Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nat Lofthouse Funeral

Smiley

• Site Supporter

Truly fantastic event. Unforgettable. Frank Worthington was last man out of grounds as he was chatting and signing autographs to a few of us. Fortunately still had an old Wanderers -v- Sporting Lisbon ticket in a dark corner of my wallet and got him to sign it. What a gent and some good stories etc about Nat et al.

Sad day for Bolton but I hope there are plenty in town to see off the great man. Nice piece in the New York Times about him - I bet he never dreamt of the kind of reaction his passing would have, shows the measure of the man.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/sports/soccer/26iht-SOCCER26.html?ref=soccer

"Then, and now, his part was not irrelevant. It helped pave the way for the global game, a game in which Chelsea?s four goals on Lofthouse?s ground Monday came from an Ivorian striker, two Frenchmen and a Brazilian.

The game is the same; the boundaries, and the rewards, have simply multiplied.

"

Nice stuff :good:

gutted i missed it today. hoping to catch it on the news later on.

You can watch Phil Gartside and Gordon Taylor's speeches here: http://www.livestream.com/granadareports/video?clipId=pla_07263a41-d52a-4ddd-a938-86bb1e231843&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Did Gordon Taylor make any notes? I didn't see him glance down once and he spoke for about 15 minutes. Great speech.

What a fantastic turnout, the big man would be proud.

The speeches by Gartside and Taylor, well what can I say that hasn't been said, very moving indeed, shed a few tears there I did, as did many others.

Met a lad from th'midlands who wasn't even a Bowton fan in BL1 soon after the service. He had travelled up espescially for the service, and was telling me how he met Nat in the eighties and how he had talked about footie with him, having taken the time to when he didn't have to, the lad was truly moved and told me how he wouldn't have missed this for the world!

That just about summed Nat up, always the gentleman and EVER the legend!!

Great turn out today Bolton did Sir Nat proud. Great to see so many young ones there too. Can only echo the sentiments about Gartside and Taylor.

Bburn Wanderer, take the detention. Technically you are in the wrong and the Headmaster has to be "seen" to be doing his job but you have stood up for something you believe in which will stand you in good stead in later life, take it like a man.

Was really gutted today that I got sent to the Midlands on a break down, looking over the links what a send off our Nat had, truly superb.

Sir Tom Finney looked really aged to, but full credit to the bloke for turning out to see Nat off.

Is that Syd Farrimond infront of Owen Coyle carrying Nats coffin?

Edited by Ands1

Guest bwfcdan

Just watched the report again on SSN! Looked a smashing turnout. Think some are being a bit harsh on Fergie, from what I saw he just looked deep in thought most of the time! He turned out today for Nat's funeral, so fair play to him! If he'll do for Nat, then for today at least he'll do for me..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.