Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Amsterdam

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only been a couple of times but a nice place to visit especially in summer

Small city centre

The canal boat does a circuit, it's hop on and off, pretty good way to get around

It's quite neatly divvied up, there's a section of museums, a market etc, and there is Anne Frank house and bits and bobs like that

You'd do the lot in 2-3 days

As for drinking and that, I was with the missus so I dodged the red light district except to buy some hash, went to the Jordaan area instead to eat and just drank in boozers on the canalside

I like the place, you should definitely go

I've been on a hen party and with my then boyfriend. It's a great place. It's not all seedy. Everytime I've been it's been sunny and there's plenty to look at other than the red light district. Don't be frightened of taking your bird there though and why not go to a sex show? When in Rome and all that (yes i know it's not Rome)...

Although the Bulldog bars are everywhere, you should try the quiet backstreet bars where the locals go. We went in one and got wankered on mojito's and spent a pleasant afternoon hearing some of the stories the locals tell of the tourists.

The boat trips are good too.

Hers reet.

Redlight is OK until the novelty wears off. Its not as seedy as it seems and live sex shows are all over. If you are taking a flatdick go early evening, its enough to get the jist but the spooks come out at night and you need to keep sharp especially round coon corner (can I say that on here?). Just make sure your Doris doesnt step in someone elses manmilk whilst wearing flip flops like mine did.

Better places are Leidersplein and Rembrantsplein both walking distance from city center. Full of bars and restaurants, beltin.

Hotels are quite expensive all over town, though if your not fussy then the Boatel opposite Central Station is OK. It's at the top of Damrak which is the main street from Central Station to Dam Square. From there everything is in walking distance.

Next door to the Boatel is a huge floating chinese restaurant which is the best I have ever been in and attracts all sorts of local highlife apparently. Spent my 30th in there, excellent place.

Its worth a weekend anyway.

• Members
It recently occurred to me that I'd never been.

Time to make amends.

Any tips welcomed

eg Where to stay/eat/visit

What to do

Thanks in anticipation.

Make sure you avoid anyone from the banking sector.

right here goes - spread throughout the day as I am at work......

HOTELS

I used to stay at a couple of 3 star hotels just near the Leidseplein. They are called Owl Hotel and The Leidse Square Hotel.

Nothing very fancy but clean room with en-suite and a TV (with BBC1 and 2 as part of the basic line-up)

Prices is around ?75 and ?105 per night (per room and NOT per person)

Also near the Leidseplein are the Marriot and The American Hotel - more expensive, but you do get more mod-cons in the room.

There are various hotels throughout the city and the prices do range from the very cheap to the very expensive.

A good website to visit for a price guide is www.bookings.com

But a good point to note is to find a hotel within easy reach of one of the two main squares (Leidseplein and Rembrandtplein) as they are the most popular areas in the Dam.

You could do hostelry as their is a hostel just on the edge of Vondelpark (again within 5 minutes walk of Leidseplein). Cheap at about ?30/night. www.stayokay.nl

Next post will be restaurants, and bars....

see you in a bit!

Make sure you avoid anyone from the banking sector.

There is only one problem with Amsterdam at the weekends - full of English people like Bolty - they are so far up their own backsides they think that they know it all and presume they are it when they are just a nobody - soon find out when they visit!!! (I've seen happen before and will see it in the future - know the signs and lets put it this way they do get ripped off, without them knowing, by many of the bars, restaurants etc) - Mainly because of the attitude of these vermin!

In fact its no wonder Bolty is in Perth, as any civilised society wouldn't give a damn about this person and would show this person up for what they are - a nobody!

Edited by DutchWhites

There is only one problem with Amsterdam at the weekends - full of English people like Bolty - they are so far up their own backsides they think that they know it all and presume they are it when they are just a nobody - soon find out when they visit!!! (I've seen happen before and will see it in the future - know the signs and lets put it this way they do get ripped off, without them knowing, by many of the bars, restaurants etc) - Mainly because of the attitude of these vermin!

In fact its no wonder Bolty is in Perth, as any civilised society wouldn't give a damn about this person and would show this person up for what they are - a nobody!

Who is this retard?

• Site Supporter

Oh dear

May I be the first to say goodbye.

I'd have a pop but frankly you're not worth the effort.

Snowed last time I was there. And Snow Patrol were playing. And the Queen was visiting. And that was just the first day.

Did a boat trip around the canals - which was interesting. Used the tram systems. And did sh?tloads of walking.

Found a couple of decent restaurants in the Red Light District for breakfasts and a decent enough Chinese in the RLD in the evening.

The OLD SAILOR in the RLD is quite a decent pub - most straight folk end up in there during the day. Great for people watching. You can see all the old pervs wandering the district, carefully selecting where they are about to spend their hard earned coin. Quite amusing.

Smoking with tobacco was still allowed last time - not sure how strong the reefers are now. Apparently you can smoke them in cafe bars as long as they don't contain tobacco. The space cakes range from mild to moongazing. I didn't think mine had kicked in..... but was spazzed out an hour or so later. And that was one of the weaker strength ones.

RLD is definitely worth a walk around if your missus is open-minded. But as others have suggested, just be on your guard. Their are a few scroats here and there, on street corners, not all Dutch either, I got the impression some were skanky cockney chancers. They'll ask you if you are English - best bet is to act dumb and mutter something in foreign lingo. Or just walk on. If you've had a spacecake - then at this point you will have a mad rush of paranoia and presume that every street urchin is out to get you (mug, murder, dump body in canal) and you'll dive straight into the nearest restaurant!!

Train to/from the airport is top drawer! Double decker stylee!!

Edited by Smiley

Lots of peasants hanging around

But on the whole I love Amsterdam, it's got a 'I don't give a f?ck' attitude

But there are rules

1 - One should only ever stay at the Marriott

2 - The Green Man and The Cock Ring are must visits

3 - Avoid going on pub crawls during the day, instead, go on a cake crawl

4 - The evening has to be finished off in the Leidersplien

Lastly, don't look at Miami White as he will try and hypnotise you as he's the devil apparantly

Lots of peasants hanging around

But on the whole I love Amsterdam, it's got a 'I don't give a f?ck' attitude

But there are rules

1 - One should only ever stay at the Marriott

2 - The Green Man and The Cock Ring are must visits - gay bars in the RLD!

3 - Avoid going on pub crawls during the day, instead, go on a cake crawl

4 - The evening has to be finished off in the Leidersplien

Lastly, don't look at Miami White as he will try and hypnotise you as he's the devil apparantly

That's not quite true is it numpy dumpty

Since when has the Green Man been a gay bar?

And I think the cock ring gives the second one away

But I'm not sure why you thought you had to point that out

We're men of the world on here and as long as you shut your eyes and think of a women, it's not gay

That's not quite true is it numpy dumpty

Since when has the Green Man been a gay bar?

And I think the cock ring gives the second one away

But I'm not sure why you thought you had to point that out

We're men of the world on here and as long as you shut your eyes and think of a women, it's not gay

Since when has it not bee a gaybar????

The only none gay bar in the RLD is the Old Sailor!

• Members

Hello again handsome. If I have said something to offend you, please tell me. Don't keep me guessing :D

FYI - I have stayed in the Dam many times. Brother and sister in law worked at the Okura for years. Didn't find out I was a nobody but, thankfully, a dutch banker has now enlightened me (rhyming slang intended) :rofl:

Never got ripped off anywhere - probably thanks to the local knowledge of the people I was with. Johnnys Bar in Volendam; Purmerend main street; Zaandam etc - had some great times in Amsterdam and surrounding places.

I can only assume these unwarranted attacks on myself are because I touched a nerve somewhere? Are you really a transvestite?

Edited by bolty58

• Members
I went watching Hugh Cornwell in Zaandam in 91, a fine place with a great Turkish bar

Then over to Zwolle the following evening

Steady on I. You'll have the c'unt scrambling for his Atlas or an Amsterdam area A-Z.

the Old Sailor!

That's the bugger.

Opposite the front entrance is a "window" with a lady of the night dancing about showing off her goods.

If you're in the Old Sailor for a lengthy period, you'll see different blokes come and go. Quite amusing. Especially during the day, when youngster come along with hoodies up and scarves across their faces. They usually come and go. And then come back. I can only presume they're asking the price and then off comparing or going to the cash machine!! haha!

Opposite here across the canal is the Sex Museum (I think) - well worth a look around.

Holland were playing whilst I was there and its a sight to see grown men dressed from top to bottom in Orange overalls. Very odd! But they're passionate about the team/country. Not a bad thing.

Also found a decent Argentinian Steakhouse too, sure I've got the card from there. Top steaks!