Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Elmander

If we can get back half of what we paid for him, I would snap their hands off.

16 games without a goal I heard Gowling mention on Saturday. Those who keep saying he will come good, I can see his skills trying to get out, we have faith in him etc etc need to open their eyes.

The lad just isn't ever going to fit in at Bolton, he just doesn't fit. He has been given every opportunity this season and apart from a lttle run before Christmas, he has failed to even look like a Premiership forward.

I have been willing to accept that he has played his part from time to time this season but fcuk me Mr Nearlyman is getting worse every game he plays.

If we continue to play him as the lone striker next season we are in for another very long season.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter
If we can get back half of what we paid for him, I would snap their hands off.

16 games without a goal I heard Gowling mention on Saturday. Those who keep saying he will come good, I can see his skills trying to get out, we have faith in him etc etc need to open their eyes.

The lad just isn't ever going to fit in at Bolton, he just doesn't fit. He has been given every opportunity this season and apart from a lttle run before Christmas, he has failed to even look like a Premiership forward.

I have been willing to accept that he has played his part from time to time this season but fcuk me Mr Nearlyman is getting worse every game he plays.

If we continue to play him as the lone striker next season we are in for another very long season.

Hence the reason he looks so bad, askin a lad to run his nuts off and chase down, I may be way off base but I dont think we play to his strenghts,

Hence the reason he looks so bad, askin a lad to run his nuts off and chase down, I may be way off base but I dont think we play to his strenghts,

Which is why I said he doesn't fit.

We have during many games this season played 2 up top but Elmander doesn't fit in this formation either. Watching Elmander closely, I really don't know what we can do to get the best out of him.

• Site Supporter

We have during many games this season played 2 up top but Elmander doesn't fit in this formation either. Watching Elmander closely, I really don't know what we can do to get the best out of him.

Proper service, maybe a ball playing midefielder and less of asking him to run round like a headless chicken?

• Site Supporter

Proper service, maybe a ball playing midefielder and less of asking him to run round like a headless chicken?

Guest Holly_Goodhead

He doesn't have any strengths.

Shite signing,not a Premier League player.

From what i can see of him i think he would struggle with a ball playing midfielder as well , when i watch him i think a lot of the time when we have possession he isn't sure exactly were to run he hesitates until told were to make his run.

I think if we paid 2-3 million for him he wouldn't be a bad signing the price tag ( which to be to the lad ain't his fault) which we paid for him has made him look worse because everyone was always gonna compare him to Anelka and other players at other teams who cost a similar price.

I wouldn't sell him but maybe considering changing his possession i no for a lot of his career he played as a midfielder and with a new striker he could maybe fit in the center of midfield after all he ain't afraid of getting stuck in and arriving late in the box may do the trick we could have the new Lampard on our hands :rofl:

Edited by W_a_n_d_e_r_e_r_s

I heard Smolarek is now bald. He must be pulling his bloody hair out to be given a run out. Elmander has been given chance after chance after chance and doesn't look like scoring. We played Boro a few weeks back who were downright terrible at the back and I thought he could get a confidence booster here but no.

He needs to be left out of the side as his form is piss poor.

I heard Smolarek is now bald. He must be pulling his bloody hair out to be given a run out. Elmander has been given chance after chance after chance and doesn't look like scoring. We played Boro a few weeks back who were downright terrible at the back and I thought he could get a confidence booster here but no.

He needs to be left out of the side as his form is piss poor.

I remember you when you were Jolly, Olly

Why do Football fans always need a scapegoat? O.K. Elmander is not performing the main reason he is asked to play as a lone striker, this clearly is not his game and he is suffering a lack of confidence, Megson must address this with a stronger midfield to allow 2 up top, can people look at reasons before slagging players off.

elmander must be dropped

week after week chances are laid on a plate and week after week he misses them

He doesnt even take them when they are put on a plate for him. That recent game when he had about 4 chances and never looked liked taking any. Started dribbling back towards his own goal when put clean through a couple of times.

I could say, get rid. But who would have him? ?10 mill for no better than a journeyman.

The thing is Megson has spent so much money on Elmander that he doesn't want to admit he's made a mistake in purchasing him. I'de much rather see Smorolek in the 1st team for the remaining few games. Elmander's been given his chance now and i just think Megson needs to grow some balls and drop him.

• Moderators
He doesnt even take them when they are put on a plate for him. That recent game when he had about 4 chances and never looked liked taking any. Started dribbling back towards his own goal when put clean through a couple of times.

I could say, get rid. But who would have him? ?10 mill for no better than a journeyman.

don't exagerate

he had one chance when he was running towards goal 30 yards out....

clean through, i think not

fact is, we've seen what he can do, and its plenty good enough

but, when you see the ball once every 3 games its a bit of a vicous circle

I agree the lad needs to be dropped as his confidence is rock bottom. Who would you replace him with? Smolarek? He can't play lone striker.

Playing up front on his jack in the premier league is the hardest position. He hasn't the attributes to do the job well. He isn't great at playing with his back to goal, not dominant in the air and he's not strong enough.

I still think we haven't seen the real Elmander, we aren't playing to his strengths and we are not supporting and supplying him enough.

don't exagerate

Exactly, the lad doesnt get a sniff of the ball, when he does get it, the midfield are 300 yards away and he has 3 defenders breathing down his neck,

Howewer if Megson sticks with 451 next season then Elamander isnt the player the play up front, if we went with 442 with Davo alongside him im sure he will come good

don't exagerate

No, he was clean through a couple of times, one on one with the keeper and didnt have the pace or confidence to take the ball on. Same game, about 12 yards out, favoured left foot, hit it about 15 yards over the bar then fell over. Spends more time fiddling with his socks than looking for the ball.

Your other point. We've all seen what Vaz Te can do on occasions. Not sure he'd be worth a guaranteed start if he'd played as crap the last 5 months.

No, he was clean through a couple of times, one on one with the keeper and didnt have the pace or confidence to take the ball on. Same game, about 12 yards out, favoured left foot, hit it about 15 yards over the bar then fell over. Spends more time fiddling with his socks than looking for the ball.

Your other point. We've all seen what Vaz Te can do on occasions. Not sure he'd be worth a guaranteed start if he'd played as crap the last 5 months.

I thought he was right footed? In fact im certain he is, shows how worthless your opinion on him has become :rofl:

Theres no point dropping Elmander and playing Smolarek becuase he will look shit and isolated like Elmander does. They both need to play with a strike partner to link up with and play off imo.

Edited by tylswhite

• Moderators

ah forgive nme for not knowing what you meant

put on a plate (ho fcuking ho) and clean through, you said

ill stretch a point and give you clean through, even though he wasn't

that did expose his lack of pace and nil confidence

it was a similar chance to the ones he finished comfortably in the north east

The guy can play and does show some nice touches BUT he just doesn't look a player that will fit at Bolton. I have watched him quite closely for the last few games and I really don't know what he is contributing to the team at the moment.

It is getting to the point were I think he is only being played in the vain hope that one week things will finally click for him. I cant see any evidence, with the way we line up and play, that this will happen.

What happens if we do sell him? Personally I think we'd just be making trouble for ourselves. We need a centre midfielder and Megson needs to concentrate on that instead of looking for a replacement for our striker. If we sold Elmander how much would we get for him? ?4-5m? And then we go spend that money on someone (who wouldn't be a world beater for that cash) and hope they fit in where Elmander hasn't.

Personally I think Elmander is a good player and could be quality in the Premiership if given the proper service. You can say what you like about his finishing of chances, when you only get one a game (if that), every game, it'd be difficult for any striker. Also, the only part of the season that many have said was any good was when he scored his goals - when we made chances for him and he was confident enough to bag a few.

We're not going to be able to improve our side by getting rid of him. We need to keep Elmander (and hopefully Cahill - could easily see him going back to Villa this summer) and then improve the rest of the team, centre back and midfield are the key areas now.

Any striker who goes through a dry spell lacks confidence. In alot of Bolton fans eyes that makes you a crap player. Tis garbage.

Davies has bagged more this season whilst playing with Elmander.

Every game the ball gets belted at him and I think some people expect him to bring it down and run past 5 players and score to make him worthy of the white shirt.

If we play him like we have been doing then he is a waste of money.

We need to get people around him, or play two up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.