Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nat Lofthouse Funeral

Smiley

Very moving outside the church. A lot of people listening to the service on the loudspeakers. A nice euplogy from Gordon Taylor I think. Bloody cold though.

On reflection it may have been Franny Lee.

Just spoke to Greavo and he confirmed it was Tiger Taylor!

Edited by Boby Brno

• Members

That was very moving and, in amongst all the football glitterati, I was pleased to see Lever Ender in L.A. inside and chatting to Amir Khan on the way out.

Would have loved to see more footage of the people of Bolton and their reaction to the passing of the coffin etc.

Would have loved to see more footage of the people of Bolton and their reaction to the passing of the coffin etc.

Same, I'm guessing their will be loads of videos put up on YouTube in no time though. Be nice if the club could do a DVD of the funeral showing the ceremony and footage of the surrounding streets as well.

• Members

Same, I'm guessing their will be loads of videos put up on YouTube in no time though. Be nice if the club could do a DVD of the funeral showing the ceremony and footage of the surrounding streets as well.

I hope so mate.

Thanks to all for the links. Being able to watch the service live from 12,000 miles away was pleasing.

It was a who's who of ex Wanderers players walking up Churchgate after the service. Roger Hunt Alan Gowling john Ritson John Thomas Greavo Steve Taylor Tony Caldwell and having a pint in the Spinning Mule Freddie Hill (alias God)

there were more but I can't remember.

Add Charlie (super) Cooper to that list.

Edited by Boby Brno

It was cold in that churchyard, and the churchyard not made for a wheelchair either, but wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Even over the speakers outside, without a picture, you could tell Gartside was emotional. Who wouldn't be.

It seemed a good turn out by the town & supporters. hard to tell when you're in the middle of it & trying not to knock people down with the wheelchair.

A memorial DVD would be great. After all, they did one for Burnden Park.

It was a fine send off I thought - very dignified and respectful. Great to see so many Bolton players past and present outside. Gartside spoke very well and as it has been mentioned already you could tell how emotional he was just by listening to him. The procession from the town hall behind the mayor with the lone piper was a nice touch as well. It was nice to see so many people lining the streets all the way from the church up to Woolworths, round the corner and down the hill - a fantastic turnout which just shows how much he meant to the town.

Very good turnout in my eyes. Lot of fans young and old all down churchgate. Also saw big sam nip into town cafe as I was having a brew...took one look inside and though fuck that!

Ended up hearing Gartsides eulogy from inside varsity as we went inside after the service started. Gone up massively in my estimation! Gordon Taylor too, cracking all round. Way too young to see Nat play but by christ the stories they told made me proud to be a wanderer!

Very nice touch that OC and SKD where pallbearers too. Didnt expect that and fair play to em for doing it.

Was in the waiting room at bolton station with Sir Trevor Brooking as I was heading back to Manc . Nice that the FA sent a representative.

"Sir" alex ferguson nodding off. What a cunt!

All in all a very good send off for a proper Bolton legend!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.