Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mark Davies - Signed

Sluffy

Megson moves in with surprise ?650,000 bid for Wolves midfielder Davies

Gary Megson has lined up a shock ?650,000 raid on Wolves for midfielder Mark Davies. Bolton manager Megson is ready to poach Davies from Molineux after tabling a firm bid for the 20-year-old on Thursday night.

Davies is currently on loan at League One leaders Leicester City, who made a ?300,000 bid earlier this week, but now he is bound for the Barclays Premier League.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...s.html?ITO=1490

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davies has been out injured for two years, he played in the Wolves 1st eleven when he was 17, was playing in the acadamy team at 13, has captained England at under 16, 17 and 19 levels. Was considered one of our brightest youngsters until injuries took there toll. Has had disipline problems, well known with his mates in Walsall town centre and is known as the Prince of WS1. Would probably been sacked a long time ago if he was not so talented. I don't know if we will sell, he was a regular under Hoddle, I personally think that a move away from his mates would benefit his career. He is out of contract in the summer but is very popular with the Wolves supporters and a sale would not be popular.

Like he said - and less of a risk than ol' glass knees for ?5 million smackers.

By Glass knees I assume you mean Bullard?

Let me play devils advocate here. Bullard comes for ?6M, goes straight into the team and helps to keep us up = another season of Sky TV money or Davies comes and isn't ready for The Premiership, our one dimensional midfield can't keep us from relegation but hey, don't worry in The Championship Mark Davies will be a world beater - shame we will be skint and starting the season on -20 points.

Just saying like.

In a way, I agree with you. In the short term, Bullard could and probably will be the better option, but in the long term, I personally see him as a financial liability. No doubt Megson will make the wrong call no matter what he decides.

In a way, I agree with you. In the short term, Bullard could and probably will be the better option, but in the long term, I personally see him as a financial liability. No doubt Megson will make the wrong call no matter what he decides.

The size of our debt and the proportion of our income that comes from Sky TV money makes it very difficult to plan long term. In a way, for clubs living on the edge - like Bolton - long term means the end of the current season.

Agree, ?5m fee and +?50'k a week on a 4 year contract for a 30 year old player who could only play 21 games in the last 2 seasons before this is an unacceptable risk.

I don't get this financial doomsday scenario if unfortunately we go down. As long as Eddie Davies stays in there, we wouldn't be in dire straits. OK we might have to sell one or two players to reduce the ?20m short term bank debt, but we would survive and stand a good chance of coming straight back up before the parachute expires.

But we won't go down even if we don't strengthen any further in the window...

Why not spend 30 million to keep us in the prem?

Infact, I heard you get about 70 million more winning the premiership than you do getting relegated.

So we can spend 70 million and get it back when we win the prem

Then we can spend the money we would get for winning the champions league

hang on, this is starting to sound familiar

Infact, I heard you get about 70 million more winning the premiership than you do getting relegated.

Oh dear,another one who has to exaggerate....

Here we go again :roll:

Anyone who is not happy at the moment with our manager or direction obviously thinks we should be beating Utd 8-0, winning the Champions League,signing Messi blah blah blah.

Bollocks. We just escaped relegation last season and I thought we'd learned our lesson. Then it was a goalscorer, now it's a creative midfielder (although you could argue we still haven't solved the goal scorer yet as we don't seem to know what to do up front). So we have probably decided that as there are 3 worse sides than us so we don't need to take a risk on Bullard. We have to secure our short term while still planning long term. What other proven 'creative' premiership midfielders are going to be available in January? So now it is going to be a lot closer in May than it might have been.

So, we are buying a player, who is from a Championship side, but is actually on loan to a side below them...hmmmmm inspirational

Edited by Muzzle

Here we go again :roll:

Anyone who is not happy at the moment with our manager or direction obviously thinks we should be beating Utd 8-0, winning the Champions League,signing Messi blah blah blah.

Bollocks. We just escaped relegation last season and I thought we'd learned our lesson. Then it was a goalscorer, now it's a creative midfielder (although you could argue we still haven't solved the goal scorer yet as we don't seem to know what to do up front). So we have probably decided that as there are 3 worse sides than us so we don't need to take a risk on Bullard. We have to secure our short term while still planning long term. What other proven 'creative' premiership midfielders are going to be available in January? So now it is going to be a lot closer in May than it might have been.

Exactly, you were moaning just the same last Januaary about paying over the odds for a striker. 6 Million Lita? 22 Million Elmander?

Megson got that one right, il trust him over you this time to.

So, we are buying a player, who is from a Championship side, but is actually on loan to a side below them...hmmmmm inspirational

Give him a fcuking chance! From the looks of it, he's young, English and clearly talented.. :nea:

For interest this is what McCarthy says on the Wolves site.

"Mark's out at Leicester and because he's playing there's a bit of interest in him," said Mick.

"He's been injured and it's taken a long time to get back to full fitness but he's come back now and is showing his worth.

"He's somebody that we want to keep but maybe he's seen the other side and wants to leave himself.

"But if a player ends up leaving it would only be because somebody pays his worth.

"He's played through every level at England and the only reason that was halted was through injury.

"He's out of contract and we've offered him a new one but if he does go in the summer we are entitled to compensation because he's under the age of 24."

The local paper says this.

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has called for Bolton and Leicester to put up or shut up over bids for Mark Davies.

Davies, out of contract this summer, has reportedly attracted offers of ?650,000 from the Reebok and ?300,000 from the Foxes, where he is into his second month on loan.

Wolves have offered the 20-year-old a new deal, but, in the event of him leaving, any fee would be determined by a tribunal as he?s under 24.

McCarthy refused to confirm any bids, but suggested the level of fee being talked about was undervaluing Davies, the former England under-19s captain.

He said: ?If someone wants him, then let them offer the right amount for him. We enquired about Joe Mattock in the summer and we were told the fee was ?3m - and he?s played about 20 games.

?So how do we get from ?3m for a young left-back who?s played 20 games to ?300,000 one of our best young players.?

This Wolves fans discussion.

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=35397

remember mcateer?

It's not necc black + white

Give him a fcuking chance! From the looks of it, he's young, English and clearly talented.. :nea:

Woah, wait a minute, we haven't won in 5 matches, 2 points off bottom and we buy.........a championship division 1 player FFS

remember mcateer?

It's not necc black + white

And pre-season would be a future signing, but don't you think we should be concentrating on players who can get into the first team?

People on here have overestimated Bullards quality to a ridiculous extent.

Jimmy Bullard is a slighty above average Premiership midfielder, he's not a majestical creative midfielder who would've dragged an otherwise shite set of players, kicking and screaming to safety.

If the current team aren't good enough, short of signing Kaka, we're going down anyway whether we get Bullard, Barton, Davies, whoever. Luckily they are good enough and so theres no need to land ourselves with a ?17mil commitment for a money grabbing crock. We'll bring someone in the next week that'll tide us over til next season, and then we'll buy James Morrison, a much better bet.

I've much more faith with a Nolan/Muamba/McCann midfield that has got us to midtable after half a season, than i was last year with us selling the man who had been dragging an otherwise shite set of players kicking and screaming towards safety, and then getting Rasiak in return. But even then, that worked out fine.

The last week of the transfer window is always unbearable on here. Everyone waits until it closes, waiting for the big name player that never comes, all the while predicting that relegation and financial ruin awaits if we don't sign this player, and that any and every player any other team buys we should be in for.

And pre-season would be a future signing, but don't you think we should be concentrating on players who can get into the first team?

of course, if it is doable

For what it's worth. Spoken to my nephew who was at the Wolves Acadamy at the same time.

' Dave Jones rated him and played him with Ince in centre midfield, McCarthy didn't have the same opinion.' He likened him to a more attacking, Danny Guthrie type of player, and could turn out to be a gem if he stays injury free.

• Site Supporter
People on here have overestimated Bullards quality to a ridiculous extent.

Jimmy Bullard is a slighty above average Premiership midfielder, he's not a majestical creative midfielder who would've dragged an otherwise shite set of players, kicking and screaming to safety.

If the current team aren't good enough, short of signing Kaka, we're going down anyway whether we get Bullard, Barton, Davies, whoever. Luckily they are good enough and so theres no need to land ourselves with a ?17mil commitment for a money grabbing crock. We'll bring someone in the next week that'll tide us over til next season, and then we'll buy James Morrison, a much better bet.

I've much more faith with a Nolan/Muamba/McCann midfield that has got us to midtable after half a season, than i was last year with us selling the man who had been dragging an otherwise shite set of players kicking and screaming towards safety, and then getting Rasiak in return. But even then, that worked out fine.

The last week of the transfer window is always unbearable on here. Everyone waits until it closes, waiting for the big name player that never comes, all the while predicting that relegation and financial ruin awaits if we don't sign this player, and that any and every player any other team buys we should be in for.

Exquisitely put that man. :good: Bullard will be injured again before the end of the season, watch this space.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.