Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Attendances At The Reebok

• Site Supporter

It was certainly a disapointing gate , but hasnt it always been so, if you have not got a season ticket & are a bit skint after the

festivities which match gets the elbow ?(excluding Sat cup match)...........Its rarely a good game & my feeling walking down to the game

was not a good one so hey-ho I dont think we will get a lower league gate for the rest of the season.

As for saturday that might be a proper embarassment !

Will it be an embarassment or will it put two fingers up to the FA and those others who set gate money for this type of ultra-low profile games? I personally think the latter. The sooner they realise we're not all on 6 figure salaries the better.

Our biggest attendance this season was against Blackpool. Are you saying they're a 'top side' and that people only turned up to see Charlie Adam?

They brought a shit load of fans didn't they? Easily biggest away allocation...

Our biggest attendance this season was against Blackpool. Are you saying they're a 'top side' and that people only turned up to see Charlie Adam?

It was only a big crowd due to a massive away support and a lot of folk went expecting a bit of argy bargy in my opinion.

Another way to look at it is how much or crowds have improved.

I'm not the only one on here to remember games in the late 80's and early 90's when we'd get giddy because the crowd topped 5 figures. '10000 expected on for Burnley this Bank Holiday Monday you know...'

For a period of maybe 10 years our crowds were anything between 3 and 8000. We simply lost a generation of fans whilst Utd and Liverpool sat in our back garden and Jacks Blackburn went shopping for fans in satalite places like Chorley.

Yet from around the mid 90's to the early 00's our crowds more or less tripled from that (say) 6-8000 average to 18-24000. Thats a huge jump.

A few are then going to tail off as the novelty wanes, a few will be priced out, a few will move onto the next chapter in their lives. There will be a dozen excuses why folk do not go any more. But when crowds tripled in such a short space of time perhaps it was inevitable there would be a levelling out period afterwards.

Edited by Smiffs

I'm not the only one on here to remember games in the late 80's and early 90's when we'd get giddy because the crowd topped 5 figures. '10000 expected on for Burnley this Bank Holiday Monday you know...'

For a period of maybe 10 years our crowds were anything between 3 and 8000. We simply lost a generation of fans whilst Utd and Liverpool sat in our back garden and Jacks Blackburn went shopping for fans in satalite places like Chorley.

Yet from around the mid 90's to the early 00's our crowds more or less tripled from that (say) 6-8000 average to 18-24000. Thats a huge jump.

A few are then going to tail off as the novelty wanes, a few will be priced out, a few will move onto the next chapter in their lives. There will be a dozen excuses why folk do not go any more. But when crowds tripled in such a short space of time perhaps it was inevitable there would be a levelling out period afterwards.

Excellent perspective. And to balance it out, our club are doing lots to get the next generation of Wanderer's through the gates with the low kids prices.

• Moderators

Bolton's all time Average crowd is around the 17000 mark anyway, so what does it matter.

wtf has this got to do with owt

i can see when you're shit you wanna keep dragging up history but it means nowt

wtf has this got to do with owt

i can see when you're shit you wanna keep dragging up history but it means nowt

Your rather Dim at times.

People are complaining about your Crowds, when im pointing out that they are better than average, and not bad crowds at all.

Dnnt be so precious ffs.

dim?

you wanna tell me the relevance of what was happening in the 30s?

they might still have plague and diptheria in the slums of L4 but we've moved on

Brilliant, you must live with your eye shut most of the time.

What a prize tool.

• Moderators

lets make it easir for you as i can see you're struggling even with an eye shut

what have our attendances in 1933 got to do with the ones in 2011

if its still beyond you, i'll give you a clue

lets make it easir for you as i can see you're struggling even with an eye shut

what have our attendances in 1933 got to do with the ones in 2011

if its still beyond you, i'll give you a clue

Who said 1933 ??

Remember the second leg of the Freight Rover Trophy Northern Final when we played Wigan at Burnden? I think there was around 12,000 on that night but you'd think there was 112,000 on, such was the buzz about the game. If we get a similar attendance for the F.A. Cup tie against them, it will be seen as a very poor crowd. How times have changed.

Remember the second leg of the Freight Rover Trophy Northern Final when we played Wigan at Burnden? I think there was around 12,000 on that night but you'd think there was 112,000 on, such was the buzz about the game. If we get a similar attendance for the F.A. Cup tie against them, it will be seen as a very poor crowd. How times have changed.

Aye, spot on and I dont think it was that many!! About 9000 I think (that might have been the Blackpool game)

Bolton's all time Average crowd is around the 17000 mark anyway, so what does it matter.

That sounds about right, this will be ten seasons in a row Bolton have averaged over 20,000 and for the first 5 seasons in the run it was over 25,000.

Is there a website with all time average crowds on?

We played Bristol City (bogey team!)in 1990 (Div 3!) with over 11,000 on and it was a superb atmosphere. I remember it kicking off everywhere too.

didn't they bring a ridiculously large away following that day (relatively speaking) - and did we win 1:0 with a Scott Green goal, or am I making things up again?

didn't they bring a ridiculously large away following that day (relatively speaking) - and did we win 1:0 with a Scott Green goal, or am I making things up again?

They did bring a large following that day, but the Paddock and Manny Road North were busier than usual too.

You were right about the score/scorer too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.