the Stockport lads to Fulham away mid week, whilst we were signing Big Sams

super white army he was singing donner kebab and an onion bhaji.

Simple things ..................................

When Kevin Francis and Andy Preece were at Stockport circa 91 - 93 we had some cracking games

against them!! i remember a big game at Burnden the season we won promotion from the old div 2

when we beat em in a night match with goals from Walker and Mcginlay.

Great memories

R.I.P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.