Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Attendances At The Reebok

I'd have thought the post war average is slightly above 17,000 ?

A quick glance through the club handbook shows this will be Bolton's 30th season out of 65 after the war with an average over 20,000

I think our average post-war attendance in the top flight is around 26,000, so an average of 20,000 for all divisions sounds about right. Pre-war figures, especially those before turnstiles are pretty much just guesswork.

When Bolton played Stoke just after the war they employed a 'head-checker' whose sole job was to assess when a section of terracing was nearing capacity. That's as scientific as it got back then! Unfortunately he was under the Manny Road Stand and therefore out of sight of the Embankment End when there was a huge surge in capacity just before kick-off and 33 people died.

I think our average post-war attendance in the top flight is around 26,000, so an average of 20,000 for all divisions sounds about right. Pre-war figures, especially those before turnstiles are pretty much just guesswork.

When Bolton played Stoke just after the war they employed a 'head-checker' whose sole job was to assess when a section of terracing was nearing capacity. That's as scientific as it got back then! Unfortunately he was under the Manny Road Stand and therefore out of sight of the Embankment End when there was a huge surge in capacity just before kick-off and 33 people died.

Don't think the head checker would have helped, pretty sure the doors of the Embankment were pushed in due to the numbers outside the stadium.

That's a list of all time attendances not post-war attendances.

If you have a look at last years year book, it has our average crowd for every season since the war.

It's round about the same.I was bored and added them all up!!

• Moderators

We don't get 'shit' crowds. That's a myth perpetuated by supporters of bigger teams who think Rupert Murdoch invented football.

I was there on Saturday and V Wigan

it's no myth

they were shit crowds, all things considered

We played Bristol City (bogey team!)in 1990 (Div 3!) with over 11,000 on and it was a superb atmosphere. I remember it kicking off everywhere too.

Aye, with 5000 City fans!

And a few hundred of them marched down Bradshawgate early doors smashing as many pub windows as they could find.

Luckily Bolty & his 4 mod mates arrived on their scooters & scattered 'em all outside the Alma.

:roll:

The shit fans are those Boltonians going to Old Trafford and Anfield for their football, the weak willed, disloyal shithouses.

They dont even go and watch them, they would go every week though if they could get tickets!

I keep telling them its impossible if they dont try, first step would be to ring up the ticket office!

The way things are going over at Anfield / Old Trafford they are not able to hide behind that anymore!

how anoying is it when you're listening to post match phone ins on the radio and the presenter goes, 'now lets speak to Brian from Bolton' and your ears pick up, then 'hello Brian, you want to talk about Man Utd' then 99% of the time Brian starts with 'I havent beeen today but...' argghh!

fuck off Brian.

Edited by Totty

ok, our average attendance is shit

It amazes me that some Bolton supporters are prepared to slag off our attendances in complete ignorance of the facts. Only City and Utd in the immediate area, have better average attendances since the war and i'd say it's a lot easier for them to pull in supporters than a team that hasn't won anything for over 50 years and has never even come close to winning the league, wouldn't you?

A population of approx. 262,800. So on a good day, in theory, 10% ofthat town comes to the match. Now that's not a bad stat BUT, as others have said, it does irk when people from the area with no real ties to other teams decide to support another team. Maybe I've got an old fashioned attitude towards football though.

A population of approx. 262,800. So on a good day, in theory, 10% ofthat town comes to the match. Now that's not a bad stat BUT, as others have said, it does irk when people from the area with no real ties to other teams decide to support another team. Maybe I've got an old fashioned attitude towards football though.

There should be a rule that you have to support the team from the town you're born in. The population of the town is less relevant though when you consider the number of clubs with which we share our catchment area. I can't think of any other teams that are surrounded by five other Premier League teams including one of the biggest clubs in the world and one of the richest!

• Site Supporter

Whenever I meet a mate whose kids 'support' ManU or Chelsea (not Liverpool these days!) I point out to them that they'll probably never get to see their chosen team play live. I also point out that Bolton are nearly as good and you could go every week. Leaving him/her with the words, "Your choice!"

Had a few successes too! :thumbsup:

His dad was pissed off though, he's a Bury fan!:yahoo:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.